Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Forgetting Abigail ( )
Date: June 02, 2016 12:06PM

Just thought of this incident that happened as one of my last callings about 15 years ago. I was YW counselor at the time. One of the young women, daughter of a member of the bishopric, came to youth night dressed like a Hee Haw girl. If you don’t know what that look is allow me to paint a picture. She had her hair in two long ponytails on the sides of her head, tied with long ribbons. Her top was gingham check and tied at the waist; no belly button showing, but a tiny hint of skin. She was wearing tight above the knee shorts, not Daisy Dukes, but not garment-worthy, and cute little skimmer shoes. She had always been very conservative, but stylish in her attire and at first I raised an eyebrow. But immediately my thought was, “Look who has chosen to express herself” and did one of those inward nervous smiles when I know what was about to transpire. Didn’t take long for the YW President, also bishop’s wife, always dressed in her long skirts and tops buttoned at the throat, to come to me and say, “I think so and so’s outfit is inappropriate and I’m going to let her know”. I just kind of rolled my eyes. The YW Pres approached the girl and told her how she felt and the girl went home, which was a 25-minute drive. (Yes, people actually drive that far to church in non-Utah areas) Needless to say, she didn’t come back with a different outfit. I felt bad for the girl. Soon afterwards I went to church on-again off-again until I left for good within the year.

I have to wonder how that Hee-Haw girl is expressing herself these days…..I hope she has multiple tattoos and wears Daisy Dukes or whatever the hell she wants.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Forgetting Abigail ( )
Date: June 02, 2016 07:41PM

Seriously, no one cares about me...no matter where I go I never fit in, online or in person. Don't even bother commenting. I won't be around to read it.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: June 02, 2016 07:57PM

I guess Granny got her.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/d0/30/fd/d030fd1d82b7ec589d103f743707a0ae.jpg

Too bad. I guess she never came back?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 02, 2016 07:57PM

goddam it, I was going to tell you about the time, in 1964, Ronald Batson and I went to Sunday morning priesthood with our hair done up as Beatles!

The other priests thought it was a hoot. We got a lot of looks in opening exercises, and our advisor never said a word, but Bishop Worthen caught us on the stairs coming from our classroom and instructed us to 'christian up'...

We'd gotten the reactions we wanted, so we did, but later I had to show my girlfriend how we looked. She and her sister weren't impressed.

Date: June 02, 2016 07:58PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> instructed us to 'christian up'...

He really said that?

Like Man up? Jesus had long hair so that makes no sense.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 02, 2016 08:03PM

Okay, I put exciting words into the good man's mouth.

I don't recall his exact words. But they were humble, direct, with the intent that we understand that we needed to obey him, which we, as servants of ghawd who had to bless the sacrament a mere 90 minutes later, did.

Then we giggled our way out to the parking lot.

Date: June 03, 2016 11:45AM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Then we giggled our way out to the parking lot.

I totally understand. Growing up they called us "young men" when we were mere boys. Telling us to act like young men at 12 is silly.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 02, 2016 08:09PM

I used to have one of those gingham-checked shirts. It had a built in tie at the midriff. For a young girl, that type of shirt is darling.

IMO kids need to be allowed to experiment and express themselves through clothing. It's all good. Too bad that your uptight YW president decided to clamp down.

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: June 03, 2016 08:21AM

Poor girl did nothing wrong, cut offs that were immodest. I bet those Mormon bitches were just jealous. What they did to hee haw girl was so rude

Posted by: curious2no ( )
Date: June 03, 2016 01:18PM

Funny tale. (Love the title of your post, too.)

Interesting to see how a "conservative, but daring" Mormon portrays herself back in the days. It would seem standards haven't changed much. A girl dressed like that today would still likely be sent home.

Posted by: koriwhoremonger ( )
Date: June 03, 2016 01:28PM

I was expecting something - not sure what - something scandalous?

Disappointed. Those are just cute shoes from I can see.

Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: June 03, 2016 02:37PM

I'm thinking that one little moment expressing herself brought so much humiliation, that she never bothered again, and is now faithful morgbot.

Just what the YW Pres wanted really.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: June 03, 2016 03:13PM

ziller can confirm this thread ~

ziller snagged the hee-haw chicks number ~

IN B 4 ~ BR-549

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.