Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Exmo Aspie ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 01:41PM

Sorry I haven't done one of these updates in a while. But I am back at it!

From what I can tell, the GA's are becoming more aggressive in their work to have the youth bow down to them as true prophets and apostles.

Brother Gummy brought up 14 points that people use to say that mormons follow their leaders blindly. I don't remember them all, but here is what I got down that was important.

One of the most disturbing things that I actually did not know, was that whatever Tommy Boy says, is more important than all of the standard works combined. That gives him so much power. Power that should drive a man mad. Power that says "What I say is better than Noah, Abraham, Paul, Lehi, Peter, Elijah, Adam, Joseph Smith, and all of them combined". That is a disgusting amount of power that can be usurped from the masses that follow.

And of course the one thing that really fucks up everyone mentally is that "The profit will never lead us astray". Apparently apostles can, but never the head honcho.

We were told a living prophet is better than a dead one.

We were told we couldn't really have a personal relationship with God without Tommy.

The Bullshit list goes on.

One thing I also picked up today was a story told by Brother Gummy about his experience with the late Senator Bob Bennett. Apparently his wife is Senator Bennett's niece. He said Bob was friends with all of the GA's and would often go to a luncheon with them in between saturday conference sessions. Apparently they, and all of their favorite guests load up and go to a restaurant called "the lambs" or something like that. This is a lunch for 1st presidency, quorum of the twelve, seventies, and guests. It is very expensive and each meal apparently costs around 100 dollars per person.... Ugh.

Again thanks for reading!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cpete ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 03:41PM

What is the difference between a living and dead profit.

A dead prophet can't lie.

Posted by: 64monkey ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 03:51PM

Actually I'm not sure the GA's are becoming more aggressive. I heard the same load of crap back in the 60's expect as a add on I got to hear about how blacks were inferior to us whites. I guess the new hate for your generation is the LGBT. Good luck.

Follow the leader blindly has and always will be the core principle of TSCC.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 04:55PM

"The profit will never lead us astray"

I love this one, because of the circular logic:

The prophet will never lead the church astray. And who can say the church is astray--the prophet.

As long as I say we're not lost--we are not lost.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 05:27PM

The restaurant was Lamb's Cafe on Main St., Downtown SLC (it's no longer there). It wasn't too expensive, BUT it was a power center for Utah establishments. It was said that the city elites and Morg leaders used to meet there to plan city government.

One of the major fuck-ups was that the city and Morg developed plans, in the 1960s, for indoor shopping malls up North Main St. Near So. Temple St. This caused South Main Street below 400 South to be neglected for many years.

SL Cabbie may have better info on this. The Historic Boner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2016 05:28PM by BYU Boner.

Posted by: Shinehahbeam ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 05:55PM

They don't leave the conference center between sessions for meals now. They have a catered meal in the conference center. It's usually held in an outside room on the upper level, so you can head up there after a session if watching elderly people eat is your thing. I'm sure those meals cost a good bit.

Posted by: Schaffner ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 06:23PM

Hearing Lamb's is gone was a big shock to me. It's a neat place. However, I looked it up and it looks like it is still there. But they have updated the menu (and the prices). And from the photos it looks like they cleaned and painted. Maybe they shut down for a while when they did the "update". Anyway, glad to see it's open.

Jim

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: May 09, 2016 01:29PM

You're correct, my mistake, it's still there. Google Lambs cafe and there's a great article on its history is in the SL Trib.

Posted by: kenc ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 05:43PM

Exmo Aspie
I really enjoy your posts, having been a full time Seminary-Institute educator and administrator for nearly 30 years.

I can tell you that the brainwashing about prophets not leading the flock astray and other nonsense, was dished out by us CES robots as far back as 1972, when I started in the program as a part timer.

It seemed like no matter what the topic, no matter what the book of scripture, the objective of the lesson was to lead students back to, "follow the prophet and he will never lead you astray."

Keep up the great work. I love reading your posts, and I admire your awesome comments.

Do you ever get asked to do a devotional? If so, do you use the time and the opportunity to create a little doubt? Just curious.

Posted by: huckleberry(notloggedin) ( )
Date: May 09, 2016 01:15PM

kenc~

I was in your seminary class in the late 80's. The official objective of the lesson may have been to lead students back to, "follow the prophet and he will never lead you astray," but what I took from your classes was "Be kind to each other."

I remember one year in particular, we even had shirts that said "Be Nice".

You can be proud of the positive difference you made in your students' lives. :)

Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 07:39PM

I loved the stories about the luncheons with the GAs. I'm sure you know that the GAs don't pay for anything. They charge people for the privilege of dining with them.

I once met a florist who worked for the church at SLC. She said that years ago their monthly budget for fresh flowers was $20k. When Thanksgiving and Christmas rolled around it was increased to $200k. Mind you, the general members don't get to see the flowers unless you are in the GA's offices or happen to wander around temple square.

The perks for the GAs add up. Flowers are roughly $1 Mil/year.
Luncheons
New suits every conference
cars
luxury condos (at the VCM)
I'm really just scratching the surface. The higher ups are treated very well and they don't really need to do anything but show up and blather about nothing.

The prophet will not lead you astray because they don't really say anything too revolutionary to the core doctrine.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 08:16PM

I don't remember hearing the teaching that "The prophet will never lead us astray" until my last days in tscc.

At ByU I must have had one rogue religion teacher because he taught us that when the prophet gave directions or prophecy we were supposed to do three things to be sure it was from God and determine whether or not to follow.

1. Did it contradict the scriptures
2. Did it contradict the other prophets
3. Did we feel good about it after prayer

Bet he's not teaching at BYU any more.

Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 08:37PM

That's one expensive lunch!

Posted by: GNPE ( )

Calls for a List of subjects that prophets Have led people astray on...

BY's racism, responsibility for the MMM.

BY telling that Adam is our god, blood atonement, etc, etc.

JS & his 'revelations'; varying accounts of the 1st vision.

SWK & his 'Miracle' of Forgiveness

GBH: too many to list

TSM: Hasn't said Anything substantial

your additions?

Posted by: Myron Donnerbalken ( )

As someone once pointed out here, a GA or "prophet" is only one death away from suddenly speaking as a man.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.