Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: April 26, 2016 07:20PM

Howdy RFM peeps both young and old, both veteran and new.

I haven't been posting much other than the Sunday thread because I've been working on a big project, and it's finally done!

I give to you, "Mormonism is like Totally True and Sh*t."

This book took over two years to complete. There's a lot of research that went into this book, and it's quite different. This is a piece that deals not just with satirizing Mormonism, but also making a mockery of Mormon Apologetics.

I'm very proud of this book - it is the greatest satire ever written by me or any other dinosaur.

I want everyone to enjoy it except for Mormons who would find it upsetting to their rum tum tummies. Also people who don't like profanity or general naughtiness should avoid this book too. It is the naughtiest thing written by any dinosaur as well.

This is the only thread I get to promote the book, and this thread was OK'd by Eric - which was super kind of him to do.

Woot!

High fives to everyone around, especially En Sabah Nur who helped with the research and references!

http://www.amazon.com/Mormonism-Like-Totally-Raptor-Jesus-ebook/dp/B01ERYJ9X8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1461712241&sr=8-1&keywords=mormonism+is+like

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: April 26, 2016 07:23PM

Will there be a paperback version? My Kindle is not working. Or a PDF version? I am willing to pay I just don't have a Kindle.

Posted by: NeverMo in CA ( )
Date: April 26, 2016 08:00PM

Me, too--no Kindle! Maybe I should just break down and finally buy one.

Posted by: En Sabah Nur ( )
Date: April 26, 2016 08:04PM

You can download the kindle app for any smartphone, PC or Mac.

Honestly, I never use my Kindle anymore, because my phone works nearly as well and is much more portable.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 26, 2016 08:15PM

Fabulous.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: April 26, 2016 08:57PM

If it's as good as your first, I'm going to have to put on a pair of Depends when I read it.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: April 26, 2016 09:46PM

brb ~ downloading kimball app

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 27, 2016 12:06AM

hope you paid extra for the golden kimball! It's worth it!!!

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: April 27, 2016 04:21AM

I have a Kobo e-reader which reads the epub format. Anyone know if it will work on that?

Tom in Paris

Posted by: Darkfem ( )
Date: April 27, 2016 11:57AM

Congratulations, RJ! It's an amazing book!

I have been trying to post my review on Amazon, but they purged it! I guess they think I am biased. I'm not!

Anyways, I thought some of you might like to read it:

When we last saw Raptor Jesus, he was moving on with his life after resigning from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Five years have passed. Raptor Jesus has moved back to Utah. And this sequel of sorts begins with RJ being called to repentance by his Mormon apologist cousin, E. Raptor Jesus. It turns out that E. Raptor has written his own set of essays about Mormonism, and he intends his collection to serve as the definitive defense of his faith. He challenges his cousin to remain an apostate after reading them. However, a series of unforeseen events ends with Raptor Jesus promising his cousin that he will publish his manuscript. He does, by juxtaposing his E. Raptor’s apologist essays with a backstory that explains some of the context. The result is this book, a scrupulously researched roller-coaster ride through Mormon doctrine, culture, history, and politics that will stand as one of its most piercing satires. It is also uproariously funny.

The book is structured to highlight E. Raptor Jesus’s collection of apologist essays. In general, they cover the topics about the Church’s history and doctrine that have been most troublesome of late: polygamy, race, sexuality, tithing, and Joseph Smith’s character more broadly. The backstory essays contributed by Raptor Jesus and his brilliant sidekick En Sabah Nur showcase their escapades as they struggled to “translate” the book from E. Raptor Jesus’s notes on his dimly lit “ancient tablet” computer. As the translating progresses, Raptor Jesus becomes more and more narcissistic and monomaniacal. Sound familiar?

A word about E. Raptor Jesus. He is truly Raptor Jesus’ doppelgänger. In his defense of Mormonism, he uses some of the most filthy, disgusting, profane linguistic constructions available in any language. Many of them made me snort with a mixture of surprise and glee. A few of them grossed me out. And yet, anyone familiar with the work of Mormon apologists will immediately recognize the fallacious reasoning, haughty arrogance most of all boiling rage beneath the surface of their work. E. Raptor shoves this subtext in your face, and you may choke on it from time to time.

It’s obvious that E. Raptor is barely able to contain his emotions enough to document his arguments on his ancient tablet computer. At times, especially in his final essays when his research begins to erode the scaffolding of his faith, he grows even more strident and defensive. His prose convulses with contradictions. For example, concerning Joseph Smith’s flagrant polygamous activities, he reasons: “Joseph NEEDED multiple wives in order to be fully saved and attain the godhood that he so often talked about, so he NEEDED at least three wives. Maybe he didn’t need the tens of wives, or the teeny tiny teens, barely legals, milfs, and gilfs—but that is a lubed up slippery slope I have no desire to slide up and down.” Clearly, E. Raptor’s essays celebrate the absurd and often disgusting truths that lie beneath the surface of contemporary Mormonism.

This book is also meticulously researched. Almost every chapter ends with a set of hyper-linked references that would lead a curious reader to a rich set of edifying texts, many of which are truly hilarious. On their own, the references would provide hours of entertainment.

And finally, as I mentioned earlier, I believe this book will stand as one of the most piercing satires of Mormonism, or of any religion. While the mocking throughout can be ruthless, it is always from a place of honest experience. As Raptor Jesus writes in his introduction, “Blasphemy is one of the most important human endeavors. ….satire is useful for us to grow as a species. The ideas and institutions we create, no matter how ideally we want them to operate, can cause just as much harm to people as good, sometimes more so.”

Posted by: tiptoes ( )
Date: April 28, 2016 12:44AM

Yes! I cannot wait to read Raptor's latest. I credit RJ for not only coming to my rescue 4 years ago composing a pointed rebuttal to a naysayer, but for making me laugh again (out loud). He does have a potty mouth but he definitely has a way with words that will make you wish you were as smart and witty as he. Cheers to my scaly friend RJ!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 28, 2016 02:10AM

I bought it. I have read the intro and the first two "chapters".

I have giggled and tittered but have not yet laughed out loud. But I'm patient...

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: April 28, 2016 03:00AM

Perfect. I have been reading about a serial rapist and it's taking forever to finish the book. Your book will be a fabulous follow up.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: April 28, 2016 01:17PM

*smileyfacegoeshere*

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: April 28, 2016 03:06PM

From just the intro, it is obvious how much work went into the tremendous amount of research.

Posted by: En Sabah Nur (nli) ( )
Date: April 29, 2016 03:03PM

Raptor and I put an insane amount of research into this book, as well as an equal or greater amount of alcohol into our bodies.

For God's sake, we had to frequently visit LDS Freedom Forum and FAIR Mormon! And RJ visited LDS dot org every goddamned day. No amount of vodka would convince me to do the same, but he's a beast.

As a researcher, I would urge all of you to not take E. Raptor's, Raptor's or my words at face value; check our sources and judge for yourselves.

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: April 29, 2016 03:23PM

$ 5.99 for the Kindle version of a 372 page book is a very fair price. I've already downloaded a copy into my Kindle. Best of luck with future sales.

I'm always in support when one of us gets off our dead ass and actually publishes something. I could fill a fat journal with all the books I have thought I may write someday.

"Dedicated to Mary, the Virgin Mother of God"! I love it already.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2016 03:26PM by Templar.

Posted by: Darkfem ( )
Date: April 29, 2016 11:44PM

Have you heard this recent speech by Holland? At about 2:00 in he starts to lose it and sound just like E Raptor. Perfect example of art imitating life imitating art!

They won't let me post the link here, but if you google "elder Holland Tempe devotional don't you dare bail" you'll find it.

Date: April 30, 2016 12:46PM

Raptor Jesus' book is entirely independent, and he is relying on word of mouth for advertising. If you read it and genuinely enjoy it, please give it a good rating on Amazon and tell your friends.

This book is a result of great personal sacrifice and enormous artistic effort from RJ, and the both of us spent countless hours poring over books, scholarly journals and YouTube videos to make it happen. Your support is absolutely essential to get eyes on this.

Date: May 14, 2016 03:29PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.