Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: antilehinephi ( )
Date: May 28, 2016 06:52AM

A little back story: a very dear friend knows my exit from the church. She is open minded,a prop. 8 opposer, a democrat, who thinks the November policy is BS, and polygamy was thought up by JS. However she still believes in the BOM. She just sent me an email with information about a cruise to the Holy Land with an emeritus GA. She thinks this would be a great trip for my Exmo hubby and I to take. How do I respond? I thought she understood me. I am kind of hurt that she doesn't.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 28, 2016 07:17AM

I would respond as if you were making a joke, or maybe not, i.e. "LOL! I thought you knew me better than that. If hubby and I were taking a cruise, we'd go to [fill in the blank.]"

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: May 28, 2016 02:53PM

If this is a "very dear friend" I'd use humor so as not to hurt her feelings.

I like the suggestion you poke fun by starting with: LOL! You are always good for a laugh. Holy Land with a GA? Hubby and I are rolling on the floor. But the idea of a cruise has gotten us thinking. Any chance you'd join hubby and me on a "worldly" cruise to Tahiti?

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: May 28, 2016 01:57PM

"No thanks, not interested."

Either she didn't believe that you left--i.e., she's disrespecting you--or she's using you to confirm her own (apparently tenuous) belief. Either way, it's not your responsibility to prop her up.

Your responsibility is to be a friend--i.e., to be honest, to show integrity.

Friends of Mormons don't let those Mormons troll them.

Posted by: Forgetting Abigail ( )
Date: May 28, 2016 02:04PM

Makes me think she couldn't get anyone else to go with her. (?)

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: May 28, 2016 02:10PM

I'm interested in the GA part. So if the old fart gets enough in his group, are his expenses going to get paid from getting X amount of bookings? Just wondering, old habits die hard and I doubt he'd pay his own way as it's habit, by now, to live high on others dimes. The Boner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2016 02:11PM by BYU Boner.

Posted by: Antinephilehi ( )
Date: May 28, 2016 02:33PM

The trip is probably paid for. Some of the topics for the lectures are:
"Joseph Smith the BOA and the facsimiles", "Explanation of Evolution", "Doctrine of the higher order-the temple".
Sounds like a good time.(sarcasm) I can't figure out what ship they are using.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 05:55PM

That sounds like a little slice of hell. No escape either. I can't imagine ruining a cruise with a boat full of mormons.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 28, 2016 02:35PM

ridiculous. Sounded like nothing but total boredom to me and I was very devout. I hated going places like Lion House or temple square or this is the place. My aunt always had to make it such a big deal. Never was interested in going to the Manti Pageant or Hill Cumorah or church history tour.

I suffered through the first year the Martin Harris pageant was put on. It was almost 4 hours that year. OMH.

Why in the hell would anyone want to go on a cruise with a GA. Talk about ruining the entire reason for going on a cruise.

Posted by: cognitivedissonance ( )
Date: May 28, 2016 02:44PM

antilehinephi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How do I respond?

- Being with Family is more important than being with a GA

- I would rather spend good, hard earned money on a decent Coffee Pot.

- No! I would rather go on a non-biased cruise.

or just plain "NO"

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 28, 2016 02:50PM

You could make his cruise Hell. That would be a mission worth doing. Those fat cats and their cruises in their emeritless status.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 28, 2016 04:02PM

Maybe it was an attempt at some very droll humor?

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: May 28, 2016 05:11PM

a few travel ppl (operators, promoters) offer nude / clothing optional Nude cruises, is this one?

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: May 28, 2016 08:35PM

When I read the title of this post I thought it was about a gay prostitute movie starring Richard Gere as Dieter Uchtdorf.

Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: May 28, 2016 08:45PM

Response:

The church GAs have said I am supposed to stay on their Good Ship Zion for safety. But actually it's already hit its iceberg, and like the Titanic is sinking.

After having jumped off that shipwreck, why get on another that is endorsed by another GA?

Date: May 29, 2016 12:05PM

Good one. How about they say they don't want to be cruising with a GA speaking as a man on a pleasure ship?

Posted by: raiku ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 02:42PM

I wonder if the GA is paid like a typical speaking engagement for this?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 02:44PM

I thought Santa Monica Blvd. was going to be mentioned.

Posted by: bona dea unregistered ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 02:48PM

I think making it a joke might offend her. I would just say 'no'and tell her it isnt your thing. Suggest doing something else another time to let her know you value her friendship.

Posted by: B0yd ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 06:38AM

Darn it, I thought this would be about Bednar in Sydney darlingHurst

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 08:06AM

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 09:34AM

It probably costs a great deal, but if you have the means it may be worth cornering the emeritus GA on some of these questions and make him squirm.

Date: May 31, 2016 12:54PM

+1. Ruin these former movers and shakers retiree's visions of heaven for themselves says I, if you can.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 04:18PM

“Oh! The Mediterranean is place to be to help the tens of thousands dying as they try to get out of nearby war-torn countries! I’m so glad the GA is going to help remedy that awful situation. Tell me how we could help if we came?”

Posted by: bordergirl ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 05:49PM

Tom Cruise with a GA? Really?

Posted by: Godzilla ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 05:55PM

Is your friend offering to pay for the cruise? If it isn't I wouldn't take it as an invitation but as a suggestion.

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 06:11PM

Is this like one of those cruises that you see at the bottom of the 'national edition' of the deseret news that I get every week at my house?

PUKE. They always sounds awful. Just what I want, to be holed up for 2 weeks with some GA emeritus nobody who is still trying to hold on to his waning quasi-fame by talking about his 'expertise' in the Gospel. Man, I can really feel the spirit move me, and boy, are my bowels filled with love and compassion when I hear this man delicately explain how it really WAS possible for that 'simple farm boy' to translate the Book of Mormon using nothing but the Urim and Thumin and the gift of the holy ghost.

*When I said spirit move me, I meant to vomit, and when I said bowels filled with compassion and love, I also meant explosive diarrhea. Which are two preferable activities to going on 'LDS cruises', by the way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2016 06:12PM by midwestanon.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 06:15PM

A cruise to Israel with a boatload of Mormons....oh yeah...my Catholic wife would just jump at the chance!!! NOT!

RB

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.