Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: May 17, 2016 03:38PM

I have a former Sister-In-Law who is really a lovely person. Someone posted a question on her Facebook wall asking if American Indians know of their sacred BOM heritage. LOL.

I couldn't resist the urge to comment that the church is not sure there is a connection, with a "read more on LDS.org" with a link to the appropriate essay.

I wonder if we'll remain friends. I was not disrespectful. But I know the bubble must remain in tact at all costs. Nothing must endanger the bubble. Seriously!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2016 03:59PM by Devoted Exmo.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: May 17, 2016 03:46PM

What's sad is that all mormons don't know that sacred American Indian heritage has nothing to do with the BOM.

I think the native Americans get that. Too bad the mormons don't.

Or is it that their sacred American heritage is that they are really jews?

Honestly, I think mormons think they are more jewish than the jews I know and work with. Who else calls non-members of a christian faith myth "gentiles"???

Date: May 17, 2016 03:52PM

Joe was just so eager to add some kind of patina of respectability and history to his "made up space religion"

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 17, 2016 05:53PM

When asked if he was Mormon, Homer Simpson said, "no, I'm from Earth."

Date: May 17, 2016 06:00PM

LOL!!!

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: May 17, 2016 03:57PM

I have a LDS friend and we trade barbs with each other regarding religion.

Back when John Kerry was running for president (2004), my friend reported that Kerry's heritage was Jewish. So I replied, "So does that make him one of the lost tribes you guys (LDS) have been looking for?"

My friend smirked and punched me on the shoulder.

I think my friend is a borderline Mormon on the verge of being a jack-Mormon.

Date: May 17, 2016 05:41PM

Well, surprisingly enough, she thanked me for the information! I'm sure it wasn't faith destroying. With someone in that far, they just shrug and say, "well now, I guess Indians aren't related to the BOM people. I learn something new every day! The church is true!"

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: May 17, 2016 05:46PM

It's bad enough the mormons claim Amerindians as "theirs"--
they're also the bad guys in the BoM!

Date: May 17, 2016 06:01PM

I couldn't ever reconcile that factoid! That, along with the claim that this new country would be given to those who remained righteous. Well, that's not exactly the way the story wound up, now is it?

Posted by: scaredhusband ( )
Date: May 17, 2016 07:37PM

Devoted Exmo: your line of thinking seems to be inline with what my thought process is.
That and the apologist answers don't mesh with the doctrine contained in the BoM either. "the Lamenites and Nephites weren't the only ones in the Americas." vrs. "Land preserved for only the righteous."

It is a shame the other people to populate weren't righteous either. But don't worry their lack of faith and not knowing the one true church will be their father's fault... See article of faith #2

So many contradictions It makes my head hurt. I can't believe I used to swallow this pill everyday.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.