Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anon... ( )
Date: May 01, 2016 06:12PM

I had the displeasure of attending F&T meeting with my TBM wife this morning. It was the usual sparse parade of children and ward criers, but one testimony stood out. A lady told a story of two boys in Nauvoo that came to Joe to warn him that a mob was plotting to kill him. The boys, according to this woman, told Joe that the mob asked them to swear an oath to help kill him and they didn't know what to do. Joe told them to not make any such oath. The boys went back to the mob and refused to help and the mob killed them. The woman sharing the story closed by saying Joe wasn't the only one to seal his testimony with blood.

Has anyone ever heard this story?...or anything like it? She didn't give names for these boys. The story seems extremely unbelievable considering the known timeline surrounding Joe's death, the lack of names, the mob's motivation, etc... If the story was based on facts, I think it would be a well known story in all the church history lesson manuals as well. I was just wondering if anyone has any clue where she heard this story. If she just made it up, why would anyone do that? If there's any truth to it, why wouldn't the "prophet" warn the boys that they would be killed if they went back?...he instead sent the boys to their deaths to protect himself?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 01, 2016 06:36PM

forget it.

there's NO QC in Morland, especially things the unwashed masses say in F&T.

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: May 01, 2016 06:43PM

1. It sounds totally made up.

2. I agree that if there were any proof the story were true, it would be one that we were all familiar with.

3. Mostly importantly, it didn't give me a warm-and-fuzzy feeling.

Case closed.

Posted by: brettys ( )
Date: May 01, 2016 06:51PM

Thanks. That was interesting.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 01, 2016 07:19PM

Tall tales told by people with low blood sugar:

"I saw the prophet when I visited Utah, and he had God in his eyes."

"She rear ended a parked car at sixty miles an hour, because the Lord was calling her home."

"After my wife died, a voice in my station wagon told me to seek a new mate in the third ward."

"The devil told me to cheat on my wife, and I listened."

I don't know how many crazy ones I've forgotten, but I remember those.

Posted by: AVT-16 ( )
Date: May 01, 2016 07:22PM

"It's been my experience" That many things that are said during F&T can not be taken as real.

Some people go up with Thankyoumonies others go up with an agenda to boost them selves And some go up with a sweat simple Testimony.

These go up and humbly state that they believe in all the church has to offer. The ones that are short and sweet and very sincere will always have my heart.

but remember F&T Is a crap shoot it is open to all that want to go up and bear themselves.

I have witnessed:

The unaudible cryers
the elderly that just want to express their gratitude to a home teacher
The mother that brings up her toddler to help them
The Pillars of the ward echoing each other
The mentally ill go on and on about things that may or may not have happened

And the people that are totally inactive and want to come back, going up to kind of explain themselves.

Not saying F&T is crap you just have to take it for what it is If it speaks to you there ya go.

For me I would always be disappointed if this one guy did not go up.

He is a little off but one heck of a good guy. he has his problems and he's a genuine. I would never laugh at him but I get a chuckle to hear him speak. So much so I have told people if I drop dead NOBODY from the Church is to be involved in my funeral. With the exception of this guy. I want to hear him testify one last time.

His testimony always goes something like this

Good morning to the ward. I bring you tidings of glad joy.I just wanted to come up and tell you that I have had a really crappy week.

First my car stopped working right before the I-10 onramp. And gosh that made me mad. I really wanted a cigarette but I told Heavenly Father before I got baptized that I would not smoke anymore. So I didn't I sat there and wondered how I was going to get home. I had stuff in the car from the store cause Marge my wife wanted to make dinner. I took the bus home with all the groceries. Marge made a nice dinner. She cooks good.

My home teachers took me back to my car later that night and the wheels were stolen off. Good thing the gas station guy across the street was selling a set.

Brother Hoarace was able to talk this guy down in price. He wanted $50.00 per wheel. Br.H told him he would pay $1.00 each and he would be sure to tell his friend at the Pensacola PD all about his service. The man even put the tires on for me.

So ya see things always work out for us. I tell you I love god god loves you too! I love you all too

I bless you I bless the Bishop ..........Oh the Bishop just told me people are waiting.

So good bye to everyone thank you for having me. In Jesus name amen......Oh I forgot to say the Book of Mormon is true the church is True!!!!!......

He goes off the Stand Waving!

So there you have it...Some things in church I will always miss.

Posted by: cognitivedissonance ( )
Date: May 01, 2016 07:36PM

It's gotta be one of those Paul Dunn stories. Lying for the Lard.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: May 01, 2016 07:51PM

A nice, faith-promoting rumor. Sounds like she was a Danite looking to score. Joseph's Boner.

Posted by: Razortooth ( )
Date: May 01, 2016 08:05PM

When i heard this story many years ago in Sunday school it ended with the boys NOT being killed. After pondering, the mob let them go.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.