Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 04:26PM

This was on KSL.

Sister missionary walked away monday evening in ogden utah.

They have cops looking for her.

Hope she makes it home safe.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Godzilla ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 04:32PM

TSCC should have an easy opt/way out for missionaries. Maybe a 2 month trial also. And that early returned Missionaries don't be shunned for their right and decision to quit.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 04:45PM

You make is sound like they're slaves! oh, wait...

It's a fascinating story! I hope find she exmos before her fellow missionaries find her.

Date: May 31, 2016 04:46PM

Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 05:03PM

I'd be emotionally distraught if I was called to Ogden. Hope she's okay. It's fucked up they blasted her on the news, too.

Posted by: anonculus ( )
Date: June 01, 2016 12:53AM

Yeah sure, "emotionally distressed"...like Paula Alquist?

I wonder if this is a new policy intended to serve as a warning for everyone else.

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 05:04PM

I'm sure that the morg cops are staking out the airport and bus terminals. And, I hope she escapes before the church cops find her and "bring" her back. This is a sad thing, I hope it turns out well.

The pressure that these kids are under is immense, I'm surprised that more of them don't crack. I agree that there should be a way of escaping their mission with fear of retribution.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 09:12PM

The commercial preceding the runaway video is a hoot. "This Unicorn Changed the Way I Poop - Squatty Potty"

https://youtu.be/YbYWhdLO43Q

Posted by: Bebel ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 05:08PM

Run, Heeji, run! :-}

Date: May 31, 2016 05:10PM

To me it makes more sense that this was not a spur of the moment thing.

We've all heard the stories of the MPs, and their lackies, doing their best to keep a struggling mishie in the field.

Figure this in, too: doesn't her bank card automatically refill tomorrow?

I want to believe that she's with her 'way home', on her way home.

Note that the story says nothing about concerned parents...

I'm hoping for a another in the continuing series of public black eyes for la iglesia mormona.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 05:10PM

Heartless Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hope she makes it home safe.

I agree. Mormons have "discernment", "The Priesthood", "God's direct involvement" in their missionary program but they can't find a missionary?

I bet if she has some car keys on her they would have found her by now.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 05:12PM

Wonderful -- someone in the comments section is already wondering if she had "unresolved issues." Blame the volunteer. Lovely.

Posted by: lapsed ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 05:22PM

Hmmm, I think I just got censored.

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 05:26PM

When I lived in Utah I was pretty good friends with a girl who was originally from Ogden. She didn't have a high opinion of it and stated that parts of it were pretty dangerous (unsurprising since she both used and trafficked heroin and other drugs in the town). I really hope nothing happened to her, people have this idea of Utah being this super-friendly, old-timely knock-on-any-door-and-the-people-will-invite-you-in-for-supper kind of place, but it's absolutely not. I've spent like 3 nights in Ogden (I spent way more time in Salt Lake and Utah County), but my impression of it was that it was exceptionally seedy-looking and ugly.

I was also told (though am not able to verify) that at one point the city of Ogden has the highest teen pregnancy rate in the country. Great job mormons.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 05:35PM

the article states that the police or church don't think "foul play" involved ... I take that to mean she went AWOL. I hope that is the case. I wish there was some way to offer to support to her if she did go AWOL, the church is going to be very unhappy, they have lightened up a bit in recent years, but I expect she will get a heavy dose of shaming.

There are some pretty seedy spots in Ogden, although most of it is pretty common suburban town. I have noted a lot of tweaker looking types in Ogden, Clearfield, Roy area when visiting. Wouldn't want my daughter alone with out transportation or shelter. I suspect she has friends in the area that helped.

Posted by: redpill ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 05:33PM

It just occurred to me that a new approach to door to door missionaries would be to let every companionship that knocks on your door know that your house is a safe house for missionaries trying to get out of the church and/or back home. We might be able to help someone like this.

Posted by: gatorman ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 06:31PM

Brilliant idea. I may tell the missionaries at church when I next attend that very thing

Gatorman

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: June 01, 2016 12:29AM

Very good idea!

Date: May 31, 2016 05:40PM

She's a Spanish-speaking missionary, so that means not the best parts of town, usually.

Posted by: Forgetting Abigail ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 05:56PM

Keep on walkin, sister.

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 05:58PM

Aren't Spanish Catholics one of the fastest growing groups in Utah? It says 10% catholic on the Wikipedia page.

I mean, other than the frenzied reproduction that occurs among the regular mormons in the state.

Posted by: kativicky ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 06:24PM

If she did make a run for it, she is probably 1) not even in Ogden to begin with and 2) she purposely did not leave a note about where she was going just so they wouldn't track her down. I noticed that the parents were not mentioned in the article so either they do not know what is going on or they were in on her leaving.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 06:27PM

Uber->airport->houston.

Best of luck, girl.

Nice mic drop, btw.

Posted by: maizyday2 ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 07:07PM

If I were this missionary, I would be mortified about the church and law enforcement plastering my photo in the media. Especially so soon, and when no foul play is suspected.

The girl is legally an adult and she can go wherever she wants, whenever she wants.

She doesn't owe the church an accounting of her whereabouts. Just because she VOLUNTARILY did so for the time she was on her mission, doesn't mean she has to keep doing it.

Posted by: story100 ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 09:22PM

My thoughts exactly. The media talks about it like a kid has just disappeared, not an adult. It is so foreign to the average person that it could not be presented this way on the news in any other state.

Posted by: abby ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 08:21PM

She disappeared in a sketchy area at night. I hope she made her way out of that hell hole.

Posted by: silvergenie ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 08:23PM

As much as I dislike TSCC, I think this is a matter of "dammed if they do, and dammed if they don't."

According to the article this young woman walked out when she was in an emotionally distressed state. If this was indeed so then I do believe the TSCC has a duty of care in finding her as quickly as possible in case she has suicidal intent.

On the other hand, if they do find her at a bus station or the airport or anywhere else and she wants to go home, she should be allowed to do so and not be bullied/shamed into completing her mission.

Date: May 31, 2016 08:52PM

"I hate this mission and I want to go home" isn't what I would call emotional distress.

Someone in the Trib comments pointed out that the church could be "poisoning the well" with that comment, so that the TBMs, if she speaks out, can prattle on about Satan, the adversaries and her period, each picking their favorite. It's fun when you have lots of incorrect choices to keep from picking the correct explanation.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 08:55PM

I wonder if her family is LDS. She is from Woodland, TX not far from Houston. It's a very nice, rather affluent area.
My concern, at this point, is for her safety. Looking for an update but have not found one.

Posted by: Anon for this ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 11:58PM

My sister knows this girl from stake MIA activities. I got the sense that my sister who is in stake leadership knows a bit about this, will see if she knows details yet.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 08:57PM

Sunbeep mentioned the "pressure on these kids". But at 19 years old, she isn't a kid. She is an adult who has finally learned that she can act like one.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 09:12PM

I hope for her sake she's in no imminent danger, and is seeking help wherever she is.

Date: May 31, 2016 09:30PM

It just occurred to me...

In any big city, if you took these facts to the police, they would not do anything right away.

There would be a lot of questions her companion would have to answer on the issue of 'emotional distress.'

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: June 01, 2016 12:00AM

I read on another thread that she showed up in SLC. They now know where she is, so she's probably safe and not to worry about her being out on the streets somewhere.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: June 01, 2016 12:03AM

madalice Wrote:
> I read on another thread that she showed up in
> SLC. They now know where she is, so she's probably
> safe and not to worry about her being out on the
> streets somewhere.

Glad to hear that. They need to do some work on how they deal with missionaries. Many simply don't like their missions and want out.

Date: June 01, 2016 12:11AM

madalice Wrote:
> I read on another thread that she showed up in
> SLC. They now know where she is, so she's probably
> safe and not to worry about her being out on the
> streets somewhere.

I'm looking for a reference. Every news article I've found shows her still missing from Mon. night.

Posted by: tnurg ( )
Date: June 01, 2016 01:00AM

Good for her, above all - I do hope she is safe! Obviously, the mormon mission experience was not pleasant/likely brutal for her to take this kind of approach in leaving; however, she must at the same time be respected by law enforcement/church security - after all, she is an adult women/a free agent! If they have located her as noted, she should be given the opportunity to contact people she can trust! As Always, tnurg (GRUNT)

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: June 01, 2016 01:10AM

What is the best way to get word to missionaries that our's is a safe house? We don't attend. Many would toss our card thinking we are just "anti."

I was thinking of posting on Facebook that our's is a safe house, but they will be asked a few questions so that we could verify who thy are. I'd like to post a phone number, but know that TBMs would call at all hours just to mess with us.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Once an RM who had adult-onset schizophrenia made his way to our house and called his dad who came and was a complete asshat. The boy had come to our home once, and knew that he would be looked out for, and walked clear across town to find us.

Suggestions for those of us who would like to provide this?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2016 01:11AM by kathleen.

Date: June 01, 2016 01:14AM

IF...she is found, NO report has been given to the media. She is still missing according to all of the last news reports.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.