Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 01, 2016 04:55PM

Adam Ondi Amen to that.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: May 01, 2016 05:11PM

Gee, anyone who's done a high school production of 'Fiddler on the Roof' knows that!

:-)

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: May 01, 2016 06:45PM

Chicken N. Backpacks Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gee, anyone who's done a high school production of
> 'Fiddler on the Roof' knows that!
>
> :-)

I was going to say the same thing.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: May 01, 2016 05:25PM

This is a really good site for non-Jews who are, or intend to be, converting to Judaism through Orthodox rabbis...

...and also for previously non-observant Jews (definition for this: any Jew who is not Orthodox) who are making the transition to Orthodox observance.

Fun to read...and once again (this happens fairly frequently in my life, for one reason or another) I thank Hashem ["God"] that I, personally, am NOT---and will never be!!!---Orthodox.

However: if anyone wants to learn about daily, on-the-ground Orthodox Jewish observance in an easily accessible way, "this [site] is the place."

;) ;) ;)

[And yes, the pronunciation of "Amen" varies according to the Jewish sectors and identities of the Jews who are pronouncing it...and, mostly, it IS different than most non-Jews say it.]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2016 05:25PM by Tevai.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 03, 2016 11:18PM

Where I go it's said the same as anywhere, USA as in the same pronunciation "ah-men."

Where used to attend a Messianic synagogue the Messie rabbi would say like this version of Orthodox "Ah-mein, and ah-mein."

He fancied himself a true blue Jew but a Messianic convert, with a very Christian Waspy wife.

Now I'll pay more attention when fellowshipping among the multi-sects of Judaism next time I attend a community center function.

Among the limited Orthodox experience I haven't noticed this expression of 'ah-mein' before where I live. So am wondering whether it is cultural and based on regional/geographic locale?

One thing I've learned is Jews do *not* kneel in prayer. That is considered a pagan practice.

Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: May 04, 2016 11:52AM

I was told in choir to sing "ah-mein" because it is easier to sustain a pleasing note than "ah-men". Never us "a-men" when singing is sounds needlessly harsh.

That was in Lutheran choir so who knows.

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: May 04, 2016 02:41PM

Here in Canada folks say "ah-men". In my travels through the US I have heard "ay-men".

Whenever it is sung, it is always "ah-men".

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.