Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 02:23AM

http://www.farmcompanies.org/paradise-acres-berry-farm-inc

I'm wondering what the status of INA means. This is land that i'm pretty sure is owned by the mormon church. I believe it's being leased out currently.

I'm just curious.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nonamekid ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 02:31AM

Perhaps inactive?

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 02:42AM

Hmmmmmm, that was my guess.

It's far from inactive. However, I suppose it could no longer be considered a berry farm that's run by the mormon church. The people leasing it tore out all of the berries.

I'm pretty sure the mormon church still owns the land though. It makes me a bit sad what has happened to this farm.

I dated a guy in HS that was going to inherit this farm when he turned 25. He was killed in a car accident when he was 24. His father and family were so devastated that they sold the land. Sadly it was sold to someone who could care less what happened to it. That would be the mormon church.

It's a gorgeous piece of land that's complete with meadows, streams, woodland and fields. My initials and those of my HS honey are carved on more then one tree in the woods. So many good memories.

Posted by: nonamekid ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 03:04AM

Paradise acres berry farm may not own the land. LD$, Inc. may own it through another one of their subsidiaries such as Agricultural Reserve. Paradise acres berry farm may have just been a company set up by TSCC for the sole purpose of operating a berry farm on land leased from their other company and then they decided to get out of the berry business and let the company become inactive. The land may well still be owned by one of TSCC's subsidiaries and they are just waiting to convert it to some other use.

Posted by: PollyDee ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 04:04AM

INA means Inactive. Also, the farm is listed as a FBC which means a Foreign Business Corporation. Not sure TSCC fits that description, and may not own it.

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 08:15AM

Farming is not a profession for the faint of heart...it is also a high risk high input game often with mediocre returns or even losses....ownership of land has fixed costs that must be wrung out of that land and its an uphill battle...only very successful management types can make farming work...the church isnt one of these...they also rent out land in this area i assume mainly because they lack the people to make it feasible...new tractor 700000 ...new airseeder 700000 ...new sprayer about the same...inputs have tripled the last twenty years...yet the returns are barely above forty years ago...combines are about the same...land prices have gone ballistic the last ten years...if you need to carry debt to farm...youll likely drown...if you dont own a pencil...drought here this year will separate some more men from boys...it aint all roses...the Chinese and pension funds pushing land prices up are going to get educated on the reality of land ownership...i hear a few didnt get paid their rent last year....

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 08:41AM

Beg your pardon, but I have relatives who worked with Deseret Ranch in Orlando. It is one of the largest cattle operations in the US, and has been doing very well for 60 years now. True, the purchase cost nearly sank the church, but once they solved that problem, the ranch has been very successful. A number of former employees have posted here about how success ful it is.

On top of which, they are now turning slices of the ranch into high end Orlando subdivisions.

LDS Inc has a number of very large properties ( 50,000 acres to multiple hundreds of thousands of acres. Deseret Ranch is down to about 300,000 acres now) and they know how to manage them. As you pointed out, amateurs will get their clock cleaned in a hurry.

Posted by: lolly18 ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 05:23PM

The OR registration says the foreign corp which owns it is Deseret Farm, Inc., in SLC.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.