Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: May 01, 2016 10:03PM

I had been feeling really terrible. Low energy, not sleeping well, then I started having vertigo spells and hair loss. I went to the doctor to check for things like hypo-thyroid or anemia. I tested critically low for vitamin D.

Those of us who live in higher latitudes, stay indoors, or faithfully use sunscreen are among the millions at risk for vitamin D deficiency. Without enough sun exposure, it can be difficult to obtain from diet alone.

A lot of people here are suffering from Mormonism, but if you are feeling depressed, it might be worth checking your vitamin D and other nutrient levels. I've been treating for a few weeks now, and I'm beginning to feel like a new woman.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: May 01, 2016 10:08PM

I've heard that from other people as well. It's a good thing
you found out what you need. So many people are so critically
low on vitamen D and its so important to take. Getting all the
vitamens you need can make such a difference.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 01, 2016 10:10PM

I've found that some of our family, including my husband before he died, (he was nearly 80), stopped making vit D. So, he took large amounts of it once a week. The doctor didn't know why this happened, but he did have several health issues. He also stopped making iron.

I went through a stressful time with broken bones in my foot when my husband was in the dying process when I lost some of my hair (don't have much to start with.) It was recommended I take Biotin.

I take both now, and not only do I have more hair which is very healthy, but my nails are strong and grow very fast. So far, my test are very good.

I "suffered" through some hectic times mostly with people interfering in my life, both at work and in the LDS church. I retired and left the LDS Church and life is wonderful. I don't suffer fools anyhow!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2016 10:11PM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 01, 2016 10:15PM

My doctor prescribed it for me too, and it has made a difference in how I feel during the winter months. I take it year round now along with calcium to help reduce the effects of aging and bone loss.

Finding balance is so important in how our bodies operate.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 01, 2016 10:32PM

Thanks for the reminder. My physician advised me to take additional Vitamin D supplements, but I've been slacking off.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 01, 2016 10:44PM

I'm going to share this with all my downstream Shaklee, Amway, Melaluca, Herbalife, Natures Sunshine, and Life Force International distributors. Boy, are we going to clean up!

On a serious note, if your doctor prescribes it, then it's tax deductible if you itemize. And don't forget to record the mileage on that shopping trip, even if you mainly went out for kitchen groceries.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 01, 2016 10:44PM

Posted by: anonhellyes ( )
Date: May 02, 2016 08:48PM

caffiend Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm going to share this with all my downstream
> Shaklee, Amway, Melaluca, Herbalife, Natures
> Sunshine, and Life Force International
> distributors. Boy, are we going to clean up!
>
> On a serious note, if your doctor prescribes it,
> then it's tax deductible if you itemize. And don't
> forget to record the mileage on that shopping
> trip, even if you mainly went out for kitchen
> groceries.
--------------------------------------------------------------
I wouldn't trust any of the MLM products out there.
While they cost a bit more, the Pure Encapsulations brand
is highly thought of in the training community.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 01, 2016 10:46PM

and took it for a while. I never noticed a difference.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 02, 2016 12:29AM

All the vitamins are important, A - F !!!

Posted by: schmendrick ( )
Date: May 02, 2016 08:14PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> All the vitamins are important, A - F !!!

Thanks for the reminder, my powder is running low.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: May 02, 2016 12:41AM

Good post. I have to take 5000 units of vitamin D per day. Being partly Danish, I have avoided the sun like the bubonic plague my entire life. About two years ago, I was told I was dangerously low on vitamin D so I have to take it every day. So, I guess I didn't get enough sun. Skin cancer scares me. I'd rather be low on vitamin D than have skin cancer. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.....

The sad news is that I also have Solar Purpura, which is a skin condition caused from too much sun/ultra violet radiation on the skin. It affects my forearms only, [which are the only part of me that have ever had much sun and that was not too much and it was not on purpose.] I am a fanatic about putting on sun screen my entire life! The doc said that if I had not been at a high altitude my entire life I probably would have avoided this.

Talk about between a rock and a hard place! SUCKS!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2016 12:45AM by verilyverily.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: May 02, 2016 01:23AM

Thanks for the reminder. I have a couple of family members who need to stay on top of this. One ran out of a fish oil supplement that also has Vit D in it, and started getting sick. As soon as we started it up again, she improved. I'm not sure if it was the fish oil or the D3. But D3 is a lot cheaper, so I should figure that out.

Posted by: Charee ( )
Date: May 02, 2016 02:09AM

I was prescribed vitamin D 3 weeks ago. I must be the only person living on Maui who needs it-lol. I'm a school teacher and summer is just a few weeks away ;)

Posted by: koolman2 ( )
Date: May 02, 2016 02:26AM

While my wife was pregnant, she was tested and found in the mid-20s (ng/mL) for Vitamin D. After taking 10,000 IU/day for a few months, she was up in the 50s. At the same time, I started taking 10,000 per day. A couple months ago (about 6 months at 10,000) I switched us to 5,000/day since we're both likely to be at normal levels.

We live in Alaska and both don't get a lot of sunlight. I felt more normal this winter than any in a long time.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: May 02, 2016 01:54PM

I also tested low for Vit. D and take supplements regularly. Of course, all y'all know me, I had to argue with my doctor about it.

"But this is Florida! I go outside in the sun every single day -- sometimes twice a day -- to walk the dog for two miles. I don't wear sunscreen or a hat for those dog walks. How could I possibly be low on D?"

Seriously. I spend a minimum of an hour a day outside in the scorching hot Florida sunshine. Every. Day.

Doc informed me that we'd pretty much have to be outside every day from 10-2 with zero sunscreen and no hats to get enough D from sunshine. Most of us are low on D. The only people who really aren't work outside all day.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 02, 2016 08:23PM

I golf three or four times a week here in SoCal and I tested out low for vitamin D, which was a shocker, because I'm in shorts and a short sleeved polo shirt seven days a week.

But my vitamin F tested out okay, for my age...

Posted by: MrRobot ( )
Date: May 02, 2016 02:12PM

Try cod liver oil

check out carlson brand

legit

Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: May 02, 2016 02:27PM

I was at 10 when it was prescribed for me. I am now in the 30's. Just got told last week she would like to see it in the 40's so am bumping up 3000 from 2000 to see if that does it.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: May 02, 2016 02:29PM

What about all those people who identify as vampires?! lol

Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: May 02, 2016 02:32PM

They need the mega dose from the doctor. No sunlight, they disintegrate you know.

Posted by: Ladybug not logged in ( )
Date: May 02, 2016 02:46PM

I too am on 5000U per day. I was a runner, drove a convertible, gardened, and spent hours at the soccer fields and was still low. Others, in my family I found out was low as well.
I was tested because I have a BRCA mutation which puts me at a higher rate of cancer. The first thing my doc did was test my level and get me started.

A year later, my mom was dx with cancer and her doctor tested her level too which was low and started her on supplements. She is never outside so it was understandable why hers was low. No reason for mine to be.

My doc said its hard to know if body doesn't convert Vit D from the sun as it should or if body, for some reason using more. I was pretty tanned and she said I "looked" like someone that would have a difficult time getting D from the sun. I too never used sunscreen.

Some doctors are really pro testing and supplementing, others not convinced it matters. As far as I see, there don't seen to be side effects with moderate dose so I continue.

Posted by: just not logged in ( )
Date: May 02, 2016 02:58PM

Posted by: montanadude ( )
Date: May 02, 2016 03:41PM

Vitamin D is big in Montana during the winter. One of the first things I tell new transplants is to consider take it throughout the winter. The days are really short and cold so everyone stays inside. I feel like it helps during the dreary days....and if that doesn't work I fortify it with Jack Daniels.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: May 02, 2016 03:45PM

I always am wary when doctors suddenly diagnose everyone with the same problem. How did vitamin D deficiency suddenly become an acute and chronic condition? Why are they proscribing doses thought to be toxic decades ago?

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: May 02, 2016 08:34PM

That's always a legitimate question, but I don't think there's anything trendy about vitamin D. There wasn't nearly as much research available decades ago, so I think it makes sense that we're all looking at it differently now. It's certainly not the answer for everything, but in my case, my levels were so low (7!) that it was making me quite ill. It's a simple thing to address, and really does matter for some more than others.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: May 02, 2016 08:53PM

I agree. My step father was diagnosed and put on high doses until he became quite poisoned. He never questions what the guy in the white coat says. I'm not at all jaded about modern medicine, but I think you have to be careful.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: May 02, 2016 09:10PM

I think thats right Pista.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.