Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mortes ( )
Date: May 13, 2016 06:43PM

After you left have you ever went back into the building during a meeting?
If so what happened?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mamma ( )
Date: May 13, 2016 09:52PM

I have never gone back and never will

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: May 13, 2016 10:40PM

naw. Didnt have any family entanglements that I had to deal with so never even had a family reason.

Posted by: Dennis Moore nli ( )
Date: May 13, 2016 10:45PM

Hell no, never, nada, zip, nope!

Not even for my own funeral which will not be held there.

-Dennis to lazy to log in

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: May 13, 2016 11:31PM

Especially not for my own funeral. I've gone back in to a few mormon buildings for wedding receptions of family members. It felt so foreign because I don't believe in the religion, and yet so familiar. I stood next to some BOM painting scenes on the walls and told my never-mormon sweetheart of twenty years what the scenes were about. But it was all such fiction, like describing a Disney story. But I ended by saying "... for those who believe that crap". It made for a good laugh.

Posted by: readbooks ( )
Date: May 14, 2016 01:28PM

Not during a meeting, but I go to a free aerobics class in the LDS church's gym every Friday.

I make sure to arrive late and leave early so I miss the prayers.

I figure I'm getting my tithing back one exercise class at a time.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: May 14, 2016 02:09PM

Didn't go back for any Sunday meetings. Did go to hear a presentation for Institute about "Same Sex Attraction". I wanted to be clear about the Mormon theology on this topic so not to repeat it incorrectly. I learned that LDS, Inc. teaches that homosexuality exists, or at least this psychology teacher was teaching it exists, but will be taken away from you when you get to heaven and you will be "normal" in heaven.

The bizarre part was how they believe it's a sin for a gay person to ACT gay. In other words it is a full fledged sin to hold the hand of a person of the same sex if you are gay. Other sins would include kissing, living together in the same apartment, and acting affectionate in any way towards a person of the same sex. These things were all sin even if you were not having sexual intercourse or doing anything at all with regard to genitalia.

One member who knew me asked how I knew about the meeting. She seemed annoyed that I would even be aware of church activities and meeting times. Nobody else there seemed to care I was there so it was not unpleasant for me.

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: May 14, 2016 02:19PM

I've been absent from any lds building for over 5 years now, but I did go back for a missionary homecoming after about a year. My impressions at the time was it smelled like condensed human beings and their mannerisms reeked of boredom. The songs were sung without enthusiasm, nobody smiled, and the speakers droned on in a monotone that encouraged napping.

All very familiar to me from a distant past.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: May 14, 2016 10:33PM

Nope.' ll Not going in there for any reason. I worked too hard to get untangled and out.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: May 14, 2016 10:54PM

I went back for a funeral and quickly realized that as lovely as it was to see my old friends again, the only thing those people could talk about was the Church. I simply did not fit in with them anymore.

Posted by: Charee ( )
Date: May 15, 2016 01:44AM

My brother-in-law went back. He was even rebaptised. It made me sad for him. And sad for myself because at least then I had someone to talk to and laugh about the bs. We haven't talked for a couple of years so not sure how he is doing.
He just sent his son on a mission.

Posted by: overit ( )
Date: May 15, 2016 06:03PM

I went back with my kids for the baptism of their friend. It was a wonderful reminder to them of how terribly boring the services are. Jesus' name was mentioned zero times during the talks, repentance was mention 17 times, Joseph Smith 7 times, Tom Monson 3 times and obedience 22 times. I know because to pass the time my kids kept a tally sheet. The only good thing was going home and realising that we really and truly were OUT as a family. We made sure to only wear non lds approved clothing - striped shirt instead of white for males, and shoulder-baring tops for females, I showed my knees as it was hot and my daughter wore pants...the songs were veritable dirges. I had forgotten how mind numbingly boring the services were and rebuked myself for staying in so long and wasting so many Sundays. I went home and opened a bottle of wine to celebrate

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 15, 2016 07:31PM

Oh hell no. I even hate to listen to the preaching at non Mormon funerals.....can't imagine listening to doctrine being spewed forth like so much sewage from a Mormon pulpit!

RB

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: May 15, 2016 08:15PM

I had to go back to our building, after two years of being free. I and my children had endured abuse and shunning, and I was no where near recovering from all that.

I had to go back, into the "cultural hall" in that same smelly building to vote! This was very hard for me to do, and I almost didn't vote at all. I approached the door three times, before I could actually walk in. The registration lady greeted me with "Hello, Breeze--you haven't been to church, lately!"

I lost it! Without saying a word, I voted, and the next day, I used whatever clout I had in the community to make sure that the polls were never in a Mormon church, or any other church, ever again! The Mormon cult had been PAID for the use of their buildings as public polling sites.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.