Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anon Regular ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 09:40PM

I live in a very small (non American ) city/stake/mission. Growing up there were just 5 of my peers. One died young, 2 are exMo's ( me for 30+ years!!!) and 2 who stayed TBM but moved away.

In common with many of you I read missionary blogs,to check how the work is failing, and wonder at the never-ending parade of brainwashed,culturally insensitive droids who waste their time in my lovely country.

I have discovered that one of the 2 TBM's-the most Molly of the cohort-has returned for a senior's mission here.In blogs and photos she looks bored and worn down.We have not remained in contact due to distance and my apostacy.

My question is ,do I contact her after decades and open the floodgates of Mormon contact? I have been off their radar for a very long time and my immediate family is NeverMo.Or do I just continue reading the gushing blog of her MP's bimbo wife and shake my head?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 09:59PM

Catch-22?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 10:04PM

As for me and my house: no.

You will judged, found wanting and either be a project, or be pitied. I sincerely doubt she poses anything you need.

As for the memories you two might share, her versions will not correspond with what you carry in your mind.

But there is an entertainment factor, and only you can judge the return on such an investment.

Posted by: NeverMoJohn ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 11:00PM

For normal people, this would be a no brainer. Let's have lunch and catch up. If you reconnect on some level, you could have further get togethers and maybe do some fun outings. If not, it was nice to see you and hear how things are going...No big deal.

However, with a TBM on a senior mission, you have to be concerned that your name and contact information will be turned over to the Morg and that you will be harassed by missionaries and the local mormon nutters.

Is it worth the risk. You have to weigh the pros and cons. It probably isn't worth the possible hassles that could come from it. What a shame.

Mormons don't just isolate themselves. Their behavior (for anyone who is familiar with it) makes others wary of having any contact with them, regardless of how harmless.

What a shame.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 07:57AM

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 04:16PM

I'd say no. You don't need the possible future aggravation and, as elderolddog noted, her memories of the good ol' days are unlikely to sync up well with yours.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 05:33PM

I wouldn't touch her with a 10 foot pole.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 06:07PM

No/

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 06:13PM

If you mattered whatsoever you would have already been contacted.

I agree with others, no.

Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 10:58PM

Posted by: blakballoon ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 11:35PM

I'd have to agree with the no's.

I recently contacted an old friend with whom I shared many fond memories.

I regretted it within 24hrs. She immediately mistook my friendliness to mean I must be 'still strong and faithful'

She railed on former friends that had become less active, and was so Mormon it was quite nauseating. The Mormon speak was almost comical. Every sentence contained 'so blessed' or 'special spirit' or 'I'm thankful for..' Or 'immersed in gospel/spirit/scripture'

It became quite awkward. Never again. Unless I know they are out,
they are safer in the past.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 07, 2016 11:16AM

I would only do it if you could guarantee that you would stay off of the official Mormon church radar (i.e. meet in a neutral location, and use a semi-anonymous way of contacting her.) And the probability of that is low to impossible, especially given that your friend is a missionary. We all know that the Mormon church can be very clever at finding people.

Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: May 07, 2016 11:32AM

In general, I'd agree with people that you should avoid poking the bear. But you seem to have some concern for her too, when you say she looks bored and worn down, so I wonder if part of your motivation is compassion (i.e. to share the real truth with her).

If I were in your shoes, I'd almost feel duty-bound to cross her path in some way, and let her know how fantastic your life is, and how well you are doing, all WITHOUT the Morg. You might have an opportunity to plant some seeds.

Let her see that she's wasting her time, energy and money on a worthless mission trip. She was there all those years ago. Why is the church not flourishing, if it's "true" and all that? etc.

I understand that opening the door to contact can be frustrating, but I also read here that confronting people with the truth, being direct about it, and/or even demanding the same people listen to the truth (as you see it) or provide answers to legitimate questions, will usually result in them leaving you alone.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.