Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: April 27, 2016 11:22AM

A continuation of themaster's thread asking if the 55+ crowd who are very active posters here were angry after learning the truth about mormonism:

Yes, I'm in this age group. And you are very observant and on target.

We were the ones who grew up when the church was actually a good place to raise a family. Before the correlation days. We built our own chapels. We had to raise money and they really meant something to us. We went to M.I.A. when it was fun and fellowshipping was a big thing. Many kids came to activities whose families were not active Sunday meeting goers. We had dances all the time and there were no modesty police. We wore sleeveless shirts and dresses and nobody thought anything about it. I do remember "spaghetti straps" being a baddy, though. We had a budget to do things and we could have car washes or bake sales, etc. if there was something we wanted to do and raise money for it. It didn't have to be spiritual. We had roadshows and dance festivals and all-Southern California regional things like days on Catalina and youth conference on the Queen Mary.

There were fewer temples and baptism trips to the temple were a trip and a whole day activity. But there was no way to find out the things about the temple that are out there everywhere now. We made the death oaths and pantomimed our own violent demise when we got our endowments. We wore the one-piece garmies. It was such a different world.

But mostly we were taught unequivocally that JS saw God exactly like it is described in the 1938 version of the first vision and that there were no conflicting stories, Brigham Young instituted polygamy to help with the move West, American Indians and all Mexicans and South Americans were direct descendants of Father Lehi, Abraham wrote his book by his own hand upon papyri, the prophet of God walks and talks with God in the temple, We're Mormons, NOT Christians, Black people were fence sitters in the pre-existence, God was once a man like us and we can become Gods just like him and rule over our own worlds, and on and on and on and on.

So I am not sure that learning the truth made me as angry as constantly hearing (even more so now than when I learned the truth) that they never taught all the things we were taught as children, that all the information that is out there today was always out there for anyone who was interested, and all the bullshit like that. Nothing could be a bigger lie. And I'm pretty sure all the other oldsters would agree with that.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: contrarymary ( )
Date: April 27, 2016 11:46AM

At 56, I followed a prompting to study the words and life of Joseph Smith. Startled and uncomfortable, I switched to looking at the origins of doctrines like: the prophet will never lead you astray, WoW, tithing, polygamy, second anointing, things that hadn't set well with me over the years. At 57, stopped going to church but still believed in the BoM and JS (the Waterman/Snuffer movement appealed for a time), at 58 I finally turned my scrutiny onto JS and the BoM, and it ALL crashed down. DH and I resigned last October. Now 59 and admit to being very angry still, sometimes sad, at the years and money swallowed up by the bloated Corpse. And relieved and happy to finally be awake too.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: April 27, 2016 12:36PM

Yes! to all EXCEPT we were taught that "we are MORMONS, not PROTESTANTS", because we weren't an offshoot of the Catholic church.

But I really enjoyed church membership as a youth of the 60's/70's. Once I started developing opinions about things and learning more about the church, however, there came to be irreconcilable differences.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: April 27, 2016 12:59PM

This has been interesting on the demographics. I think those of us who were in the church back in the 70's and 80's knew an organization that is quite different from today. The doctrines and teachings have radically changed, for example Blacks being denied the priesthood. When I was a missionary in Finland in 1974 president Kimball gave a talk to us missionaries on how we would become gods and create our own worlds. He was straightforward about the concept. He was not ambiguous in any way about us becoming gods. I wished I still had a transcript of his talk. Thirty plus years later, it is in complete contrast to Gordon Hinckley's denial of Mormons becoming gods. The temple endowment ceremony removing the throat slitting motions in 1990 and later removing the naked touching are also significant as they too changed due to public pressure. We, more "mature" folks, can keep reminding newbies that Mormonism and its so called doctrines are fluid and subject to change. We can encourage them to not waste their precious lives in a cult that does nothing but rob them of their money and their time.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: April 27, 2016 01:50PM

Because Eric makes the rules--and I support them--but as a lifelong resident of Planet Utah growing up on the fringes of the LDS Church--although a "technical Nevermo"--I've witnessed the control the church exerts on the government here evolve into an obscene operation that often borders on sheer totalitarianism.

Salt Lake City, with its openly lesbian mayor, is an oasis of "Gentile thought," but with a population of less than 200,000 its influence is limited. I'm hopeful the new ownership of the Salt Lake Tribune--assuming the deal goes through--will bring some much needed checks-and-balances to the process, but I confess to a strong cynical streak, having seen how things are done.

And of course NormaRae, having lived in "Happy Valley," is even more attuned to these issues than I am.

Here's a story I've been sitting on involving an African-American cab fare I had a few weeks ago: She was in her late 30's, a single mother with a teenage daughter, and she'd landed a good job in a food service operation with the county government (I'll keep the details deliberately vague to protect her anonymity).

She described how--having earned a solid culinary education--she kept "encountering" Mormons in positions they were clearly not trained for, etc., in other places she'd worked at.

She said she asked how they "got their jobs," and invariably the answer was "LDS Employment Services."

'Nuff said, and if anyone has noted a bit of "excess road rage" in my posts the last few weeks, that's part of the reason. Twenty odd years ago, with good credentials, I spent a futile year trying to get into public school teaching, and it wasn't going to happen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2016 01:54PM by SL Cabbie.

Date: April 27, 2016 02:29PM

In Utah Valley, a lot of jobs will only be opened up at LDS Employment Services. Why? Because they can legally only work with LDS. So if everyone you interview is LDS and you pick even the most qualified, when there were way more qualified people looking for jobs through media, state employment, etc., you cannot be sued for discrimination. You are guaranteed to get an LDS employee. And many LDS employers would rather have someone not well qualified than a well qualified non-LDS employee.

Posted by: buriedego ( )
Date: April 27, 2016 02:04PM

Question for westerly62 from the OT. Without delving into personal detail... I spent my teens just south of Austin. Nearby?

Posted by: westerly62 ( )
Date: April 27, 2016 06:01PM

Nah it's not too personal and it's really no big deal. If anyone is on a witch hunt for pain-in-the-neck outspoken exmos round these parts, I'm already on that list.

I'll give you a hint... I'm from a town in between Austin and Houston that's known for its ice cream and bluebonnets.

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: April 27, 2016 11:56PM

westerly62 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nah it's not too personal and it's really no big
> deal. If anyone is on a witch hunt for
> pain-in-the-neck outspoken exmos round these
> parts, I'm already on that list.
>
> I'll give you a hint... I'm from a town in between
> Austin and Houston that's known for its ice cream
> and bluebonnets.

I love driving through Brenham. It means I am getting close to Houston or leaving Houston. Now if there was a Bucces.

Date: April 28, 2016 06:16AM

themaster Wrote:
> I love driving through Brenham. It means I am
> getting close to Houston or leaving Houston. Now
> if there was a Bucces.

Right on! How is that Waller and even Giddings has a Buccees and Brenham doesn't. Go figure!?

Date: April 28, 2016 06:55AM

Been there many a time... I was in the Kyle Texas ward.

Date: April 28, 2016 07:43AM

westerly62 Wrote:
> themaster Wrote:
> > I love driving through Brenham. It means I am
> > getting close to Houston or leaving Houston.
> Now
> > if there was a Bucces.
>
> Right on! How is that Waller and even Giddings has
> a Buccees and Brenham doesn't. Go figure!?

I always stop at both of them no matter which direction I am going. Have to fill up on their coffee and junk food. Today I will stop at the one in New Braunfels. Bucces is the best place to stop for a restroom break. There must be 30 toilets and 30 urinals at the bigger ones. Plus the employees are nice.

Date: April 28, 2016 08:36AM

Hell yeah it is! The closest one to me is in madisonville here in East Texas. I could spend all day in there..

Date: April 28, 2016 04:13PM

buriedego Wrote:
> Hell yeah it is! The closest one to me is in
> madisonville here in East Texas. I could spend all
> day in there..

Madisonville was my Branch as a kid. Long before there was Buccees, Madisonville had Stuckey’s with its famous pecan logs.

Posted by: MrRobot ( )
Date: April 27, 2016 02:42PM

All of the mods here are likely over 55...

old grumps

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: April 27, 2016 03:17PM

I think only Eric is that old.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: April 27, 2016 03:43PM

Posted by: FrodoLivesAgain ( )
Date: April 27, 2016 03:11PM

Posted by: Bruce A Holt ( )
Date: April 27, 2016 05:06PM

61. Professional "geek".

Was I mad when I left? No. Even being booted was fine.

Am I mad now? Yes. Unseeing/unhearing family is pissing me off!

But I'll get over it! I recover quickly...

Posted by: iris ( )
Date: April 27, 2016 05:26PM

Nearly 58 when I agreed with my DH (convert at 20 years of age) to stop attending.

Posted by: scaredhusband ( )
Date: April 27, 2016 05:26PM

I consider myself frequenting this board enough to call myself active. I do not fit into the age group. I am late 20's and I haven't decided if I am mad at the church. I find I am more frustrated at myself than at an organization.

So in short, No, Maybe.

Posted by: Jersey Girl ( )
Date: April 27, 2016 06:16PM

Nevermo in the senior age group, but everything Norma Rae says she was taught is what I learned Mormons believed when I first came in contact with them living in Salt Lake City in the early 70s. Everyone knew about becoming a God and getting your own planet; some JackMos we knew even owned a game they got at Deseret book called "Eternal Progression" where you went through the stages to become a god. God said to Joe," as you are, I once was, as I am, you someday will be."And of course everyone knew that Blacks were unworthy of the priesthood.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: April 27, 2016 06:46PM

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 27, 2016 10:38PM

I was in the Mormon boy scouts when they let us stay out on Sunday, and we had just a short priesthood meeting in the woods. The troop I was with camped every month, year round. So that was a break from church one out of every four weeks. Members were allowed to use the ward kitchen, and potluck dinners were frequent. The bishop in Valley forge, PA didn't ask me about masturbation.

I never liked Mormonism, but it sure has changed, and for the worse.

Date: April 28, 2016 12:00AM

donbagley Wrote:
> I was in the Mormon boy scouts when they let us
> stay out on Sunday, and we had just a short
> priesthood meeting in the woods. The troop I was
> with camped every month, year round. So that was a
> break from church one out of every four weeks.
> Members were allowed to use the ward kitchen, and
> potluck dinners were frequent. The bishop in
> Valley forge, PA didn't ask me about masturbation.
>
>
> I never liked Mormonism, but it sure has changed,
> and for the worse.

I used to date a nanny that was in the Valley Forge Ward. I bet the Bishop would have loved to know what we were doing. That was a long time ago.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 28, 2016 12:24AM

We lived in Pottstown and drove all the way to Valley Forge for church. Sundays were very long with travel and boring church meetings. I counted the days to the next camp out. Bonus: I was many miles away from my father while camping.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2016 12:24AM by donbagley.

Posted by: Slumbering Minstrel ( )
Date: April 28, 2016 12:01AM

33 years old here. Not angry at the stupid church, just a little annoyed at the fun things I missed out on from age 18 to 30.

Posted by: Jersey Girl ( )
Date: April 28, 2016 06:55AM

Susan I/S....YES. that is the game! So I did not imagine it. The whole 1970's Mormon plan of salvation laid out as a game, amazing. I think Cricket or someone needs to buy that game and publicize it for the "I don't know that we teach that" crowd. As I remember it was recommended for Family Home Evening.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: April 28, 2016 07:30AM

And another thing: it didn't matter if you were gay. It didn't matter if you were a feminist. It was hoped that you would be somewhat intellectual. Until the late 1980's homosexuality was never even mentioned in church settings. It never entered the conversation. I didn't know, growing up, that there even were gay people. Strong Mormon women like Eliza Snow and Carol Lynn Pearson were venerated. And there was a place for (gasp!) philosophers and academics in the church hierarchy.

Now the church that many of us really enjoyed has become little more than a platform for bigotry.So yes, many of us on this site are here because we feel betrayed by the institution that we thought would appreciate our input when we reached adulthood. It's not an age thing but rather a shared-experience sort of thing.

Posted by: Bombadilgirl ( )
Date: April 28, 2016 08:10AM

Haven't posted in quite a while, but still following this site daily. NormaRae nailed our time perfectly, but I want to add a few things. Annual Roadshows were a BIG thing. The entire ward worked together for that 1st place honor. Annual Music Festivals, stakes and regions competed for the best singing group. And a doctrine taught to the youth, "you are the chosen generation, you will be the leader ship to welcome Jesus back to the earth". Even my Pblessing says, "you are among the valiant of heaven, saved to come to the earth at a time to prepare for the coming of Christ". Being born white, Mormon, and in "Zion" (Utah) makes you one of the elite. Bittersweet memories.

Date: April 28, 2016 10:50AM

Thanks for reminding me of those things. Roadshow were fierce in our stake too. We won most of the time and were accused of having an unfair advantage because we had some really cool and professional musicians in our ward. Looking back, yeah, we did have an advantage. But it was so fun.

And yes, we were the first of the greatest (last dispensation) generations. We were the original Saturday's Warriors. And there was a lot of competitive things back then, even for girls. We had organized competitive volleyball, softball and basketball.

One of the bad things was that it was ingrained in us much more than now that we were to fight to the death if we were assaulted. My PB even reminded me to guard my virtue with my very life. I think the church has backed off on that since the Elizabeth Smart thing. The only people who say it now are some asshat penishood leaders who grew up in our generation and don't understand that just because it was taught to us as kids, doesn't mean the church still believes it, as with a billion other things.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2016 04:30PM by Susan I/S.

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: April 28, 2016 04:18PM

As a moderately active poster, I'm almost 32, which apparently places me a couple of years beneath the most populous age group here.I'm a bit surprised by this.

Posted by: dp ( )
Date: April 29, 2016 03:11AM

Mid-40's. BIC, been out about 8-9 years now? Not very mad at TSCC (but a little, I suppose).

Posted by: blakballoon ( )
Date: April 29, 2016 03:51AM

I'm in my late 40's. I was baptised at about 20. They had the road shows, GnG balls, basketball and volleyball comps in the cultural hall. We went camping with the youth and paid our own way. As young adults we were the chosen generation.

I went on a mission and when I got back it had all changed. It didn't matter by then yhen, the mission had done its job and I was hard core.

There was no internet. 'Anti' stuff was pamphlets printed by evangelical Christians mostly "BEWARE THE FAMILYHOME EVENING" was one I remember.

I learnt true church history on the internet.

Posted by: Mike T. ( )
Date: April 29, 2016 09:45AM

Ditto. Yes, racism and all, the Mormon church was a much better place back then, and--racism and all--local communities respected Mormons a whole lot more, too. Even BYU was a kinder, gentler place, particularly during the whole hippie and sexual revolution period. LDS missions were far better then, more of a voluntary thing than now.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.