Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Atari ( )
Date: May 27, 2016 09:38PM

people figured out the Bible is fiction.

I wonder if Lord of the Rings will replace the Bible in 2000 years. Maybe Harry Potter will be the new Jesus. It really is remarkable that a book of fairy tales became seen as true.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: May 27, 2016 10:01PM

I've often said that the world would be a much better place if everyone had a happy childhood.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 28, 2016 12:28AM

It's really stretching optimism, but I've read commentary pointing to the possibility that it is never too late to have a happy childhood.

I think it's an attitude sort of deal...

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: May 27, 2016 10:03PM

...there were no war.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: May 27, 2016 10:09PM

...everybody would simply give me 10% of their income. (I'll be happy to provide little envelopes to help out.)

There is, after all, precedent.

I'd like to chat further but if you'll excuse me I have to get back to staring at this rock in my hat.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: May 27, 2016 10:15PM

I think it would be neat to own a copy of the Silmarillion in a pocket-sized edition with supple leather cover and onion skin pages. Maybe a triple combination with the Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, and the Silmarillion in one book. I would carry it everywhere.

Posted by: Richard Foxe ( )
Date: May 27, 2016 10:26PM

"The world" you experience is your dream, partly individual and partly collective from other minds. And who is causing your dream problems if not yourself? (Or the One Self of humanity, which as part of Its dream thinks It is 7 billion separate selves.)

Really, the Bible-is-fiction bit is repositioning one deck chair on the Titanic.

Posted by: Richard Foxe ( )
Date: May 27, 2016 10:42PM

William Blake:

"Do what you will, this world's a fiction
And is made up of contradiction."

So it's like some character (like Sheldon's mother) in a fictional TV show (TBBT) realizing that their TV bible (a stage prop) is fiction...

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 27, 2016 10:45PM

If religion did not exist...or barring that, one religion was not bent on destroying every other human being on earth not of their faith.

RB

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: May 28, 2016 01:52AM

....if all people received a valid, over-the-top education.

....if all people remembered and practiced what they learned in Kindergarten. Remember that wonderful poem?....share your popsicle with your friend, take a nap when you are tired, say you are sorry like you mean it....

Posted by: The Last Real Man ( )
Date: May 28, 2016 03:53AM

There were no Homo sapiens.

We're like a scourge, completely at odds with nature. We kill wild animals who threaten our domestics animals. Build roads to every corner of the earth so we can sit on our butts in air conditioned comfort, killing innocent animals that happen to cross our path. We pretend to be purveyors of morality, ethics, and reason. We act like driverless cars and the propagation of cell phone towers improve the earth.

Pretty much every day the thought occurs to me; Frankly, I'm not all that impressed with the species Homo sapiens.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.