Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lone Star ( )
Date: June 01, 2016 02:45PM

Does anyone have a copy of the text to Elder Whitney Clayton's 2016 BYU graduation speech? My BYU friends think I'm making up the "disconnect immediately and completely" quote in which he tells graduates not to have anything to do with former members who attempt to "proselytize" our lack of faith.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: June 01, 2016 02:53PM

"The faithless often promote themselves as the wise, who can rescue the rest of us from our naivete," Clayton said. "We should disconnect, immediately and completely, from listening to the proselytizing efforts of those who have lost their faith, and instead reconnect promptly with the holy spirit."

http://www.sltrib.com/news/3805769-155/byu-grads-encouraged-to-keep-an?page=2

Date: June 01, 2016 03:01PM

Thanks, Eric. Do you know whether or not the entire speech is available? I can't find it anywhere on byu.edu or lds.org. The church seems to have hidden it, almost as if they might be embarrassed by it!

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: June 01, 2016 04:12PM

Date: June 01, 2016 07:36PM

Thank you! This is perfect!

Posted by: warningwarning ( )
Date: June 01, 2016 05:24PM

warning! You will present this factually based data to them and they will:

1) try to pretend the statement wasn't made
2) try to disprove it as anti-Mormon lies ("you twisted what he said!")
3) say it doesn't matter that he said it
4) and finally, they will defend it. "of course we shouldn't connect with anti-Mormons!"

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 01, 2016 09:09PM

5. They will immediately disconnect.

Posted by: mountainbike ( )
Date: June 02, 2016 08:21PM

Cognitive dissonance is a very real thing. Mormons don't think when it comes to their church. They all believe they have the answers to everything and believe they are better than everyone else. Many of them have low self esteems and are power hungry. Anything that is related to the church that could somehow ruin their testimony, even if it's really and objectively true, goes right through their head. They've been trained to respond this way, and don't realize it. They can't see things for what they are. All they know are defenses and excuses. This is what cults do. They train members and indoctrinate them by replacing the members' brain with that of the cults'. It's really sad and my heart goes out to these people, because many times it's not their fault. They were brought up in the church by TBM parents so, unfortunately, the cycle continues. It's a very difficult thing to break. I've talked to many TBM's in their 20's very respectfully, with incredibly grounded energy and charisma, about what is really going on with the church. Surprisingly I can partially get through them. And when they start to realize what's really going on I can definitely sense a change in their mood. They squirm, and become uneasy. Somehow, someway, they are starting to awaken.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: June 01, 2016 05:46PM

I'd love the opportunity to speak with Brother Clayton directly about this.

I would ask him, "So you're saying that my wife should leave me because she is devout and I am not?"

Then I would move to within an inch of his face, so he could smell my breath, and I would add:

"You had better think carefully before you answer me, Brother."

Posted by: Facsimile 3 ( )
Date: June 02, 2016 09:37AM

***** CAUTION *****

Do not make the mistake of underestimating LDS, Inc. These guys are not stupid and the PR message delivered by Clayton was carefully crafted to encourage members to disconnect from apostates without actually telling them to do so. If you read his words carefully, you will see that members are only being told to walk away from apostates who are sharing information, and only in the context of active sharing.

From the church's perspective, this coded advice will lead to one of two scenarios:

1. Best case: members "disconnect" completely from apostate friends and family.

2. Worst case: members "disconnect" from any conversation/information involving "controversial" issues.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: June 02, 2016 10:35AM

As I commented on another thread, this statement is in direct violation of the commandment in D&C 121, which says to CONFRONT those who disbelieve, to meet them in both public and private, so as to make THEIR shame "manifest."

Don't the GAs read their own scriptures?

Posted by: Facsimile 3 ( )
Date: June 02, 2016 10:46AM

Nice catch...that will be very helpful.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: June 02, 2016 12:15PM

Clayton is trying SOOOO hard to break into the 15. He has been for a long time and apparently he was really shocked when the last three goons were put in and he wasn't one of them.

I think he's trying to double down on the hate rhetoric trying to secure his place. There are several 90+ geezers who should be making room for him soon.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.