Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: April 26, 2016 11:32AM

"Within the sound of my voice are many young women, young men, and children. I plead with you to be worthy, to be steadfast, and to look forward with great anticipation to the day you will receive the ordinances and blessings of the temple."
—David A. Bednar

What exactly are these so-called 'blessings" that are supposedly received? Since the main function of the temple is the questionable sealing of couples and families for eternity and secret sealings to be gods (second anointing) reserved for a select few, what is really there for single members?

When I went through the SLC temple in 1960 prior to my mission, I don't recall receiving any identifiable "blessings". I just remember being naked and going through a lot of hocus pocus bullshit, none of which I felt was sacred. It seemed to be more like ancient pagan worship.

If I missed something, please let me know.

As an aside, my membership removal letter said that all my blessings have been withdrawn. However, I haven't missed anything as far as I am aware. If it was the blessing to associate with TBMs, I am grateful that particular blessing was taken away.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: frackenmess ( )
Date: April 26, 2016 11:43AM

I don't recall any blessings I EVER received from attending the Temple.

It was a cheap date night and even the food in the cafeteria seemed rather Sysco.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: April 26, 2016 03:43PM

The member is the one blessing the temple/ LDS church 'programs', not the other way around. I accidentally blessed it when as a teen we drove 1,000 miles to waste a vacation, and by being nearly drowned for people who no longer have to get wet for "BLESSINGS".

"Temple blessings" come to the church who are BLESSED by your FREE SERVICE, saving them from having to pay someone for it! It's modern day 'slavery' - [believing] you are doing it because you have no other choice... and cannot run away.

A blessing is a reward. The only one being rewarded is the "church", while the "Saint" is being deluded, over-worked and devalued.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2016 03:45PM by moremany.

Posted by: cognitivedissonance ( )
Date: April 26, 2016 04:46PM

The only blessing I recall is walking past all the noble and great ones on my way to the CK, using my signs and tokens as I saunter.

What rubbish!

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: April 26, 2016 06:26PM

If Bednar thinks it is a blessing to be with MY family through all eternity he has a crazy sense of humor. As an apostate and unworthy person for temple blessings, I am proud and happy to turn over my bat spit crazy family members to be with HIM in eternity. The apostate, sane family members and I will be much happier in Hades without them and without him. Just keep your temple blessings away from me.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 26, 2016 06:34PM

My dear parents were faithful temple attenders in Canada, the US, Australia and Europe. They were major financial supporters of the church and the missionary program. In their declining years all that giving earned then a life of near poverty after being taken advantage of by a Mormon shyster in a business deal. They were not his only victims. Member of his own family warned me about him and I know he is a temple recommend holder.

RB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2016 12:59AM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: ModOne ( )
Date: April 26, 2016 09:40PM

That bites! And I complain about the 30K - 40K they got from me altogether in tithing. Now I'm rebuilding my net worth and retirement accounts.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: April 27, 2016 12:40AM

The temple is about covenants. The members believe that by making these promises/covenants the Lord is bound to bless you.

And here they are folks! Seven of them.
Garments, the law of obedience, sacrifice, tokens,etc, law of gospel, chastisy and consecrecation...

http://lds4u.com/lesson5/templecovenants.htm

Once they get your naked body in the garment, you are theirs!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2016 12:40AM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: April 27, 2016 03:36AM

It used to be a 10 hour overnight drive to the temple for our ward. So during the endowment ceremony I was blessed with some seriously needed nap time.

Posted by: Shinehahbeam ( )
Date: April 27, 2016 10:44AM

Surely you've experienced decreased health in your navel since your blessings were withdrawn! And how's the marrow in your bones?

I don't know that any real blessings are promised in the endowment...unless you're just buying the super secret handshakes to get into heaven with your promise to give everything you have and will ever have to TSCC. If the handshakes are the blessings, then they can't really take those away from you.

There are some blessings promised in the initiatories, but most members don't subject themselves to the naked touching enough to remember what those blessings are.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: April 27, 2016 11:41AM

The blessings of the temple come in the next life. You know, the one that nobody knows is even there so we can promise anything we want about it to gullible people.

The blessings in this life are that if you shut off your brain, you can believe in some glorious afterlife (which BTW is not described at all in the temple), but you will know you have the passwords to get there.

So if your life sucks and doing all the required mormon stuff sucks and your marriage sucks and there is no real joy in life, you have the "blessing" of hope.

Someone on here said yesterday that they don't believe in life after death, they believe in life before death. That's what happens when you decide to take life into your own hands and let the elusive afterlife take care of itself, if and when you get there. You start to live. You seek for joy before you die instead of just hoping for it afterwards. And then it hits you that when someone says "the blessings of the temple" you shake your head and go, "What Blessings??!!" Hint: there are none.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: April 27, 2016 11:51AM

Health in your navel? Marrow in your bones? Power in their priesthood?

Edit: Strength in your loins and in your sinews?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2016 11:52AM by Elder Berry.

Date: April 27, 2016 12:00PM

Oh wait... I thought of a wonderful blessing!!
One! It was quiet - no phone calls, no responsibilities or demands from family.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2016 12:00PM by SusieQ#1.

Date: April 27, 2016 12:33PM

I never thought of it as a quiet place.

The constant whisper voices drove me mad.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 27, 2016 02:08PM

demonstrating handshakes, etc., is peaceful? I'd rather be at home with my twins hanging on my legs which used to drive me nuts some days. The temple for me was ANYTHING BUT peaceful.

Date: April 30, 2016 12:45PM

The drive to and from was better.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 27, 2016 01:48PM

Ovaltine.

Posted by: flamingsword ( )
Date: April 27, 2016 01:56PM

To get these fictitious "blessings" you have to obtain a recommend, which requires paying TITHING, which of course entitles you to even more "blessings"

Date: April 27, 2016 01:59PM

flamingsword Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> To get these fictitious "blessings" you have to
> obtain a recommend, which requires paying TITHING,
> which of course entitles you to even more
> "blessings"

This is the "Pay to Play" game they have going. Way too expensive. It has one benefit, IF...you itemize on your tax returns, your contributions for tithing, missions (all checks made out to the LDS Church) can be used as a deduction, which in our case, meant we got about 1/3 to 1/2 of our contributions back in the form of tax refunds. Doesn't work for everyone, of course, but at the time, it worked for us. I called our tax returns: Tithing Refunds! :-) We had two on missions for part of the time, which really helped those refunds!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2016 02:00PM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: sweetspirit ( )
Date: April 27, 2016 09:14PM

I NEVER saw or heard anything in the temple that I would consider a blessing, other than it puts you in good with the club. And you get to hang out in a 5 star hotel lobby for a while, contemplating what WTH your doing there.

As a member of the 'throat slasher club' this creepy aspect of temple worship made temple blessings even harder to comprehend.

Posted by: ChubbyTheFat ( )
Date: April 27, 2016 10:44PM

I resigned before I got a chance to go. Based on what I saw on YouTube, the only blessings available is the fact you get to see a theatrical version of Paradise Lost (with Masonic handshakes) and ugly underpants.

Posted by: m0rtes ( )
Date: April 27, 2016 10:56PM

I really don’t remember much from the first time going in for my own endowment. I remember the person sitting next to me who passed away some time ago helping me through it. He would surprise that I left the church, but at the same time I think he would understand. He was good guy I miss him a lot.
Back to the temple; I remember at one point I wanted to run, I don’t know why, maybe it was The SPIRT saying “get the hell out of there why you can.”
At the same time though I think back at that time it felt good to be a part something, though I didn’t understand it then…and understand it too much now.
Being a member of the other cult, a masonic lodge, I can totally see the similarities and seen how Joseph Smith ‘BORROWED’ from the Masons.
I don’t have any anger for the church or its people and could care less what the leaders say. I’m thinking what ever gets you through this life then so be it. If it’s blowing money on a faith that isn’t real or blowing your hard earned cash on strippers, go for it.
I stopped giving money to the church about six years ago, I’m married and I never seen a stripper besides in a movie on the internet, like I said what ever gets you through

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.