Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: tawanda2011 ( )
Date: April 30, 2011 08:12PM

I'm not young, but I feel like I made a major adult step today. After making nasty comments over the years to those who drink coffee, I joined the coffee drinkers and I liked it. In our very scandinavian community and very cold climate, coffee for most is an essential.I bought some good coffee beans, ground them and brewed a delicious cup. Each new step makes you realize how backward many people in the cult really are.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 30, 2011 08:20PM

When I was living with my mom, and getting up in the morning before her, she used to comment how wonderful it was to wake up to the smell of fresh coffee brewing.

I love French Roast coffee with some half and half. Mmmm!

Posted by: SweetZ ( )
Date: April 30, 2011 08:20PM

YAY Tawanda it's amazing what small things we celebrate, Wearing underwear, drinking coffee, hiking on a beautiful sunday!

I'm a fairly recent coffee drinker too. (within the last year) Some of my family members think I started drinking coffee to "prove a point" Um, no, it has nothing to do with TSCC, or my family or anything else.. I drink coffee because it's good and I like it, and it's a natural healthier alternative to Mountain Dew at!

Posted by: freegirl10 ( )
Date: April 30, 2011 08:24PM

Tawanda, I feel just like you do! When I first got free from the clutches of the church, I felt like a little girl in a full skirt, wanting to just spin in circles! It felt so wonderful to be free, and to FEEL LIKE AN ADULT! Drinking coffee was definitely one of the things that made me feel truly liberated. I also know how strange it feels today, after looking down our noses at "the heathens" for so long, who drank coffee, watched "R" rated movies, etc. Now I embrace those people who think for themselves!

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: April 30, 2011 08:32PM

Coffee is evidence that God(s) may exist.

Posted by: Emmas Flaming Sword ( )
Date: April 30, 2011 08:44PM

Coffee is proof that if god(s) exist(s) he/she/they love(s) us.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 12:17AM

I got my SIL, an avid diet Coke Mormon, a tee-shirt for her birthday that says "Caffeine is proof God loves us and wants us to pay attention."

Posted by: nonmo ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 11:22AM

Emmas Flaming Sword Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Coffee is proof that if god(s) exist(s)
> he/she/they love(s) us.

WRONG!!!!

That would be...beer acording to Benjamin Franklin...
But coffee can be a close 2nd...:)

Posted by: darkprincess ( )
Date: April 30, 2011 08:42PM

It is amazing how I look at my TBM family and friends and see them a little like children. They only want to be exposed to the same things I let my 7 yr old do; Movies, music, entertainment, food.
When I get together with people, all my nonmormon friends and I go to a coffee shop, bar, or a restaraunt for dessert. Mormon friends and family it is always at their house even if someone suggests going out. I have even been driving and stopped for coffee they wont even come into the coffee shop to sit and talk they wait in the car by themselves until I come back.
For entertainment my mormon friends and family suggest G movies and activities that cater to children-even if no kids are going. We don't do concerts, plays, volunteer opportunities, or card games. I did get them to start playing more interesting boardgames. We have moved from monopoly, clue, and life to Settlers of Catan.
Even eating at their house seems childlike. The last three non-holiday meals at their house consisted of chicken nuggets and french fries, canned soup, spaggheti sauce from a jar with no additions other than hamburger. I know not all mormons are like this but all the one's I know are.

Posted by: nonmo ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 11:27AM

darkprincess Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Even eating at their house seems childlike. The
> last three non-holiday meals at their house
> consisted of chicken nuggets and french fries,
> canned soup, spaggheti sauce from a jar with no
> additions other than hamburger. I know not all
> mormons are like this but all the one's I know
> are.

That sounds absolutely disgusting...Whenever we have people over, we like to prepare a nice home cooked meal..or barbeque at least..

Chicken nuggets and canned soup/spagetti sauce as a formal meal to entertain guests with is just plain disgusting.....

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: April 30, 2011 09:20PM

I can't believe I was taught that coffee was a poison or that it would keep me out of heaven or made me a bad person. Honestly, WTF? I don't know about joining the world of adults by drinking coffee, but it certainly heralded an exit from the world of Mormon weirdos.

Posted by: deb ( )
Date: April 30, 2011 09:21PM

Isn't the coffee just awesome???!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: April 30, 2011 11:56PM

It is not a religious thing, it's a health matter.

I'm always cautious trying new foods and drinks.
Some foods/drinks don't set well with my body.
I can handle a small cup of coffee in the a.m.But that's it.
Same with teas. Some teas don't agree with me either.

Date: May 01, 2011 12:25AM

The first thing I tried was green tea because I know some LDS that drink it.

Then I tried black tea, because my non-LDS British Grandma drank it when I was little and let me drink it before my mom met the missionaries.

Then I got brave and headed to Starbucks because I'd always felt so left out of humanity because I "couldn't" go. I still go there occasionally, when I deserve a treat but I mostly drink coffee at home now and only a few times a week. I'm like SusieQ and have to monitor my coffee and tea - more than one cup a day and I'm sooo dehydrated. So I rotate the two, depending on my mood. It's great to wake up to a warm cuppa - or even an iced tea occasionally. Congrats on your new found treat.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 03:24PM

to drink coffee or drink alcohol, (or any number of other choices against Mormonism), for instance, to solidify our independence from the LDS Church.

Date: May 01, 2011 05:41PM

Excellent point - SusieQ. What solidifies our independence from the LDS church is making the decision for ourselves whether or not to drink coffee, tea or alcohol. If you decide no on any of those things, it's YOUR decision and that's what makes you free from Mormonism. Free from having to be obedient to them.

That being said, when you are around too much Mormon nonsense, a nice cup of coffee helps clear that sticky sweetness out of your psyche. Something about drawing a clear line between us and them.... But again, only if you want to.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 05:55AM

Posted by: brefots ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 11:00AM

Lots of milk, no sugar. Mmmmmmm.

You're in a scandinavian community you say. I'm from scandinavia so I'm curious. Norsk? Svensk? Dansk?

Posted by: tawanda2011 ( )
Date: May 02, 2011 11:05PM

A Finlander in Minnesota.

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 11:37AM

After your first sip did you scream TAWANDA!!!

Posted by: givemethismoment ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 11:43AM

oh YAY good for you!!!!!!!!!!! :)

I was babysitting the first time i drank coffee. the family had gotten one of those keurig things and invited me to use it. I thought it was disgusting but I felt good tasting it!! haha

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 07:16PM

Mormons like to revert to the simplest reason that you could have possibly left the True Church. A couple of real important people in my life link it to my liking for coffee and for liking to cut the lawn on Sunday. But it's true that I love coffee and make quite the little ceremony out if it by grinding my own beans and using an Italian stove-top espresso maker (Bialetti Moka Express). Now that I'm traveling, there is no way to replicate that, even though there are Starbucks here.

Coffee can be heavenly.

Posted by: Elle Bee ( )
Date: May 03, 2011 01:00AM

Love coffee! I had my first cup of coffee at around five years old, and I've been an avid coffee drinker since age 15 or 16. (I'm a nevermo, so there's no stigma about coffee. My grandparents did not harm me by giving me coffee at such a young age, either...I mean, plenty of people let their kids drink iced tea or Coke at that age.)

Coffee is wonderful and healthy - all those antioxidants and stuff - but it does upset some people's digestive system a little (others find that it keeps them, ahem, regular). My husband brought me some when he recently visited South America. That's the real thing!

And it's not like I'm somehow addicted to coffee. It's not the chains of Satan around my neck or whatever, LOL. For instance, I'm currently taking a three-week caffeine break just because.

Glad you're enjoying your delicious coffee guilt-free! :) I can't fathom living without coffee for extended periods of time even in a warm climate. I have no idea how I'd get going on a Minnesota winter morning without a cuppa. Welcome to a whole new world!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.