Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: May 27, 2016 05:28PM

Great Story here about 3 companies who've been found guilty of calling the Do Not Call List or however it works.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/3940513-155/jury-finds-utah-companies-made-100

The names of the companies are so morg-related. I hope they have to pay every dime and it goes towards something besides legislator payoff.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: May 27, 2016 06:05PM

I especially like the irony of "Corporations for Character" being one of the guilty ones.

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: May 27, 2016 06:27PM

Police-firefighters-and military provide the most believable scams. they are the extremes of emotion. The perps,after serious flogging,should be thoroughly chastised.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 27, 2016 06:32PM

I've heard that the professional telemarketers end up keeping the lion's share of the donated funds. Much better to donate directly if one feels so inclined.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 27, 2016 06:31PM

Time to knock these pests off their phones!

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: May 28, 2016 12:38AM

They don't need to get your number from any lists. All they do is have a computer program cycle through all numbers (295-0001, 0002, 0003 all the way through 9999). If a disconnected number tone happens, it logs the number to exclude it later and keeps going. If it hears an answer and a "hello", it logs that as a good number and hands the call over to a telemarketer.

The best defense is to have google voice screen every call for you on all calls with numbers that are not in your address book. Announce in your outgoing message that you don't take sales calls and then ask them to state their name and the purpose of the call for screening purposes. Then while they wait, your phone rings and plays their recorded name and purpose of the call for you. You can press a number to answer, or another number to reject the call. If you reject the call, they get a message telling them that you rejected the call. They won't even bother leaving that message. That's your revenge on sales people who tried to bother you. They know that your phone will never ring and that you have successfully rejected their attempt to even be noticed. Sales people know not to dare to lie on that recording. They just hang up and your phone never rings from those clowns. Be prepared to tear their head off if they lie in the screening recording. That hasn't happened to me yet. If it ever does happen though, I plan to act interested in their product, long enough to find out they and their company is. That's how you take back control of your phone so others can't use it to bother you.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2016 12:50AM by azsteve.

Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: May 28, 2016 02:15AM

Or if they are calling. A cell phone use a free cell phone blocker. I use Block'Em. It free on the Google play store. I've used it for years. I'm also on the Do Not Call registry as well.

Posted by: Rusty Shackleford ( )
Date: May 28, 2016 02:20AM

Feature Films For Families relied on a "referral list" - basically, they suckered customers into giving out numbers for their family & friends who would be "interested" in their schlock.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: May 28, 2016 02:53AM

DON'T ANSWER. They can leave a message on the machine if it is important.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 28, 2016 10:06AM

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 28, 2016 04:24AM

Most the calls I get that are spam calls are not subject to the do not call list by virtue they are scammers and criminals, not legitimate telemarketers to begin with.

I get so tired having to answer the phone only to hang up on these crooks. There is call block devices to help filter these calls.

The FCC says the best thing to do is simply hang up on them. Don't give them any information whatsoever.

Especially no account #'s, personal info, and never wire money becuz once you do it's as good as gone. No bank or credit card can get back wire transfers once made. It's like handing cash to a stranger on a street corner, bearer negotiable instrument that it is.

Posted by: formermollymormon ( )
Date: May 28, 2016 01:18PM

I don't answer if I don't know who it is. I love that my cell phone has the ability to block callers. It's too bad that blocking numbers on a landline isn't as easy and last time I looked, it cost money for a service and/or equipment. It has been a while since I looked so it has probably changed.

I remember telling one caller that I do not pay bills or donate money over the phone if I did not initiate the call. You have no idea if the person on the other end is legitimate or not.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.