Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Evergreennotloggedin ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 09:32AM

DH and I traveled to DC this week and we wanted to meet up with my sister who lives in the area and who we have not seen in over 2 years. We wanted to meet her for breakfast on Sunday, our only time available before the flight out was about 9:00am. She said she had to go to Sacrament meeting and could not meet us. I guess we know where we stand in the pecking order. Is there a rule that all must attend Sacrament meeting or is there a rule that members cannot eat at a breakfast establishment on Sundays?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 09:39AM

Mormonism requires strict adherence to vaguely worded, constantly shifting, doctrines--or policies, or doctrines that become policies.

Posted by: evergreen ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 09:43AM

Or rules that used to be doctrines or policies that were uttered by former prophets that momos are told to no longer follow because current prophets seers and revelators have newer conflicting rules to follow.

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 09:43AM

Yes, is the answer to both your questions. For some people, the guilt and fear they would feel, if they were to think on their own and prioritize what's real and in front of them over their brainwashed beliefs, is too much to cope with. So follow the brainwashing they must.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 09:54AM

"Family Forever"- Unless it's on Sunday.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 10:27AM

Yeah, families "forever," not families "first." The corporation comes first, then family (unless some members of your family "struggle" with "same sex attraction.")

Posted by: evertgreennotloggedin ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 10:37AM

We were taking bets on what she would choose. WE were not completely surprised with her choice.

Posted by: gatorman ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 11:00AM

How are the Waffle Houses in DC area?

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 12:55PM

Waffle House's are the same everywhere. Best food you ever had when it's 2:30 am & you're wasted. Crappy & nasty in the daylight when you're sober.

Posted by: yamsi ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 11:45AM

The sad part is that next week at F&T meeting the choice to avoid a sinful family get together becomes a feather in the cap when tearfully shared to prove loyalty to the cause.

Posted by: Forgetting Abigail ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 11:56AM

And it was a missionary moment to show the poor disillusioned soul the right way.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 12:18PM

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 01:06PM

Can relate to that all too well and what it felt like for you.

Feel good that you were on the right track doing what a god, gods or the spagetti god would give you a thumbs up for, and what I think friends would give you the same.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 01:15PM

We choose to adopt rules to justify our own existences. The church peddles such rules--it's in its interest to do so.

I'm a member of the church. I go to the first meeting on Sunday because I like to. I ignore the other meetings, temple visits, family dunkings, callings, almost all of the tithing, fasting, scripture readings, conferences, etc. I mostly keep Sunday "holy" by accident--I find I like to avoid spending $ one day a week at least (my family and I are pretty poor).

But, make no mistake about it, if I was getting something out of it I'd adhere to some of the other silly stuff. Your sister is getting more out of the church's rules than she is out of her relationship with you. You don't justify her existence; the church does.

The church teaches that the church is more important than family. That's not what it SAYS, of course--it could never get away with such honesty--but that's what it teaches.

Posted by: Whiskeytango ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 01:33PM

Exactly.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 02:19PM

TSCC is a harsh mistress.

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 02:25PM

bradley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> TSCC is a harsh mistress.

Jimmy Webb would be honored by the reference.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 02:48PM

That's deep. I like Linda Ronstadt's rendition: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N88b6YpSMYE

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 04:34PM

bradley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's deep. I like Linda Ronstadt's rendition:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N88b6YpSMYE

I like Ronstadt's rendition as well. I believe the piano accompaniment is by Jimmy Webb in this version. The man couldn't sing well enough to lull someone ODed on Xanax into a state of sleep, but he could compose, and his piano skills were insanely good.

Posted by: Never Mo but raised Fundie ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 02:25PM

Devil's Advocate:

You were in DC for a week and the only time you could meet with your religious sister is during her most important church worship service?

Posted by: msmom ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 02:26PM

I don't argue that it seems harsh she couldn't meet you Sunday before your flight, but if you were in the area on days other than Sunday and you know church is more important to her than anything, maybe another time could have been suggested?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.