Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: commonsense ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 09:36PM

A few years ago I met person who works for Deseret Mutual, a company owned by the Church, which administers pension funds to retired Church employees. I was able to get on the topic of GAs and retired benefits and this employee said they get around $100K a year, which includes medical benefits. Apparently, this pension is offered to those who need it, but I wonder if all emeritus GAs would get it? In contrast, many TBMs pay tithing and do not fund their retirement savings well or in many cases not all. It seems morally wrong for the Church to take from those who have so little and give to those (GAs) who likely have so much already. Where's the justice in that?

The average retirees income is $18K a year.

http://www.newretirement.com/blog/2015/12/01/average-retirement-income-2016-how-does-it-compare-to-your-plans/?nab=0&nabe=5151101408509952:1&utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 06:40AM

Agreed. If there were more (translated = any) transparency in LDS financial accounting, tithe paying members who balance their budgets on the back of their tithes before all other debts get paid, would be even more dismayed to see how their monies get divvied up.

It isn't justice. It is a swindle. With well meaning, but sincerely deceived followers. Most tithers understand the GA is paid, and well paid. Why they don't voice more opposition to hidden finances w/zero disclosure and accept whatever they're told hands down, is beyond me.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 07:46AM

First of all, the Q15 don't retire. They die in office.

When the Assistants to the Twelve were disbanded, that might have been a handful of retirees, all of whom are dead now.

That leaves the Q70 and the Presiding Bishopric. I expect the PB would get a good pension. The Q70 has 95 members that are considered General Authorities. Anyone know at what age they are typically called, and at what age retired?

A fat pension for all the GA Q70 doesn't sound credible to me. A small pension or one based on years of service, maybe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2016 07:47AM by Brother Of Jerry.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.