Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: wartac ( )
Date: May 01, 2016 06:23PM

First off I am wondering if anyone knows of any good attorneys who will defend me and be able to understand my situation.

I have been divorced officially for about 8 months and we had been speared for a year Pryor to that as she dragged out the divorce trying to milk me of every penny she could. My now ex wife has just found out that I do not support the doctrine of the church and is refusing to even try to understand why. She was a very none participating Mormon before the divorce and only participated enough to show her mom and dad she was active. She now lives with her mom and dad. She has to do everything she wasent before which is a huge stretch for her. Our son is 7 going to turn 8 in July. Now that she knows i will not let him be baptized she is threatening to take me to court, letting me know that money is no worry for them. She threatens to take me to court any time she doesent get her way or we disagree on the various issues we have to deal with when it comes to our boys.We have joint legal custody and a 6/8 split which many of you know is one day short of 50/50 custody. I pay her $570 in child support and another $630 a month in alimony. She gets $1200 a month which is almost half of what I make. Not to mention I pay up to $100 a month for baseball,soccer, piano or any other activities they are involved in. So that ups it to a possible $1300 a month. I love my boys and would pay for their activities regardless of a court document. This definately has stressed me financially tag on the emotional threats of her taking me to court and I feel like I have no life other than to make hers work. I just need a great attorney that I can feel like has my back if I do get the summons. I would greatly appreciate any thoughts and advice aside from knowing of any great attorneys that will help me protect my rights. Thank you!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2016 06:29PM by wartac.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 01, 2016 06:45PM

I would write a letter to the bishop in the ward where your wife attends. Advise him that you have joint legal custody of your son and that you forbid him being baptized as a minor. If you can cite the relevant section of the handbook in regard to the rules, I would do so. Even better would be if you can get an attorney to put that on his letterhead. I don't think that court is a big threat. The bishop will either follow the rules or he won't.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 01, 2016 06:52PM

Something you said in the OP perked my ears right up. These parents, it appears, will go to any lengths to make sure their daughter's children are Mormons, possibly even lie. You can use your legal paperwork, and an attorney to warn the bishop that you do not approve of baptism and hope it works. However, I think you need to stay vigilant as I've heard stories of the grand parents having the child baptized anyhow and telling them to lie. Your ex-wife will use her parents to intrude, and likely cause problems for you. Some even turn the children against their own parent.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.