Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anon for this one ( )
Date: April 30, 2011 09:40PM

A panel with 4 former relief society presidents. Closing Question is posed: "Why is Relief Society relevant to 21st century women?"

Here are the answers given, almos verbatim. Keep in mind these were some of if not the most powerful women in the church.

"As women we need each others stories." (so it's all about story time...sounds like a very productive waste of time)

"Covenants keep us on the path to christ." (WTF? How is that even relevant to the question?)

"Testimonies of other sisters gave me the power to support my husband and praise him for the service he gave."(must have a douchebag for a husband if she can't respect him without the help of others)

"Our ancestors are looking forward to reacquainting with us. They are involved in the work we do." (another WTF.)

"Eliza R Snow said women are the best guardians of the home. "(thanks for keeping it in the 21st century there...oh wait.)

"Women are coming to understand how important this organization is. The priesthood brethren can help us further our progress. Relief society gives us others who help show us the home making skills and child rearing ideas to raise a righteous generation. And they help us respect our husbands and their priesthood." (I sure hope one or 2 of the 5-6000 women here see how repressed and sexist these women are towards themselves.)

Why can't any of them answer the question? Seriously, we wonder why RS is so boring? Not even the presidents know why it exists.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: vasalissasdoll ( )
Date: April 30, 2011 09:59PM

Posted by: misseponine ( )
Date: April 30, 2011 10:06PM

Seriously, some people just aren't conditioned to think on their feet (or, you know...at all!). First thought I had was "in this digital age, people are more prone to get together on Facebook instead of face-to-face. RS helps connect that way." Of course, I'm no apologist, and I think RS is gossip and pointless crap, but, come on!

Posted by: rmw ( )
Date: April 30, 2011 10:37PM

Posted by: rmw ( )
Date: April 30, 2011 10:38PM

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: April 30, 2011 10:59PM

... as shown by the former RS presidents' clueless remarks.

Great post!

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 30, 2011 11:24PM

In the case of RS, if the stories were honestly told, more than a few of the women might wise up and leave. But even without that, sharing each other's stories is a good thing. No need to snark a good reason.

OTOH, the other three are pretty WTF.

Posted by: think4u ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 11:04AM

I am gonna have to disagree. The sharing of each others stories of each others "PERFECT" lives, at least that is how it was in my snobby ward, was not at all helpful or inspirational. It was phoney bullshit.

I will never forget when one sister, whose DH lost his job, raised her hand and said, "Why can we never talk about the really difficult things that happen in our lives here in RS? It seems we only share the good or the faith promoting, and life can just be so hard, and it would feel very supportive to know that others face trials as well"

Then Sister SelfRighteous raised her hand and said, "That would be completely innappropirate. My mother taught me as a young girl to NEVER air my dirty laundry in pubic"

Then Think4u here raised my hand, and I just kindly ripped her apart.

I told them all that the first sister was right, that no one's life is perfect as so many pretend in the church, and that I think sharing problems and difficulties would not only be a good but a healthy thing to do, in order to really be able to reach out and let each other know we are not alone.

I explained that if we NEVER speak about these things, HOW do we know who really needs a helping hand, a word of encouragement, or even just a hug?

Well, that ended that conversation.

Sister #1 is still active to my knowledge, Sister SelfRighteous' DH became our next bishop, and well, you know what happened to me!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2011 11:10AM by think4u.

Posted by: FreeRose ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 08:09AM

"Our ancestors are looking forward to reacquainting with us. They are involved in the work we do."

The dead are INVOLVED? LOL

"Women are coming to understand how important this organization is. The priesthood brethren can help us further our progress. Relief society gives us others who help show us the home making skills and child rearing ideas to raise a righteous generation. And they help us respect our husbands and their priesthood."

You are right, sexist! SHOW us homemaking skills and child rearing? HELP us to respect our husbands? Gag.

And the whole notion that women have POWER in TSCC is laughable.

This whole organization is irrelevant, archaic, and sexist. I only went to RS a few times because I was teaching in Primary and had to set up the room and get materials. Dang, with messages like these, I would have left TSCC a lot sooner!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2011 08:10AM by FreeRose.

Date: May 01, 2011 09:48AM

Great post! You have a very analytical mind and a GREAT sense of humor. Loved it! You should take credit.

And like you said, the real question is, "Why is it so darn boring and irrelevant? Even when TBM, I rarely went, good excuse to skip out, go home and make dinner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2011 09:50AM by think4u.

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 09:57AM

Remember when sister Smoot's stated goal was to "keep the RS sisters out of the malls" ?

Bitch did not have an ounce of inspiration and my mom was pissed beyond belief about her saying that LOL.

Guess the priesthood hadn't bothered to tell sister Smoot that a multi-billion dollar church mall was coming down the pike.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 10:16AM

...more and more LDS women think RS is irrelevant. Hurray!

Date: May 01, 2011 11:13AM

She might want to look up the meaning of happiness in the dictionary or wikipedia, I mean wow.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.