Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 01, 2016 10:55PM

The most unusual, odd, strange, weird thing about Mormonism, (in many people's minds) is the temple garment -- aka 24/7 underwear. There are other weird, strange things, but this one is #1 in my book.

I've often wondered just how long the LDS Church will require the temple endowed members wear the official white garment aka 24/7 underwear, purchased only from them. (For a long time, they allowed the members to make their own.) It used to be all one piece, but in the late 70's they did change it to two piece for males and females, but never did consider that women wear a variety of sizes, (Petite, Junior, Misses, Plus, etc.) and only make a couple of sizes that the women have to make work. Never mind that they don't follow the lines of most underwear for women; the seams are in the wrong place, the cap sleeves are not true caps, the bust is too big or too small, and on and on it goes.

Not only is it totally unnecessary; not some kind of special protection, and only used to remind the members of their covenants by the marks in them, (like adults are incapable of remembering their covenants), are generally very uncomfortable, too hot in hot and humid climates, sleeping in them is totally unnecessary also.

When will the LDS Church recognize that, in the Bible, the New Testament makes it clear that Christ came to fulfill the law as practiced in the Old Testament. Which, in my view, means the LDS Church stop acting like the Jews of the Old Testament and let go requiring the temple garments be worn day and night.

As an adult member, I was not happy with the notion that I was too stupid to remember covenants I made and had have my naked body clothed in official underwear with Masonic markings on them. Never did make sense. Never did like them. I could tolerate them in the day time, if I could get them made with no lace, which I finally had done in the Specials Dept as. the lace irritated my skin. The only fabric I could tolerate was the Bemberg Rayon which they stopped using. I never could wear them at night, took them off in my sleep and found them someplace in the room in the morning so I finally just stopped trying to wear them at night! This is a hoot -- I actually confessed I did that to the two men interviewing me for a temple recommend every year and not a one of them said a thing! :-) It was a clue, a big Red Flag, but I was so busy going along to get along I didn't recognize it at the time. I laugh now, looking back.

When I was a new member, my husband (off a mission) had some old garments that needed to be replaced. I was given the official instructions on what to do with them, so I did as I was told. We lived on the 3rd floor of Wymount Terrace Married Student Housing at BYU. (2A 53, to be exact!)...
So....I cut out the markings with my scissors, put them in a little soup can and struck a match and set them on fire on our kitchen table that we had painted black. All went well, until they flamed up and I had to douse them with water, leaving a little ring on the table. I never did tell my husband why there was a little ring on the table! That is my story of how I almost set our housing unit on fire! :-)

Some years later, after I'd had enough and was no longer able to swallow the beliefs, (and before I resigned officially), and I realized that they had no right to my naked body, I finally took the bag of garments I had stored in the bottom of my closet and tossed them over my shoulder and hauled them out to the trash cans in the front yard right before the trash collectors came by. I watched through a front window as they were thrown in and they turned on the lever that smashed all the trash up to make room for more. Gone. Forever. Trashed. Ahh.. that was liberating!!

What did you do with your garments if you got roped into wearing them? I love these stories.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2016 10:56PM by SusieQ#1.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 01, 2016 11:01PM

passion killers, ya know.

young un's 'have to' think twice before having nookie, especially the singles.

Date: May 01, 2016 11:05PM

That reminded of something I heard many years ago. Women conceived with the garment on and gave birth with it on -- ! That gave a whole new meaning to being BIC -- born in the covenant! :-)

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: May 01, 2016 11:18PM

The 100% cotton ones we cut up and used as cleaning rags. The rest I tossed.

Posted by: Zidane ( )
Date: May 01, 2016 11:18PM

Never!!
It is the ultimate No 1 Mormon control mechanism.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: May 01, 2016 11:20PM

The handbook allows military members to not wear garments.

In ancient days we marked our t shirts and uniform pants. Seems though that most military people never heard about this option.

Garments can be leash and I don't see them removing it voluntarily.

Posted by: Fasteddie ( )
Date: May 01, 2016 11:45PM

I did the same thing...was holding on to a box of the old g's for many years for who knows why. I finally came to realize that they were no different than any other piece of worn out clothing and just tossed them in the trash. Then did the same thing with the temple clothes the following week. No lightning bolts bounced off my head, no dis-embowelment has occurred, no ill effects. Pretty amazing feeling to be free of all of that crap!

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: May 02, 2016 12:08AM

Even though a decision regarding how modestly a person dresses should be up to him or her if said person is an adult, and up to his and her parents if the person is a minor, I suppose I can understand (though I don't have to like it) an extreme church dictating standards for its members while they are in attendance at church functions. Dictating what underwear should be worn, however, should be considered beyond reasonable in any society even approaching normal. Maybe the Morg, if they must insist upon some role of garmies in their ceremonies, should issue or require purchase of a token pair of the ugly skivvies when someone goes through the temple. After that, if a person dresses suitable modestly at church, no one should be concerned about what is on underneath. (They shouldn't be concerned anyway, but that's a whole other dissertation.) And what anyone wears when their not at church functions is so very much none of the church's business that it's ridiculous.

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: May 02, 2016 02:50AM

The church won't do away with wearing the garments 24/7, but the members will. It's already happening.

Posted by: BI ( )
Date: May 03, 2016 11:18AM

Yup! Unless they are cutting off the legs to make them shorter, my TBM sisters are definitely not wearing them.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: May 02, 2016 04:21AM

I think members are slowly getting away from wearing garments 24/7, but lie to the bishop when asked about their underwear, just as most males lie about not masturbating. I'm sure there are plenty who wear them at church and around other TBM's just so they don't have to put up with the feel-up that goes on.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: May 02, 2016 07:57AM

Mine are piled on the floor in the bottom of my closet. One of our cats loves 'em--he crawls in when the door's open, curls up and takes a nap.

Obviously he's a good Mormon. However I suspect he's not too keen on the whole baptism thingee.

Date: May 02, 2016 09:41AM

Are TBM women 'still' wanting to give birth wearing them?

I've never known first-hand of this.

that's scary, U'd think no doc. would tolerate that, but it would prob. be a last-minute surprise to tell doc...

STOP THE INSANITY!

Posted by: blakballoon ( )
Date: May 02, 2016 09:45AM

Wait...what??

No

How is that even possible?

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: May 02, 2016 10:59AM

The old ons piece garments open at the crotch.

Yes I knew many women that gave birth wearing them.

Posted by: blakballoon ( )
Date: May 02, 2016 07:30PM

Ohhh right. Thanks for clarifying. I had pictures in my mind of.. never mind.

Posted by: Forgetting Abigail ( )
Date: May 02, 2016 10:26AM

I stopped wearing garments before I left my husband, but took them with me in a wal-mart bag, which was in the bottom of my closet. After a few years I found out about the Kinderhook plates and book of Abraham fables and it didn't take long to take them out to the dumpster and they went off to the county landfill. Happy to say I still have my bowels intact. My throat is a little saggy these days, but other than that all is well. ;o)

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: May 02, 2016 11:24AM

An old timer told me that after the Book of Abraham papyri proved to him that the church was false, he took off his garments and "stomped the hell out of them"!

Posted by: tnurg ( )
Date: May 02, 2016 01:09PM

Thanks to a great deal of research/truth seeking, I already did that without any help from the Kingdom of Absurdity and Lies (you know, the morons)! I'm a believer in underwear being a personal choice rather than a CULT mandated restriction! CULT operatives are no longer allowed to make underwear decisions for me or influence my bedroom decorum! You know something else, it feels great being normal, free from the the bondage of utterly worthless, holy underwear that is physically inhibiting, emotionally degrading/unable to perform in crunch time! In a horrific accident, my youngest son broke almost every bone on the right side of his body wearing holy, moron underwear! Significantly/of critical importance to me/every other male on the planet is the design temperature of our appendages that are now right where they need to be without the burden of tight fitting, unhealthy, control freak undies! How refreshing/ exhilarating - an additional bonus, no less!

In the end, being honest - a real person, if you will - is all I ever wanted to be! You see, I can be me - none of us need any help from the well documented, 15 charlatan creeps of the so-called church - how enabling/wonderful for those of us who actually do embrace critical thinking! As Always, tnurg (GRUNT)

Posted by: iplayedjoe ( )
Date: May 02, 2016 01:49PM

They should sell the Masonic and Eastern Star rings and make it an either or option. Can you imagine the income stream from the Wasatch when all of those people start competing for most ridiculous jewels? They're the same ripped off symbols after-all. Someone should have a revelation.

I should have been an apostle but alas,

IonlyPlayedJoe

Posted by: abcdomg ( )
Date: May 02, 2016 05:18PM

It's a huge source of income and they have a total monopoly on the market. Why would they give up all that $$$$?

Date: May 02, 2016 05:22PM

A while back they Fired all 'non-members' who worked making garments; that was religious discrimination;

religious discrimination is a basic, core Wrong in our society.

The case went to court, but TSCC prevailed.

Date: May 02, 2016 05:29PM

Yes. The clothing -- garment business is a "closed facility" -- Beehive Clothing Mills I think is still the name.
You cannot even get in to see it without approval from a supervisor. Getting a tour is rare.
Only LDS temple holders are now employed there, as I recall.
Somehow they can set these kinds of requirements as they are a non-profit 501c3 business. Or so I'm told.

Date: May 02, 2016 07:21PM

they now claim Religious Privilege.

In law, privileges are exceptions to laws that would otherwise apply.

Posted by: downsouth ( )
Date: May 02, 2016 10:04PM

We once vacationed with a couple in Jamaica. While there, she was very excited to not be wearing garments all week. She let us know about it all week. And expressed her disappointment at our time to return home. At the time, I was easing away but my wife was still very TBM. She had much to say about our friend when we returned home while she found joy in putting her own garments back on. We also found out her favorite pair of bottoms were a pair she way over dried and they shrank about 3 inches. Her short were way shorter than any of the other ladies.

While they were away on another vacation, they had us take care of some things around their house. While my wife took care of her assignments, I sat on the couch and watched TV. Curiosity had me click on past purchases. woah!

And they are still a prominent couple within the church whom are put on a pedestal for everyone to aspire to be.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: May 03, 2016 01:59AM

being in a secret club or something. One year we vacationed in SLC, and I had a great time, peeking around to see who did and who did not have garmie lines! I felt very smug because I was part of the "in" group and had them. Great feeling of belonging.

But the time gradually came when I no longer believed. I quit wearing the garmies, went on a great spending spree at Victoria's Secret, and the garmies went into a paper grocery sack that lived in my closet for quite some time.

Finally, I got up the nerve to chuck them into the garbage. I was amazed at how relieved I felt, to be completely rid of them.

Even after more than a decade of wearing "normal" underwear, I still enjoy digging around in my underwear drawer, deciding just which color I choose to wear TODAY! Granted, it isn't a HUGE thrill, but at my age, every thrill counts!

Posted by: BI ( )
Date: May 03, 2016 11:32AM

I grew up in a TBM household and frequently saw my parents in their horribly ugly, ill-fitting, too large in the bust and sagging in the crotch secret underwear.

I knew from a young age on, that I would not be caught dead in that stuff. I swore I would never go on a mission and had already decided to marry as late as possible to put off wearing something that ugly.

I am no fashion freak. Jeans and cosy shirts and sweatshirts are my go-to's.

But garments were out of the question.

Needless to say, I was very relieved to find out the truth. I never went to the temple!

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: May 03, 2016 12:03PM

They will give up on them when we all start wearing the top in public like it's a regular white T-shirt with jeans or something.

Oh, the fun!!!

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 03, 2016 12:34PM

I would be surprised if that ever happened. It's so central to their being apart from all others and general weirdness.....

RB

Posted by: TheBishop'sDaughter ( )
Date: May 03, 2016 11:54PM

I HATED wearing them from the very moment I put those suckers on. When my hubby and I were first married I would wear them half of the time around the house because it was freaking hot! I am a hot blooded person to begin with...we lived on the 4th floor in our apartment complex so it was too much to handle wearing multiple layers...including my bra OVER the top. Ah! Thinking about that makes me want to punch someone haha! I always got irritated that I was finally married and could have "fun" with my dream man...but wait, you have to wear these ugly body suites that make you feel WAY less attractive from the beginning of your marriage on. One time my mom was visiting and she saw my dirty garment top on the floor and gasped, ran over and put it on a chair because "no no no, we do not let them touch the ground!" Haha I was so weirded out by her superstitious behavior. I also stopped wearing them at night from a very early time of having them, they would put my arms to sleep. So I would get pissed off and throw them in the ground haha. My hubby probably thought I was nuts. So last year when we found out they are a crappy way to be controlled by TSCC we both took them off, filled a large garbage bag with them and threw them away. We went and bought real underwear and both are so much happier, more comfortable and free now! Ah, feels AMAZING.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.