Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Joe the man ho Smith ( )
Date: May 17, 2016 02:21AM

Cant guys have long hair again? Its been so long since ive been to church I forgot lol is it just because the profit says so? I mean what is really so evil about a guy with long hair? Some guys look really good with long hair so its a shame they cant grow it out and didn't Jesus himself have long hair? So isn't it more than a little strange that its banned? My family was talking about this guy that had longish hair at church and how they were surprised cause when they talked to him he was actually a nice guy. I Mean really? Just because a dude has long hair you think he probably isn't a nice guy? Gosh the craziness! Plus shouldn't someone be allowed to choose there own hairstyle for crying out loud?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: May 17, 2016 02:33AM

The culturally conservative rule-makers at the CoB still associate long-haired males with the counter culturalism of the '60s and '70s. As is frequently pointed out on this board, Mormon leadership are typically about fifty years behind the curve.

Posted by: R2 ( )
Date: May 17, 2016 03:13AM

This is true, and it includes for political views, and then they just never updated it.

Posted by: ModOne ( )
Date: May 17, 2016 11:46AM

I won't likely be around in 50 years to see any changes but here's a mental picture to get you smiling.

Imagine the G15 in their suits and ties all being photographed with their man buns!!

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: May 17, 2016 11:48AM

Why no long hair allowed? Look at how many apostles are bald or soon will be.

Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: May 17, 2016 03:05AM

Bishop said cut hair or no priesthood.

Son said chuck the priesthood and kept his hair.

At 37 he still wears it in a long, well kept pony tail. He looks fabulous,too.

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: May 17, 2016 03:13AM

By the time this rule falls out of favor with those in the morg, it will be considered counterculture to have buzzcuts and flattops, and the long hair look will be considered the normal, socially-accepted 'look', thus creating the same situations with reverse hair styles.

Of course, the churches judgement on this issue is just a reflection of western norms during certain times of the 20th century, and they have NOTHING to do with the sociocultural norms of many other cultures. As was stated above, the church is generally so insular and out of touch that they fail to recognize that the dress, grooming, and hairstyle standards they set are asinine, only considered 'modest' or 'proper' for a small segment of the worlds population, and are considered almost prudish and strange for their overreach in some circumstances (no shorts or skinny jeans at BYU-idaho? getting kicked out of the testing center for not shaving? what a bunch of bullshit)

I know the church already gets a lot of flack about this at the schools. The major complaint I hear from TBMS who go to BYU- or at the least the one thing they feel comfortable complaining about- is how rigid some of the standards are for dress. It's kind of sad because their are so many other things TSCC that are awful that need to be addressed, and yet are ignored.

Posted by: R2 ( )
Date: May 17, 2016 03:18AM

(no shorts or
> skinny jeans at BYU-idaho? getting kicked out of
> the testing center for not shaving? what a bunch
> of bullshit)
>

It's the same rules as the Middle East: nothing that shows the shape of your body (including for men) and forced to shave every day vs. having to wear a beard (restrictions on facial hair either way).

Posted by: rubi123 ( )
Date: May 17, 2016 12:14PM

Man buns are hideous! I love it when guys have short, spiky hair. Most men don't look that great with long hair. A few can pull it off, maybe.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: May 17, 2016 12:27PM

Technically: You can have long hair and a beard too and still be a good standing mormon TBM.

Reality: You will be treated differently, most likely as "less than" the other mormons with short hair and clean shaven faces.

Same goes for colored shirts vs. white shirts, tie vs. no tie, pants suit vs. dress, jeans vs. slacks, one pierced ear vs. two pierced ears, married vs. single....etc.

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: May 17, 2016 02:16PM

As ALWAYS It is about mind control.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: May 17, 2016 03:06PM

It's all about control. Technically, one would be in good standing, but would still be judged as "less than" and put under intense pressure to get a "missionary" haircut and shave any facial hair. The same with a man wearing a colored shirt to church, or a woman in slacks or a nice pantsuit in church. I think it was that Babycenter board where some Molly said that women who wear pantsuits are "trying to be men." I don't remember for sure, as that was many years ago when that comment was made.

Posted by: lucenow ( )
Date: May 17, 2016 03:18PM

I said I would shave when the RS President lost her stash and goatee...

lucenow

Posted by: Forgetting Abigail ( )
Date: May 17, 2016 03:22PM

TBM mom said to me, "I don't understand all the wild hair colors and tattoos. Can you explain it to me?" I told her it was the way people expressed themselves. She shook her head and just didn't get it like it was still "wrong". Wait until she sees me, her 51-year-old daughter with silver/blue.

Hair is hair. Do what *you* want!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.