Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: May 18, 2016 02:02PM

Glen’s uncle, Dick Bills, had a western band that played the cowboy bars in Albuquerque back in the 50-60’s. He also had a kids after-school show on TV that showed western theme shows and he sang with his band called the ‘Sandia Mountain Boys’. Sandia Mountain is the mountains just east of Albuquerque.

The show was on KOB-TV and the theme song/show used that as the name of his TV ranch, the K-circle-B in Albuquerque. My brothers and I would sit around and watch the show on B/W TV.

But the gist, Glen was the lead guitarist for the Sandia Mountain Boys.

https://vimeo.com/63150146

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: May 18, 2016 02:24PM

It's sad that he has Alzheimers.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 18, 2016 02:36PM

So very sad that another immensely gifted person is struck down by that evil affliction. It is no respector of wealth or stature. I keep getting drawn to watch his concert with the Sioux Falls Symphony which showcases his genius beautifully. It's on youtube.

RB

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: May 18, 2016 02:40PM

Is he still doing shows?

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: May 18, 2016 03:06PM

He is in the final states, and can't talk.

We had a crush on Glen Campbell, when he had his own TV show. We bought and memorized all his albums. We loved his personality and sense of humor, and his boyish grin. At one time, he was considered the Number One 12-string guitarist. I think he played backup for the Beachboys, for a while.

A group of older ladies in our ward used to take the bus to Branson to see Glen Campbell--every year. He had a good, long career.

Posted by: Mythb4meat ( )
Date: May 18, 2016 03:38PM

Glenn was an incredible studio guitarist, and was a member of the "Wrecking Crew" who, especially in the mid and late 1960's, were the REAL talent behind most of the great rock bands and folk groups.

My favorite member of the crew was pianist Larry Knechtel....he wrote and played that piano introduction in "Bridge over Troubled Waters" by Simon and Garfunkle.

Also there were great members such as Hal Blaine, Tommy Tedesco, Leon Russell, etc....

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 18, 2016 04:44PM

One of my favorite songs of all time is "Wichita Lineman." My deaf grandmother watched his TV show every week and obviously she couldn't hear him!

My oldest brother gave me one of his greatest hits CD for Christmas a year after my parents died. At the time, I was spending most of my time in Colorado with my boyfriend, but I would drive home for a few days every month. I had all those hours out on the road and I'd listen to Glenn Campbell. He helped me heal because his music reminds me of my childhood.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 20, 2016 07:28PM

I love "Wichita Lineman." There is something so haunting and beautiful about that song. It was a standard at the local hamburger joint at my college. I associate that song with very pleasant memories of my youth.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: May 18, 2016 04:51PM

The documentary the referenced, "Glen Campbell: I'll Be Me," is really good. But was a little hard to watch for we females who grew up in the 60s and 70s when he was our heartthrob. Still, it made me love him even more.

Posted by: Backseater ( )
Date: May 20, 2016 12:07PM

In addition to all his musical accomplishments, he has 12 movie credits on IMDB, including "True Grit" with John Wayne, "Norwood" with Joe Namath, and "Any Which Way You Can" as himself, with Clint Eastwood and Clyde the orangutan. Not bad.

A joke from that period told of a bull on a farm near a river in Germany that got into some wild weeds and became a "stoned-Rhine-boy-cow."

My mom passed away with Alzheimers/Parkinsons and I wish I could think of something good to say.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.