Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: scaredhusband ( )
Date: May 04, 2016 11:42AM

I changed some of the words to a monologue in Julius Caesar. I hope that Shakespeare will forgive me for the crime against his masterpiece. I also hope that you will forgive me for tarnishing the play.

Friends, Ex-mormons, brethren, Lend me your ears. I come to bury Joseph Smith, not to praise him. The evil that men do lives after them. The good is oft interred with their bones. So let it be with Joseph Smith. The less than noble Holland hath told you that Joseph was righteous. If it were so, it was a grievous fault, and grievously hath Joseph answer'd it.

Here under leave of myself and the rest, for Holland is less than an honorable man. So are they all less than honorable men. Come I to speak in Joseph Smiths funeral. He was my bane, faithless, and conniving. But Holland says he was righteous, and Holland is a less than honorable man. He hath brought many captives to church, Whose ransoms did the general coffers fill: Did this in Joseph Smith seem righteous? When that the poor have cried, Joseph made merry. Righteousness should have been made of sterner stuff. Yet Holland says he was righteous; And Holland is a less than honorable man.

You all did see that on the endowment I thrice chanted pay lay ale. Which he did thrice accept ”that will do”. Was this righteousness? And, sure, he is a less than honorable man. I speak to disprove what Holland spoke, and here I am to speak what I do know. You all did love him once, without cause. What cause have you then to morn for him? O Judgement! Thou art fled to brutish beasts. And men have lost their reason. Bear with me; My faith is in the coffin there with Joseph, and I pray it never comes back to me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 10:08PM

Excellent post, scared husband!

Shakespeare couldn't have said it better!

:)

Posted by: scaredhusband ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 10:36AM

Thank you Amyjo. You are a kind person. Any chance you are moving to Southern UT anytime soon? :)

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 10:50AM

I wish I were able to now.

Still holding out to build more resources before I take the plunge.

Plan on visiting in Idaho and Utah next week, but more in the northern area and south Idaho where I have some family.

Being so close to Memorial Day I'm planning to visit cemeteries to place flowers on graves of my loved ones, and hope to spend some time at Bear Lake. :)

Some of my pioneer ancestors are buried in the oldest cemetery there right outside of Zion's National Park. When I visited there in 2015 I was able to visit their old tombstones, and place flowers. The rattlers weren't out yet because it was early January. The locals told me they hibernate that time of year!

It is so beautiful and peaceful there. When I do go back I would like to see Emerald Springs.

My plans are still to retire in St. George. Since learning about my relatives still living several are active realtors and brokers in St. George and there's a policeman, and painting contractors. So I should be covered when I get there.

I really like there's a jewish presence there, and an ex-Mo meetup, and lots of cousins.

Hope to see you there someday! I've already been invited to join the Daughters of the Utah Pioneers, and asked to become a volunteer at their historical museum. So have something to look forward to when I make that transition.

:)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.