Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: May 03, 2016 10:10PM

Growing up in the 60's kids drank most of their drinks out of Tupperware glasses. At least I did. Tupperware glasses gave our drinks a taste that was only found in Tupperware glasses. Each Ward seemed to have a Woman in the Ward selling Tupperware. Perhaps it was a church calling.

Do you still remember the Taste of Tupperware?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: May 03, 2016 10:16PM

I do know of which you speak.

My mom didn't "do" Tupperware, so we didn't have them, but had family that did. I also have DISTINCT memories of the texture of those Tupperware cereal bowls.

To this day, I don't eat with plastic unless an emergency, which shouldn't ever arise, since I travel with my own flatware (not for crazy OCD germaphobe, but rather a crazy "I can't stand the feel of plastic flatware").

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: May 03, 2016 10:43PM

My mom didn't "do" Tupperware either... thank Ghawd.

I have had a drink from them and once was enough. yuck.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: May 03, 2016 11:13PM

I personally think Tupperware was pure genius. I have nothing but admiration for their business model. They delivered a good product (very durable and well-designed) and marketed it in a manner that satisfied the social needs of mainly suburban housewives, who were the prime selectors of household goods in the fifties and sixties. Rubbermaid and other companies were many years behind the curve in bringing analogous products to the market.

I still use plenty of Tupperware products. I have owned them for decades.

BTW, Tupperware is still going strong, mainly on the internet.

And it wasn't just Mormons who bought Tupperware.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: May 04, 2016 03:00AM

This prevented mix-ups at the table.

We did the same thing with toothbrushes.

We still use our Tupperware cups and glasses for everyday "grab a drink of water" moments. At least, they don't break if they slip out of arthritic old hands!

Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: May 04, 2016 12:05AM

I hated those too. We never had Tupperware.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 04, 2016 12:22AM

I liked to make them burp...

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 04, 2016 12:24AM

polyethylene glasses are fine with me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2016 12:52AM by Dave the Atheist.

Posted by: Therealme ( )
Date: May 04, 2016 12:37AM

My dad refused to drink from Tupperware glasses. He said they made everything taste like dish soap lol

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: May 04, 2016 12:55AM

I thankfully didn't have tupperware at my house, but plenty of my primary pals weren't so lucky. The taste of warm, chlorinated tap water mixed with Tang in those cups will never be forgotten. Yuck!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2016 12:57AM by messygoop.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: May 04, 2016 12:57AM

The taste of tupperware is a childhood memory like the smell of mimeographed paper, except we loved that mimeograph paper!

Posted by: TheBishop'sDaughter ( )
Date: May 04, 2016 12:59AM

Oh my gosh yes I remember that taste! Childhood memories just came rushing back ;-)

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: May 04, 2016 01:38AM

Yep, kool-aid, 1 cup of sugar, and water mixed in a big TW pitcher. At Morg meetings, the kool-aid had to be red.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: May 04, 2016 01:50AM

Yes, and they always sold those burping tupperware containers. When it burps, it is sealed.
That is how temple marriages should be done. When they burped, they are sealed.
Every ward also had a few Avon ladies.

"At Morg meetings, the kool-aid had to be red." - goes with the green jello!

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: May 04, 2016 02:48AM

Over-baked Cure 81 ham, funeral potatoes, over-cooked canned green beans, rolls, red punch, and green jello salad for dessert.
This is typical for Ward Christmas parties, funerals, and any banquet held in the "cultural" hall. Sweaty scent of adolescent basketball players--priceless.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: May 04, 2016 02:01AM

I wasn't raised Mormon, but we did have some Tupperware stuff, mostly containers. I even have a round Tupperware container that I keep my coffee filters in. For the most part, we tended to use glass and paper cups. Some of those glasses were the collectable kinds you used to get from McDonald's and other fast food places, with the original Star Wars characters, or ET.

Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: May 04, 2016 09:49AM

All the glassware in my first apartment came from Arbys. They did Loony Tunes.

The plastic (which I still have 40 years later) came from buying large pop at my college athletic events. They hold about 20 oz plus ice.

The only Tupperware I still own is a canister set I bought in 1978. It is still going strong.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 04, 2016 02:44AM

Tupperware for Kool Aid, Tupperware for Jello
The flavors were the same whether red, blue, or yellow

Then the Ritalin

Posted by: Myron Donnerbalken ( )
Date: May 04, 2016 06:01AM

I do. It DOES have a taste. At home we had a ton of Tupperware, and the parents used it for the little kids because it didn't break. But you know what was worse? Did you ever have those metal drinking tumblers that were in shiny colors? Those were really popular in the 1960's. They set my teeth on edge and always made me think I was drinking polluted water.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: May 04, 2016 02:34PM

Ditto!!!

I hate both of those for the very same reasons. And just reading what you wrote squeeked me out a bit! LOL!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2016 02:34PM by Devoted Exmo.

Posted by: lindy ( )
Date: May 04, 2016 06:13AM

My SR flour, all purpose flour, custard powder, dessicated coconut, icing sugar and dried breadcrumbs are all stored in Tupperware containers I bought in the mid 70's. They are indestructible.

I never did have drink cups though.

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: May 04, 2016 11:27AM

I always enjoyed the permanent hue of tupperware if it was exposed to spaghetti sauce...just never seemed to come out...i thought plastic was impermeable...guess not...we were poor enough mom always picked it up second hand at the thrift shop...it is handy and well made...if youve ever packed a lunch it sure kept things fresh even if it did have that persistant odor of lunch room...glasses however...naw..theyre called glasses because thats what they need to be...one daughter likely broke a couple hundred while honing her dishwashing skills...just the cost of having kiddies...no big deal once all shards were retrieved and the occasional piece dug out of a foot...ah family...isnt it about breaking stuff...sometimes hearts??

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 04, 2016 11:31AM

this makes me laugh because all of my gladware is permenantly stained by spaghetti sauce.

Posted by: contrarymary ( )
Date: May 04, 2016 11:35AM

My slate blue canister set of four are still going strong too. I think they're from the late 70's. Have one tall skinny Tupperware cup from the mid-seventies, and it does have a plasticy smell, but I don't think it's bad. And twelve of the colorful, metal Sunburst tumblers in pristine condition that I got on eBay a couple of years ago. I love them for sentimental reasons and they keep your drink ice-cold.

Posted by: anontodayandtomorrow ( )
Date: May 04, 2016 12:50PM

ahhh

the smell of oxidizing plastics :) brings a tear to my eye and a nostalgic whiff to my nose.

I think everyone used tupperware. My parents still have the odd piece from way before I was born. Most of them succumbed to the heating element on the dishwasher after being carelessly loaded by a brooding teenager.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 04, 2016 01:01PM

We landed on Tupperware when it first came out, in the 50's as I recall. It was a big hit. My grand mother had parties in our home. (None were LDS -- I guess they caught on also.)
It's an excellent product. I never noticed any taste -- that was about the water, not the container. I see it's still sold.
I usually buy plastic containers in the grocery store now. Don't use many anymore.

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: May 04, 2016 01:10PM

I run a household that has a "no plastic drinking cups" rule. I have had to bend it a bit in the case of visiting grandchildren; however they are required to make the transition over to glass (facilitated by the use of very small juice glasses) at the age of 3.

Imho, no civilized adult makes a regular habit of drinking from plastic; the practice is a definite sign of impending barbarism to be sure.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 04, 2016 02:41PM

One more thing about drinking cups. Before plastic cups, we could buy metal cups that we bought filled with cottage cheese, for instance, from the milk delivery man. People have saved them and they can be purchased on ebay, for instance.

Posted by: spoonemore ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 03:19AM

I don't remember the taste of Tupperware; it is the vile smell I recall. The nasty chemical taste came from the brightly colored aluminum drinking glasses.

(Household hint: avoid the red stains on your plastic storage items by spraying them with cooking spray before putting the food in them.)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.