Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Bentaylor23 ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 02:49PM

When did Sunday become the day of sit around and do nothing day? Who started that in the church?

I have been working on buying a boat for the past 6 months, now my wife has tried to put a rule in place saying if Im allowed to buy a boat that it can not be used on Sunday, like I'm some kind of 5 year old. This of course started an argument.

How do I go about this? I asked her if I shouldn't because Joseph Smith told her I shouldn't. Probably not the best thing to say but it shut her up.

So annoying, she had no problem with me buying the boat before I told her I wasnt going to church anymore.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: May 06, 2016 02:58PM

This was her latest message about it.

"Because for me, that is a day of rest to relax and not do worldly things. And I'm trying to teach the kids that. They learn by example, and it doesn't work if I'm teaching them one thing and you're doing something completely different. That is my one request and I'm not going to budge. "

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: May 07, 2016 09:23AM

As if spending the day with the loved ones, hanging out on a boat is sooooooo worldly.

My mother used that term too often.

"Be in the world but not of the world"

That old crone lived in her little world of couplets.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 03:12PM

Yeah, she is teaching them 'by example'... Church over family, on the basis of squishy emotional input that the family needs to follow the profit.

You could ask for a list of 'worldly things'. But then I'm big on being silly.

But to your heading, yeah, 'doing nothing' on Sunday has come to be an expression of living the gospel. But 'doing nothing' for an entire day is not good for the human body. But logic, and intelligent discussion, is not a mormon strong suit.

Posted by: Exmoron ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 03:12PM

Just tell her that you bought the boat so that you could spend more time with her and the kids in a natural, peaceful, tranquil setting. Even the profit Joseph's Myth often sought the solace of natural surroundings to mediate, read, and spend time with loved ones. A boat simply allows you to be "in the world" but "not of the world" because there are no wordily distractions. Tell her to come out on the boat with the kiddies, bring her BOM, rest, relax in the breeze, i.e. "Honey, we'll read bible/bom stories to the kids, sing primary songs, and enjoy one another."

She'll eventually loosen up. A year from now, she'll dawn on her bikini and soak up some ray's. Just gently coax her into it. Ain't nothing like a boat bro.

Date: May 06, 2016 04:03PM

Exmoron Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just tell her that you bought the boat so that you
> could spend more time with her and the kids in a
> natural, peaceful, tranquil setting. Even the
> profit Joseph's Myth often sought the solace of
> natural surroundings to mediate, read, and spend
> time with loved ones. A boat simply allows you to
> be "in the world" but "not of the world" because
> there are no wordily distractions. Tell her to
> come out on the boat with the kiddies, bring her
> BOM, rest, relax in the breeze, i.e. "Honey, we'll
> read bible/bom stories to the kids, sing primary
> songs, and enjoy one another."
>

That's what I told her and her reply was "Sunday is a day of rest not to go out and do things."

Doing things is some kind of sin now I guess.

Posted by: Exmoron ( )
Date: May 07, 2016 07:38AM

No doubt about it - Mormons are Nucking Futz.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 03:29PM

This Sunday is Mom's Day so the joint will be jumpin'.

Besides my wife (a mom) there's her eldest daughter (mom), the latter's mother-in-law (mom) and sister-in-law (mom), my three sisters-in-law (mom, mom, and mom), and wife's best friend (mom), all of whom we expect at our pad along with their respective dudes and/or offsprings.

So that's eight moms; six are Mormoms of various degrees of purity; two are civilians. All like to dance. There will be dancing. And while the good Mormon wimmen are at church yours truly will be whipping up mass quantities of yummy food and, along with my three apostate stepdaughters, inflating balloons, gussying up the house, and scoring roses to bestow upon the gaggle of moms thus assembled.

So this Sunday promises to be far from boring, fortunately. The neighbors will probably start complaining about the music around midnight or so, right about when one of the moms grabs a broom to use as a limbo pole.

Posted by: Gone girl ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 09:32PM

Can I come over to your house? Now that's a moms day!!

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 03:37PM

I have to laugh because my Dad got us a boat just big enough to pull water skiers and he named it "Never On Sunday." Not kidding. We had a lot of fun Saturdays anyway.

You are not Mormon. The rules do not apply. Your wife is Mormon. The rules apply to your wife. You must go on at least one Sunday now to claim yourself. No choice there.

Perhaps your wife could explain to you the logic of following a belief system that you do not believe in. Perhaps you should follow the Jehovah's Witness belief system since you don't believe in that either (assuming here).

Date: May 06, 2016 06:52PM

blueorchid Wrote:

> Perhaps your wife could explain to you the logic
> of following a belief system that you do not
> believe in. Perhaps you should follow the
> Jehovah's Witness belief system since you don't
> believe in that either (assuming here).

But now I'm the big bad wolf who is such a horrible example to our children. How will they ever have any values when dad doesn't go to church and now wants to go boating on a Sunday?

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: May 07, 2016 10:51AM

Between a rock and hard place for sure. Good luck. The boat is a great opportunity to bond with the kids though--on Saturdays. Our family had a lot of good times and being on the boat at Bear Lake was one of the few times when my father was just Dad and wasn't bishoping.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2016 10:53AM by blueorchid.

Posted by: rolled tacos on a sunday ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 07:08PM

This is one of the big things that irritates me about TBM`s, the church already steals most of your Sunday least you can do is do something worth wild with the rest of it to salvage any of it. or better yet not go at all and enjoy your weekend to the fullest:)

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 07:10PM

I am afraid that would cause her to be staring at four empty walls wondering where the hell I went

Posted by: heat27 ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 07:18PM

I agree, I am trying to get that mentality out of my system. Sunday should = do a lot day

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 07:33PM

I would tell her that *your* compromise is that the kids go to church on Sunday. Then you can all go boating. If she doesn't want to go, fine. But do go out on the water and spend time with your kids. Personally, I find boating restful and rejuvenating. It's a great way to spend time with family.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 08:13PM

^^^^^Yes!!!^^^^^

Date: May 06, 2016 07:59PM

Hey, you're getting a boat!! I love boats!! Seriously, I do. I've even hinted at my old home teacher, who has a boat, that I love boating, no luck.

Okay, as to the Sabbath Day...Jesus broke the sabbath many times to explain that legalism had superseded the intent of a day of rest. In one instance, he picked up mud and kneaded it before putting it on a blind man's eyes. He did this intentionally because kneading was forbidden.

Later, St. Paul wrote that if one part of the Mosaic Law was kept, it all had to be kept. So ask the Mrs, if she intends to keep Kosher. Forbid her to mix meat with milk. Demand that she have two sets of dishes. Insist that she not wear blended fabrics, because they're forbidden. Remind her that electricity must be turned off Friday night until Saturday evening. No shrimp, pork, or lobster, they are all unclean. After her menstrual period, demand that she perform ritual purification. You get the idea.

In his "A Christmas Carol," Charles Dickens takes aim at those who dismiss the festivities of Christmas, including shops being open, and people making merry because of the tinny voices saying that such joy is breaking the solemnity of holiness.

So, Ben, Jesus, St. Paul, Dickens, and the Boner all say that you can sail your boat on Sunday!

Dude, you're getting a fuckin' boat!! If I bring the beer and help pay for gas, can I come? I promise, no boner jokes or bad language around the misses, I'll be good. Dude, a fuckin' boat!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2016 08:02PM by BYU Boner.

Date: May 06, 2016 08:39PM

BYU Boner Wrote:

> Dude, you're getting a fuckin' boat!! If I bring
> the beer and help pay for gas, can I come? I
> promise, no boner jokes or bad language around the
> misses, I'll be good. Dude, a fuckin' boat!!

Lol. You are always welcome, of course I live in Los Angeles so this might be a long drive for you.

The problem is she is saying I can't have my boat (like I'm some king of child) if I am going to use it on Sunday. Do I

A. Lie and say sure thing boss and use it on Sunday anyways
B. Say sure thing boss and let it collect dust on the holy of holy days.
C. Continue the fight that I'm going to use it on Sunday and be up front with her?

Option C is what I'm trying but she's being a Mormon about it and saying its her way or nothing. Super annoyed.

Date: May 06, 2016 09:17PM

I'm from LA, so you might have a visitor! (I was born right downtown and lived all over the basin.)

Seriously, I've been in your position with my TBM wife. I think option C is the only recourse.

I'm very sorry that Mormonism causes the pain, guilt, and stress that it does.

Anyhow, someday, we're going boating, beer-drinking, cussing, loud-laughing, and hanging out like Bros. Very best wishes. Keep posting, Ben!

Date: May 06, 2016 09:33PM

BYU Boner Wrote:
> I'm from LA, so you might have a visitor! (I was
> born right downtown and lived all over the
> basin.)
>
> Seriously, I've been in your position with my TBM
> wife. I think option C is the only recourse.
>
> I'm very sorry that Mormonism causes the pain,
> guilt, and stress that it does.
>
> Anyhow, someday, we're going boating,
> beer-drinking, cussing, loud-laughing, and hanging
> out like Bros. Very best wishes. Keep posting,
> Ben!

Wow. Small world. What part of LA do you live in? I live about 20 minutes away from Castaic lake where my plans of boating (sinning) will be happening.

Date: May 06, 2016 09:48PM

Unfortunately, I now live in Utah...but I do have plans to move home after retirement.

California, here I come, right back where I started from!
Where bowers of EXMOs bask in the sun,
Each morning and dawning
Sinning and everything
A sun kissed miss said, "Don't be late,"
That's when I can masturbate,
So open up that Golden Gate
California here I come!

Baaaaad to the Boner!

On the flip side, if you'd like a tour of temple square, I'd be happy to take you, but only if we can have a craft beer afterwards!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2016 09:49PM by BYU Boner.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 07, 2016 01:49AM

"I'm buying a boat and I'm using it on Sundays." As long as money is not an issue, please yourself.

Posted by: gettinreal ( )
Date: May 07, 2016 11:19AM

The worst part of Mormonism is that there is NO such thing as compromise. My way or the highway. My ex-wife was the same sort of person. That's why she is my ex. Good luck! I feel for ya....

Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 09:19PM

Or worse yet, stay in your church clothes all day long! Yuck!

Posted by: Rusty Shackleford ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 09:35PM

Tell her that Joseph Smith had his own bar in the house at Nauvoo - all you did was buy a boat.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 09:58PM

It always astonished me to see neighbors in my very mormon neighborhood in Utah County load up the truck and boat on a Friday afternoon and drive like a bat out of he** to get down to Lake Powell. They would spend *part* of Saturday on the lake and drive like mad to get back by late Saturday night. Couldn't really have a whole weekend to enjoy the boat or the lake cause they just had to be back for Sunday! How that could be relaxing is beyond me.

Posted by: Cpete ( )
Date: May 07, 2016 01:39AM

I hate boats, but love my lazy sundays.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: May 07, 2016 02:18AM

When I resigned from the Mo-church over a decade ago, my still-believing DH begged me to find SOME kind of Christian church to attend. He was worried that my apostate soul would wither.

So (while I would just as soon take the day off completely, even though I'm retired and have EVERY day off), I compromised and found a comfortable little Presbyterian church near our home.

I grew up as a Presbyterian, and feel right at home in this church. The young pastor is VERY bright, well-educated and articulate, and gives terrific, informative sermons. We learn a heck of a lot more from him than we ever did in the Mo-church, and DH has said so.

DH was amazed that there is no dress code at our church. The first few times we attended, he wore a suit, as he would in the Mo-church. But when he realized that hardly anybody else was that formal, he began wearing his usual jeans and a casual shirt, no tie, like the other guys.

He was invited to join a group of retired guys who get together once a month for lunch. He protested that he was not a member, and they said they knew that, but they would enjoy his company. Now he enjoys getting together with them, and was amazed that they didn't have any sort of agenda. Just a bunch of guys having lunch.

Once we get home from church, we treat Sunday like any other day. Shopping, movies, whatever.

I asked him the other day if he would ever go back to the Morg. He said that he probably could, but that he could never see it in the same light again. He has seen and learned too much to ever be a force-fed goose again.

Posted by: spoonemore ( )
Date: May 07, 2016 06:52AM

I have never been a Mo, so maybe I should butt out.

So long as you are not short-changing your family financially, how about just buying the boat and park it out
back while she rages? Just smile and kiss her on the cheek and say nothing. Then invite the kids to go boating, and when she rages give her a smile and a kiss on the cheek and say not a word. And as you pull the boat off down the street and she screams and stomps her foot, give her a smile and a wave. Give her the kiss on the cheek and the gracious quiet attitude when you get home.

Some Russian short story writer wrote a story about a man who got so insanely angry about not getting his way that he raged and stomped his foot so hard that he turned into a cockroach.

Always wanted to see that happen. Let me know when it happens.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 07, 2016 07:47AM

shit. Thank whomever my parents weren't THIS NUTS. Even though my mother could come up with things we couldn't do on Sunday or argue with my dad about going out to get burgers and malts on Sunday evening for us while she ate her's (one of my favorite memories was my dad buying burgers and malts on Sunday evening).

Ask her why she fixes a huge dinner on Sundays.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 07, 2016 11:15AM

Force-fed geese, so the fossils can have paté!

Work with this symbolism, which Catnip revealed; it's brilliant! TBMs are like penned up geese...

Posted by: gettinreal ( )
Date: May 07, 2016 11:15AM

SOOOO glad I'm no longer married to that sort of insanity...

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: May 07, 2016 11:28AM

It was I believe Spencer W Kimball who decided Sunday's needed to be a day of misery. No going out to eat any longer. No going to the park. He liked to sleep so taking a nap is permitted. Any Church work is permitted like collecting money.

The reason boating is evil is because everyone would be on a boat instead of a pew.

Posted by: fortheloveofhops ( )
Date: May 07, 2016 12:36PM

When I was growing up, not only was doing anything on Sunday (other than church stuff) a sin -shopping, eating out, anything that contributed to other people breaking the sabbath, because you know, if you buy something on Sunday, that means someone else has to work that day to sell it to you- But certainly anything fun and recreational was double sinning. And anything to do with the water was the worst kind!! We even had leaders lecturing on this from the pulpit.

This was the "reasoning". Going out and doing something fun on Sunday is a sin. But doing something fun that involves water is not only sinning, but dangerous to your very soul. Satan rules the waters, and if you go out on Sunday your soul is already vulnerable because you're sinning in the first place, so Satan can get to you a lot easier. In fact, he sees your sin as an invitation to come claim you and drown you, and it would be all your own fault.

That's the kind of crazy we were told on that subject.

In reality, I think themaster is spot on. If you go do something fulfilling and satisfying on Sunday, why would anyone feel the need to go to that boring church? If they can convince you to keep Sunday empty and boring, then they can pretend to fill you up.

I find that being out in nature is way more spiritual (if you want to call it that) than sitting around getting guilted at church or bored out of your skull doing nothing at home. I think the leadership knows this, which is why they needed to add in some supernatural fear in their message to us about keeping the sabbath holy. Going overboard like that just made the BS smell stronger, though, so it was easier to spot.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.