Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Hmmm... ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 08:39PM

Went for my annual breast exam last Friday and received a call today telling me I need further tests this week to explore an area of concern. Actually, I am quite frightened right now. Are there any survivor stories out there anyone is willing to share this evening? I would deeply appreciate hearing from any man or woman with a survival story you're willing to share here...with my thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 08:46PM

I have had three women friends who have gone through breast cancer in the last year and a half. All are fine now and back to normal. Don't scare yourself. Don't assume the worst. It is no picnic but there is every reason to be positive. Just go in as soon as possible for the follow-up because the not knowing part that you are going through now is the worst and the "what if's" become worse than a plague of frogs.

Once you know and either it is all okay or there is a plan in place to get you to okay, you will feel more in control--which is the key.

Date: May 31, 2016 08:52PM

Thank you for your words of wisdom, blueorchid.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 08:53PM

There were about ten years where every exam was followed by a callback for me. None were a real problem in the end.

Try not to freak out until you know there is a good reason. This could be nothing.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 08:54PM

Up to 85% of callbacks are false alarms.

Try not to worry too much. Just follow up and make sure it's' nothing.

If caught soon enough, breast cancer has a very high survival rate with early detection.

Doctors err on the side of caution however. I had a regular mammo last year, then went for a biopsy due to an abnormality which turned out normal. Six months went by and then I needed a follow-up exam which was also normal.

Then they did an ultrasound of the other breast and decided two tiny dots needed two more biopsies with additional microchips. I balked at that point.

Called my insurance company complaining I didn't want to be a porcupine with needles sticking out all over my body. They told me that particular radiology place likes to bill for every little thing. (I was new to that facility.)

Made my own judgment call, and decided not to do the last two biopsies. The first one I will have the titanium chip for the rest of my life. Their job security does not equate to my health.

Regular mammos are beneficial. Be your own advocate when it comes to health care though. Get the additional testing done, and then go from there.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2016 06:03PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 09:14PM

I got one of those call backs about 7 years ago. I had to have a "stereo biopsy" IIRC as to the procedure. Everything checked out and my mammos have been ok since then.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 09:29PM

Was told there are many false positives w/re to breast biopsy results. Please get second opinion if anything comes out "positive."

For most women, things turn out ok.

For me, though, it was clear that I had cancer. I chose a 2X mastectomy with no reconstruction, which left me looking a little aerodynamic.

Cancer free for three years and feel wonderful!

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 09:34PM

There have been huge improvements in breast cancer detection and treatment in the last couple decades. (I worked in biotech developing oncology meds, including breast cancer meds, for 10 years, btw)

Good chance it's not cancer and if it is there's a lot you can do about it.

Coincidentally I have two chronic, incurable cancers in me right now--one's a blood cancer, one solid-tumor. I can't get rid of them but I can treat them. Every few years when they start making mischief I go in and get chemo for the blood cancer and surgery for the other guy. We pimp-slap those punks back into their sorry little caves. Oh, one of them might get me one day. Until them, I "getbusylivin"

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 11:34PM

www.breastcancer.org

Most call backs are to get a closer look, not because they think it's cancer.

Most biopsies are to find out "what it is", not because they think it's cancer.

Im something of a laywoman expert on BC. I highly recommend the above link.

Date: May 31, 2016 11:42PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2016 11:45PM by angela.

Posted by: MexMom ( )
Date: June 01, 2016 01:33AM

I too, had a call back, and it turned out to be nothing. I hope the same for you Hmmm...

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: June 01, 2016 01:59AM

I had my first mammogram earlier this year, and got a call back because of a possible cyst, which are harmless. When I went for the second mammo focusing on that spot, I was told I didn't need an ultrasound because it turned out to be nothing. As there's no family history of breast cancer for me, I wasn't worried at first because I thought I got the call back due to having dense tissue, and they wanted a good baseline to compare future mammograms to.

Date: June 01, 2016 05:40AM

adoylelb Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I had my first mammogram earlier this year, and
> got a call back because of a possible cyst, which
> are harmless. When I went for the second mammo
> focusing on that spot, I was told I didn't need an
> ultrasound because it turned out to be nothing. As
> there's no family history of breast cancer for me,
> I wasn't worried at first because I thought I got
> the call back due to having dense tissue, and they
> wanted a good baseline to compare future
> mammograms to.

Don't put too much weight on family history when it comes to risk for BC. Yes, it can be a factor for some, but the vast majority of women who get breast cancer have zero family history. The two biggest risk factors for BC are 1)being a woman and 2) getting older. Two things we can do nothing about.

Most women who get BC, also have children and breast fed, so those are not as protective as we are lead to believe

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: June 01, 2016 11:26AM

Posted by: raisedbyjackmormons ( )
Date: June 01, 2016 11:46AM

Very true about the no family history... I have no one in my family except for my great aunt, which they don't count. I am a fit biker, I eat healthy, I don't smoke, I breastfed three babies for over a year each, I drink maybe one drink a month, if that. All of this virtually guaranteed that I would not likely get breast cancer. But I did. I also got mammograms and caught it as early as humanly possible.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: June 01, 2016 02:53AM

I need to get a mammogram done. I will be 44 in three weeks and have never had one, but I'm petrified of doctors and live in Germany, where seeing a doctor is even more daunting than it might otherwise be.

My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2014, right after my dad died. She lost a breast, but is doing fine now. She's 78 years old now and I think had the mastectomy done purely for practical reasons.

I empathize with your fears and hope it's nothing. At least you're brave enough to get the screening, though, and that's a step in the right direction. Hats off and best of luck to you.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: June 01, 2016 07:00AM

Many insurances cover not only mammograms but ultrasounds of the breasts. They're as good or better than mammograms at picking up subtleties a mammogram might miss.

And not nearly as invasive as a mammogram, or as daunting IMO.

It's worth making an appointment and get it done, both for your health and to help you overcome your fear. Fear is irrational - but I totally relate because I have phobias of doctors, needles, and hospitals.

I tend to go anyway, but it takes some serious effort on my part.

Date: June 01, 2016 07:22AM

Amyjo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Many insurances cover not only mammograms but
> ultrasounds of the breasts. They're as good or
> better than mammograms at picking up subtleties a
> mammogram might miss.
>
> And not nearly as invasive as a mammogram, or as
> daunting IMO.
>
> It's worth making an appointment and get it done,
> both for your health and to help you overcome your
> fear. Fear is irrational - but I totally relate
> because I have phobias of doctors, needles, and
> hospitals.
>
> I tend to go anyway, but it takes some serious
> effort on my part.

Ultrasounds do better than mammograms when it comes to dense tissue, and MRI's do even better, though they are notorious for false positives and are very expensive. Not sure what is available for those living in Germany, however. It's one of the reasons that younger women in their 30's (or 20's) rarely get them. They are pretty useless, so they are sent for U/S's

Downside of ultrasounds is that they do no pick up microcalcifications, which can be a sign of very early stage breast cancer.

When it comes down to it, each imagining technique has it's pros and cons, not anyone of them being perfect.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2016 07:23AM by angela.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 01, 2016 05:37AM

Usually it's a cyst or some such. I know that it's worrisome, but most of the time it turns out okay. Let us know how it goes.

Posted by: annieg ( )
Date: June 01, 2016 09:00AM

About a month after my sister was diagnosed with breast cancer, I went for a mammogram and there were problems with it. I sweated out the next week or so before my ultrasound appointment. Fortunately it showed nothing. Eight years later, both my sister and I are fine.

I do know how you feeling right now. Most likely nothing to worry about.

Date: June 01, 2016 11:01AM

In 2014 I received the same phone call. I know exactly what you're going through. Even if it turns out to be cancer, all will most likely end well for you. Mine was the very, very early beginnings of invasive lobular carcinoma. It was so tiny that the stereoscopic biopsy removed the entire cancer. Doctors suggested that I have a double mastectomy since the cells in my breasts were up to no good. So I did, and it was rough, but I was back riding my bike after a month plus 10 days. Reconstruction hurt but was very much worth it, and now I'm great. I needed NO chemo or radiation because it was so early. I never even think of it now. Best wishes to you.

Date: June 01, 2016 11:04AM

Please try your best not to worry so much for now. Likely, it's nothing serious.

I did have stage 2 breast cancer and I'm fine now. Had a mammogram yesterday and they said no worries. I have a scar but it's not a problem because my surgeon is an artist as well as a dedicated cancer fighter for me. She did a great job and the scar is thin and follows the contour of the side of the breast.

Yes, there are false negatives, but that's okay because it's better than having a real malignancy and it's better to be safe than sorry.

Hope everything goes well for you. I have a feeling you're fine and any small problem won't be anything to worry about.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2016 11:23AM by Cheryl.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: June 01, 2016 12:00PM

Let's see, the woman in the office next to mine, even as we speak had breast cancer surgery the day I started working here 11 years ago, so I didn't meet her for a few months. She's cancer free today.

I worked with a girl in Provo who was celebrating 10-years cancer free the week I started there. She'd had stage 4 metatastic cancer and actually given 6 months. She had a double mastectomy, and as I said, had made it 10 years. That was in 1998. Today she is retired and always posting on Facebook the pics of her hiking all over Utah. She dropped the bomb on me last year that she had left the church. I was SHOCKED. But so happy for her.

Here is the blog of another one of my friends who went through some really hard surgery, chemo and radiation a few years ago. She is doing great now. She is a very liberal LDS and teaches part time at UVU, along with other pursuits. I knew her since the early 90s when we were in the same ward in Alabama. I love her to death and she is one of my long-time Mo friends who never judged me. If you go to the beginning of her blog, you can follow her breast cancer journey.
http://folkladysadventures.blogspot.com/

And I've been called back twice for diagnostic mammos when my routine ones have had possible problems. They both turned out ok on the diagnostic sonograms. So there might not be any problem at all. It's easy for us to say don't panic too soon, but I'll say it anyway. Hang in there.

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: June 01, 2016 12:27PM

Hiya.

I was dx'd with breast cancer about 18 months ago and I'm just finishing up the main bit of my treatment. I had surgery, chemo and radiation. It's been a challenging time both emotionally and physically but "having cancer" has not been as scary as I thought it would be.

Take some comfort in the fact that you are doing all the right things - exams, having concerns checked over by professionals, seeking advice. If you have cancer, you have it - then you do a bunch of stuff to treat it. If you don't have cancer, great - then keep on doing your annual exams, etc. That's all you can do really.

In my experience, the time between finding my lump and finally finding out all the info about my cancer, was very, very difficult. All the 'what if?'s and the unknowns... ack!

But once I knew where I stood, I just got to work kicking cancer's ass. I feel pretty good nowadays - my energy's back and I feel optimistic!

I hope your 'area of concern' is just nothing.

Posted by: Gentle Gentile ( )
Date: June 01, 2016 12:56PM

Be thankful that they're looking at it more closely. I had a different form of cancer that several doctors assumed was nothing. By the time they did a biopsy, it was at Stage III. For any growth that isn't a skin tag or a wart, TRUST NO ONE, ASK QUESTIONS, AND DO RESEARCH.

Like the ladies with breast cancer, the surgery and radiation was an inconvenience more than anything because it took so much time. The medical staff prepare you for the worst case scenario, but very few people ever react that poorly to the treatments.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: June 01, 2016 03:12PM

Posted by: lurker99 ( )
Date: June 01, 2016 09:50PM

I know what you are going through. Last year I went to a clinic for a routine mammogram in which the results would later be mailed to the cancer hospital for evaluation. The very next day I received a call from the cancer hospital indicating they needed to get me in ASAP for additional screening because they found something that was "of concern".

Due to my work schedule, I had to wait a week before I could take time off to go to my appointment. The nurse who scheduled my appointment assured me that is was probably nothing and not to worry. Well, that still didn't stop me from experiencing a week of hell not knowing what was going on. I felt so much anxiety that I didn't know if I could continue planning things for my future, or if I needed to start getting my affairs in order. It was hard not to think the worst.

Anyway, I put on a brave front and went to my appointment. The nurse who took the new image showed me what they found that had concerned them. She explained that because this "thing" they found had round and even edges, it was most likely a cyst. An ultrasound later confirmed that was indeed all it was.

I felt SO relieved that I cried in front of the doctor who performed the ultrasound! She responded by saying that is why they try to get women in as soon as possible to try to eliminate the fear as soon as they can.

I had a mammogram performed last week, but this time at the cancer hospital. Within a few minutes the nurse was able to tell me everything looked normal!

So, my advice to you is to try not to think the worst. Try to think as positive as possible. This is routine. Whether it turns out to be nothing, or if there is "something" that needs to be treated, there are all sorts of treatments available to help you in your fight.

Best of luck to you!

Posted by: presbyterian ( )
Date: June 02, 2016 12:38AM

As others have said, the odds are overwhelmingly in your favor. I had breast cancer 12 years ago. At the time of the recheck, it was obvious that the radiologist performing the ultrasound saw cancer. I had to sign a paper stating that I would consult a surgeon.

I have had 12 mammograms since then, and I know one of these days they might call me back for a recheck. I will try to remember that there is an 85% chance that it's nothing.

Date: June 02, 2016 03:59AM

First I'd like to thank everyone who was kind enough to post their experiences, advise and encouragement. It was more helpful than you might imagine. Really.

My ultrasound did not give the results I was hoping for, but the doctor did say he believes it was caught in time that it is possible I may not even need chemo after its removal. He did say it is definitely not a cyst, but they are performing a biopsy next week to examine the tissue before the surgery for its complete removal.

The funny thing is I was thinking last week I should schedule a mammogram, but things got busy and I brushed the task aside for some other month, or maybe even next year. Then, as we were driving to the doctor for more tests to find out why I've been feeling so punk lately the breast clinic called me reminding me to schedule my annual check up, which I did do. And although I am obviously unhappy with the results, I am beyond happy it did not get put off until much later, allowing my unwelcome guest more time to grow.

I can not help but admire the women here who have gone through this ordeal before me and stood up to this life threat with courage and defiance. You are now my heroes! And also you, knotheadusc, as I truly do share your fears. I have googled you and enjoyed your lovely singing. You are a beautiful soul. Please do not let your fear of doctors stop you from annual exams that may indeed make all the difference to the length and quality of life.

Again, my sincere thanks to you all.

t

t

Date: June 02, 2016 04:10AM

You're stronger than you know.

So glad they're quick to help. Take care.

Date: June 02, 2016 10:43AM

You're sounding so strong! I remember after my diagnosis, feeling a sense of relief, just knowing what it was and what I needed to do about it. It's the unknown that worries us most.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2016 10:44AM by raisedbyjackmormons.

Posted by: siobhan ( )
Date: June 02, 2016 04:01AM

Like a chump I had my 1st mammogram maybe 12 years ago because I thought it was one of those things I Ought To Do. Even with every grant/assistance/whatever I forked over $120 to find out nothing was wrong. Even as a baseline reading I'm quite sure that medical record has long since been purged. With absolutely no support system I'd just as soon not know if I had cancer.
On the other hand my daughter's godmother survived breast cancer with only a lumpectomy/rad/chemo after avoiding a lump the size of a ping pong ball. Fortunately she was in North Carolina and Project Access funded everything and her female former partner transported her to appointments, cooked, cleaned etc. After 15+ years as a survivor my friend says she's glad she fought it, sort of, but definitely wouldn't do it a second time.
We both have come to the conclusion that the only real option is to have no fear of death.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: June 02, 2016 04:36AM

I had breast cancer in 2005. The worst part of it was the waiting. Waiting for lab results. While waiting, your mind has a way of going to all of the worst places.

I had stage 1 breast cancer. I went in for an out patient surgery. I have a scar on my left side, but other than that i'm fine. No more cancer.

Some things I learned:

About 85% of breast cnet is on the left side (?)
Most occur at about age 50-55.
Most are discovered by the patient first.
It's highly curable when caught early.

There are other things, but I don't recall all of them. Also, if you have a lot of anxiety when going in for a mammogram, ask your Dr. to prescribe one Valium for you to take right before you go in. Be sure to have someone drive you there and back.

I've had several false alarms since then. It's the name of the game. Keep calm and carry on.

Date: June 02, 2016 09:37AM

Another tip my surgeon told me was to take a couple of tylenols the night before and the morning of a mammogram if you're worried the pressure will be uncomfortable. It does make it better. She also said it helps to limit or eliminate caffeine on those days.

None of this seems that important lately because new machines and procedures have made the test much more tolerable in my opinion.

Date: June 02, 2016 10:48AM

I'd never taken an anti-anxiety pill in my life, but asked to be prescribed a few during my ordeal. They helped immeasurably. It was a relief not to have my stomach in knots 24-7.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: June 02, 2016 11:44AM

My mother was diagnosed with cancer - TWICE. This was long before chemo, etc. Her reaction? I will beat it! And she did. Twice. She died decades later, just short of her 94th birthday - with no cancer.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.