Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sam ( )
Date: May 01, 2016 02:09PM

I appreciated many good suggestions about attending another church. Well, I went to the Presbyterian (USA) church today. I will continue to shop around. A couple of you asked why I want to go back to church. I think it is more for social reasons and, maybe, spiritual. I think I still believe in Jesus but I am not completely sure. I thought attending church would help me to see how I feel about Jesus. In the beginning when I started to have doubts about the church, I was turned off by the lack of emphasis on Christ and the total obsession with JS. Only time will tell but I think the shopping around idea to find myself and what I want and to see if I match up with anything (including Jesus/God) makes sense.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 01, 2016 02:29PM

If you want to find a social group to participate in, try some group that is into some sport, or volunteer, or something else. There are book clubs, go mountain biking, join a bike club...the list is endless.
Give yourself permission to try on different ideas, get to know different people and allow your World View to evolve.
There are no rules, no tests, nothing to be concerned about. Just life. Find what brings you joy and peace of mind. Oh and FUN! Lots of FUN!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 01, 2016 02:46PM

I'm glad to hear that you are shopping around for a possible new church home. That's the way to do it! You don't really need to justify to any of us why you wish to see if you are a good fit with one of the mainstream Christian churches. It is a highly personal decision and completely up to you. I will say that you will likely find them to be far more respectful of your time, money, and privacy than Mormonism ever was.

Date: May 01, 2016 04:06PM

Thanks Summer. That is exactly the way I feel.

I am very socially active and involved in many groups (non-church). I am still trying to decide whether I need spiritual bonding with groups. Maybe yes and maybe no. But, as it stands right now, I believe in a Christian God--can't explain it but it is in my heart.

So, just trying to find myself and figure out who I am.

Posted by: Agnes Broomhead ( )
Date: May 01, 2016 04:27PM

Have you considered a "nondenominational" church?
If so, how does the rock-oriented songs compare to boring, 16th-century LDS hymns?

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: May 01, 2016 04:29PM

If I was still religious, I'd probably go back to the Anglican Church (Church of England). It was one of the churches I attended as a child. I've been to a few services as an adult and I liked it there.

Posted by: bona dea unregistered ( )
Date: May 01, 2016 04:39PM

I would stick to mainstream churches and avoid fundamentaist ones. Beyond that, what do you like? Tradition, liturgical services,informal worship with folk music etc? Shop around until you find something that fits and do some research online. If you dont like a particular service, it was still a learning experience. Keep in mind that individual congregations of the same church can be quite different depending on the clergy and congregation. Things are not as correlated as in the Morg. Also, most churches dont necessarily expect you to buy everything and will not stalk you if you stop coming or pressure you to join. If they do, I would run.

Date: May 01, 2016 04:52PM

Thanks very much for your suggestion bona dea unregistered

Posted by: lolly18 ( )
Date: May 01, 2016 06:25PM

The way you describe it, I might try one of the AME churches.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.