Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: May 16, 2016 08:10PM

This past week the wife and I did a road trip and we listened to a 2012 Mormon Stories podcast Tom Phillips did. In the podcast Tom mentioned he and his wife were living in different countries for 6 years. His wife and grown children had chosen the church.

I felt so bad for Tom because they (his family) were shunning him. The podcast was about 4 years ago and I am curious if Tom is still separated, divorced or whatever. I am hoping he has someone in his life now that loves him.

I enjoyed his podcast but the shunning by his wife and children hit a nerve with me. I have a TBM brother that is shunning me because I disagree with the church's policy towards the children of gay parents.

If you read this Tom Phillips - I hope you have found someone that loves you and makes you want to live.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 16, 2016 08:21PM

Single people don't want to live? I missed the memo on that one.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: May 17, 2016 09:51AM

I know. That line took me back too.

Guess what? I know a hell of a lot more married people who are miserable than single people. Especially those of us in the over 50 crowd.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: May 17, 2016 04:22PM

NormaRae Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I know. That line took me back too.
>
> Guess what? I know a hell of a lot more married
> people who are miserable than single people.
> Especially those of us in the over 50 crowd.

Absolutamente!.

I am far more happier and at peace as a single woman than many of the married people I know. Being married and alone is far more miserable than being single and LOVING IT!

I pity those who don't get how glorious being single can be.

Posted by: jojo ( )
Date: May 16, 2016 08:24PM

I am sure his wife and children felt betrayed. There are two sides.

Posted by: Jesus of Orem ( )
Date: May 16, 2016 09:14PM

From your posting history, you appear to take the church's side a lot. Why is that?

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: May 17, 2016 12:16AM

How exactly is pointing out the betrayal members feel when a loved one leaves the church "taking the church's side?"

Posted by: Jesus of Orem ( )
Date: May 17, 2016 02:25AM

Because the OP was about years of shunning (or, as we now say, "disconnection") by wife & kids, seemingly with no end in sight. Granted, they no doubt felt some betrayal; still, does that justify that kind of extreme reaction? The above poster made no mention or acknowledgment of the shun, and the abrupt manner in which the post was phrased could be interpreted as tacitly condoning or defending it. Sure wasn't showing any sympathy for Tom.

"Taking the church's side" was more about the above poster's history. Review it yourself to see what I'm talking about. The first 2-3 pages, at least, have nothing negative about the church but a few that are positive. If you look at the totality of the posts, I think you'll get the sense of them, and this particular post does fit into the general pattern of not criticizing the church.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 16, 2016 08:46PM

I can't imagine choosing a church over your own family. That is so sad.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: May 16, 2016 08:58PM

He escaped TSCC with his integrity intact.

Posted by: MrJesusMan ( )
Date: May 16, 2016 10:03PM

I don't know why marriage would provide any additional "happiness" for Tom or any other man who's scales have fallen from his eyes. I hope Tom is happy and moving on.

The betrayal Tom experienced from the cult is nowhere near the betrayal his wife gave him. I'm betting he recognized that and is in no hurry to repeat the mistake.

Posted by: BurpinupKoolaid nli ( )
Date: May 16, 2016 10:56PM

TBMs who shun their families are simply more devoted to a dead pedophile.

Posted by: blakballoon ( )
Date: May 16, 2016 11:40PM

I found the 2012 podcast difficult to listen to. It was quite raw, and Toms pain evident. I understand he has moved forward and is happy.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: May 16, 2016 11:58PM

blakballoon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...I understand he has moved forward and is happy.

...the best outcome of all...

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: May 17, 2016 01:34AM

Maybe his wife is also angry with him for telling the world that she has received the second annointing ceremony. He blew open her secret on that when he told his story. But I fault the church and not Tom for any distance between them and their marriage suffering. He has to do what he thinks is right for his life too.

Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: May 17, 2016 02:23AM

Phillips wrote and appealed to apostle Jeffrey R. Holland to answer questions. Phillips posted those questions and Holland's failure or refusal to answer sincere questions.

It is the church leadership, and specifically Holland, who have failed miserably to answer tough questions that Phillips had. They have no answers. They hide behind apologists and anonymous unsigned ESSAYS. They are cowards plain and simple. They have ZERO ability to "open the heavens" and reveal anything - and they know it.

All TSCC wants is obedient, ignorant followers. They use fear and loss of eternal blessings if you defect. Hence, Phillips' family, still brainwashed with the Mormon lingo, chose to remain ignorant. Tom Phillips on the other hand chose facts, knowledge and integrity. The later over-rules the former!

Date: May 17, 2016 09:43AM

I believe it was during the podcast Tom Phillips mentioned truth is important to him. My new goal is when TBM's ask why I left the church, I hope I can say because truth is more important to me than cussing them out which is really more likely to happen.

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: May 17, 2016 10:17AM

Didn't his wife pass away?

Seems I remember when he first started posting that his face crisis coincided with his wife's terminal illness.

Or am I remembering something else??

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: May 17, 2016 01:37PM

Posted by: Tom Phillips ( )
Date: May 17, 2016 02:00PM

Thanks for the concern and comments.

OP (themaster) asked:-
<If you read this Tom Phillips - I hope you have found someone that loves you and makes you want to live.>

Let me assure everyone that I am extremely happy and fulfilled in my life. I prefer living in reality rather than delusion. I am divorced from my TBM wife.

I am with someone who loves me to bits as do I her. We live on a small island (8.75 miles wide x 4.5 miles north to south) which is paradise to us. Our penthouse overlooks a beautiful bay on the Mediterranean Sea.

It is as though I have died and gone to Heaven (even though I do not believe in life after death, there is certainly a great life after Mormonism).

Tom

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: May 17, 2016 02:39PM

Tom,

I, for one, agree that life after Mormonism is a life worth living. Happy to hear everything is great with you and your "Significant Other".

May the farce never be with you!

Templar

Posted by: Exmoron ( )
Date: May 17, 2016 02:43PM

"I prefer living in reality rather than delusion."

Totally agree with that. Glad you have found a happy life post Mormonism.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: May 17, 2016 03:11PM

I wish you well, Tom, and I'm sure there was a lot of pain which you successfully transcended...

In the name of Jesus Smith,

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: May 17, 2016 04:22PM

That is really good to hear! Thanks for the update.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: May 17, 2016 04:25PM

Life after Mormonism is so joy filled!
So glad you have made your own heaven.

Posted by: shakinthedust ( )
Date: May 17, 2016 08:54PM

Mazel tov! You deserve every bit of happiness life has to offer.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 18, 2016 01:45AM

Wonderful. Happy for ya!!

Posted by: the1v ( )
Date: May 18, 2016 02:55AM

A small island in a penthouse looking over the Mediterranean.

You are obviously being cursed for your apostasy.....

Date: May 18, 2016 04:20AM

Yes, but I cannot even call it "outer darkness" because, at night, the stars and moon are so bright due to the lack of pollution and city lights.

Posted by: the1v ( )
Date: May 18, 2016 04:46AM

Okay now that was just mean...

If you tell me you have a fishing boat it will crush me completely.

Date: May 17, 2016 08:02PM

Now I can rejoice. Thank you for the update Tom Phillips.

Posted by: tamboruco ( )
Date: May 18, 2016 12:10AM

As I have said in previous posts - Tom's podcast is one of the most - if not THE most - important podcast on Mormon Stories. I have the full unedited version. The detail and perspective that Tom provides both into his personal life as well as church ordinances and leadership (Holland) is very revealing and really quite stunning. What an odyssey! Thanks again Tom!

Posted by: Kathleen nli ( )
Date: May 18, 2016 01:18AM

Yes! Tom, without your podcast, many (most) of us would never have heard of the second anointing!

Wishing you all the best!

Posted by: ellenl ( )
Date: May 18, 2016 04:35AM

I love it when good things happen to good people.

Best wishes to you and your SO, Tom!

Posted by: lr2014 ( )
Date: May 18, 2016 06:31AM

I always wondered,not at all being familiar with the civil court system in Britain,if what the Church feared most wasn't losing the lawsuit,but having to acknowledge so many secret things like the 2nd anointing and patently false teachings under oath,that they decided on the essays as a partial deflection to avoid serious embarrassment?

Date: May 18, 2016 07:01AM

It was not a civil court action (not a lawsuit). It was a criminal prosecution.

TSCC has broken the criminal law in England and Wales, specifically contravening the Fraud Act 2006.

Certainly they did not want publicity of the SA, but TSCC and their lawyers were petrified of facing trial. They knew the probability of conviction was almost certain.

They therefore decided to try to stop it going to trial by whatever means and and whatever cost. That included illegal activity in interfering with the justice system.

Won't work for them next time.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: May 18, 2016 07:25AM

Looking forward to next time :-)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.