Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: October 21, 2010 03:26PM

quote from the site

"I have been receiving quite a bit of profanity laced email from Mormons for showing that those word lists are not real Algonquian words"

well...... lol ??!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: EverAndAnon ( )
Date: October 21, 2010 09:14PM

Nope, it's not OK to respect crazy BS that's completely contradicting reality when it comes from people that you can identify with but to vilify crazy BS when it comes from people who you don't identify with. Especially when you use tribalism as your justification.

All humans come from a closely related group who lived in a small region of the world. We became humans just a blink of an eye ago. Look around you, pretty much any species you see is ancient relative to ours. Lose trace of this and you lose sight of who and what we are.

Crazy BS is crazy BS and Tribalism sucks, OK?

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: October 21, 2010 03:42PM

Here's another good one:

"So, if some native people disagree with my conclusion that the Bering Strait theory is probably true, that's fine with me. I respect the religious beliefs of people who believe their ancestors were here since the beginning of time, and I respect the scientific knowledge of the world that suggests we inhabited our homeland more than 20,000 years ago. What I do NOT respect are:

1) people who insist that we are a lost tribe of Israel who immigrated here, no matter what science says, because their religion says so. If we are using religion as our measuring stick, then our religious traditions about where we came from matter much more than someone else's. Use your religion to tell your own story and leave us out of it."

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: October 21, 2010 03:44PM

As "onceanelder" noted from the original site, this stuff will piss the Mormons off, bigtime...

Some of the "B-list" mopologists who've attempted to peddle the nonsense about "Micmac being Egyptian" include Wayne May and Rod Meldrum...

http://www.catholic.org/encyclopedia/view.php?id=7967

>The Micmacs originally dwelt in the ordinary conical wigwams common to most Algonquin tribes; their garments were of dressed leather and ornamented with an abundance of fringe; their government resembled that of the New England aborigines; and their main occupation was fishing. Except in the case of the chiefs, polygamy was not general. There is an old tradition, related by an Abanki of Old Town (Nicolar, "Life and Traditions of the Red Man, 1893) that the Indians came from the West while the white man originated in the East. The Micmacs are remarkable for the fact that they are the only Canadian tribe which ever used hieroglyphs, or ideograms, as a means of acquiring religious and secular knowledge. These were invented in 1677 by Father Leclerq, who took the idea from the rude signs he one day some some children draw on birch bark with coal, in their attempts to memorize the prayers he had just taught them. They consisted of more or less fanciful characters, a few of which, such as a star for heaven and an orb for the earth, bore some resemblance to the object represented. A number of manuals were composed which remained in manuscript until 1866, when Father Kauder, a Redemptorist who for some time ministered to them, had type bearing the ideograms cast in Austria, with which he printed a catechism and a prayer book. Though the hieroglyphs are still known by the Micmacs, for all general purposes Roman type has been substituted, in which a little newspaper is published monthly at Restigouoche, Quebec. In the autumn of 1849 the Protestants formed a Micmac Missionary Society, which commenced work in the vicinity of Charlottetown. Rev. Silas Rand, a great linguist and prolific writer, was the principal agent. The Indians, almost without exception, have remained steadfast in their fidelity to the Church of their first missionaries.

Posted by: Johnny Rotten ( )
Date: October 21, 2010 03:53PM

Nice FAQ site.

Posted by: elfling ( )
Date: October 21, 2010 04:51PM

What's wrong with overly complicated science?

Posted by: Nate ( )
Date: October 21, 2010 05:04PM

Some people define pizza as a combination of tomato, basil, mozzarella, and dough. I prefer to define it as yummy, both are right.

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: October 21, 2010 05:05PM

closely resembles 3-Methylindol Udskriv artiklen.

Posted by: Nate ( )
Date: October 21, 2010 05:07PM

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: October 21, 2010 05:43PM

Try the veal.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.