Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: LazzeLarssonXVII ( )
Date: May 16, 2016 10:19AM

Had this insane encounter last week with abusers from the past and they still really treated me as a little kid. I could have any well thought-out argument thrown against them and they would just scoff at it. I am almost 40 years old and still a little kid in their eyes.

I remember a comedy movie about a professional tennis-player who made millions after millions touring the world. Always when he came back to town his mother asked him if he ever would get a real job and make a living.

I hate it. This really sucks because I get so blue for days afterwards.

Anyone else experinced the same?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: May 16, 2016 10:27AM

This is one of many things that the Mormons do to maintain control of the sheeple.

It is a mechanism that burrows itself deep into your psyche and is extremely difficult to not react in a way that makes you feel like a kid before the authority figures, even after decades of being out of the church.

A very effective tool.

Posted by: minnieme ( )
Date: May 16, 2016 10:37AM

I'm in my fifties and my parents still treat me like I'm ten.

I have tried to never disrespect my kids like that. To make sure they feel validated. If they ask for advice give it but never offer it up like I know more about what choices they should make.

It's my life and it's there life, what makes me happy may not make them happy and vice versa.

I will never get that from my parents though and yeah it is church grown. They're right about everything remember?
They have the whole truth, not like anybody else out there.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 16, 2016 10:58AM

My parents and older TBM siblings have always considered me to be like a kid who needs to be directed and controlled.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 16, 2016 11:07AM

I've noticed the same thing. My daughter balked at the last moment to get married last fall (she is TBM and getting married in the temple). I was furious and confused and whatever. She didn't say much. She flew off to TN to live with a friend.

I was desperate enough to understand that I went to the last bishop (who my daughter worships). The feeling from he and his wife and other mormons was that she had abandonment issues from her father leaving and that she had issues from her years growing up with a single mother, didn't feel she deserved anything good in life. Anything I had to say, they acted as though I was the failure and that I just hadn't given my child the life she needed because I had left the church when she was 10. And didn't have the spirit and was too not in touch with real knowledge that I had created this situation.

Come to find out months later why she bailed. It had everything to do with what happened to my life when her dad left. She was strong enough to walk away because of watching me and how I handled what happened to my life. Take that you damn mormons.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2016 11:08AM by cl2.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: May 16, 2016 02:27PM

I find that I'm considered not a responsible adult unless I've been married and had children. I don't understand that -- I'm more responsible than a lot of people who are married parents. I pay my taxes, I hold down a good job, I own my house, I even care for a critter (another sentient being that has four legs, not to be confused for "childcare"). The only way I can explain it is some people just blindly swallow what they are fed from behind the pulpit and taking a close look at my actual reality would mess with that idea, so they choose to see what they want to see.

Posted by: g0rgone ( )
Date: May 16, 2016 08:18PM

This yes....and also they ALWAYS assume the quality of my life is terrible because I'm not living my life as they think I should be.

My parents can turn anything negative in the quickness of a breath. What a godless old hag I must be, 32, childless, and living in sin with my Latin American sweetheart.

I'm happier than I've ever been, and yet that seems to be what upsets them the most.

Love, a disappointing, perpetual 9 yr old.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: May 16, 2016 10:29PM

exactly dogzilla, in mormondom those with value have to be married with kids. Everyone else is judged as a sinner or perhaps just stupid, plain and simple. In my extended family singles were treated different than marrieds. I was single at 28 and was still hunting for Easter eggs with the toddlers. And our Christmas gift exchange was exclusively with "families," singles were not included! my cousins 8 years younger than me exchanged gifts and I was a 30 year old teenager.

This is the culture created when everyone in leader ship is married.

Posted by: jojo ( )
Date: May 16, 2016 08:22PM

"a prophet hath no honor in his own country." (John 4: 44)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.