Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: trisha ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 11:56AM

I sent my resignation letter our priority with delivery confirmation. Yesterday I recieved a letter from member records (with the invitation to come back BS) saying they had to send the letter to my stake pres and branch president. They said he would be contacting me soon about this matter.

WELL problem is, I stated in my letter I didn't want any contact, unless it was my final letter stating I am no longer a member. They are completely ignoring my request by having my BP contact me. The only reason I am making a big deal about this is because I was very close to the BP and his family. He is a wonderful man, and was actually just called as BP about a month ago. Since leaving the church, he called me a few times and then gave up. His wife, whom I was best friends with, cut all ties. She and the other "sisters" felt they needed to block me on FB too. In the past 3 weeks I have had no "love bombing". I am worried they are up to something. Maybe it is just me being paranoid, but even grocery shopping I am always looking over my shoulder...

Anyway what should I do now? What if he stops by or calls? I do not want to hurt his feelings, I care for him a lot. I wanted to resign without ANY contact from leaders. Any advice? TIA

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 12:09PM

Nothing, it is standfard proceedure. You will get your letter out and they will not contact you. Congradulations

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 12:16PM

You could call these local so-called leaders and leave a message saying you want them to move the process along and you'll _______________________ (do whatever if they contact you.)

In the blank you could say you'll contact your lawyer. It helps if you state his name. You might say you'll contact the newspaper, a news station, the police, or you'll spray them with the garden hose if they trespass. All of these threats have worked for others.

Some people don't mind being contacted. They either say no thank you or use the F-word, whatever.

Sorry for the delay. Good luck.

Posted by: archytas ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 12:19PM

It's possible the local leadership will honor request for no contact, but sometimes they try to contact you anyway.

I would recommend calling SLC directly anytime you feel like things are getting delayed. That's always a good way to kickstart the process again.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 12:24PM

Page 72

"If a member sends a written request for name removal directly to Church headquarters rather than to local leaders, the Office of the first presidency will forward this letter to the member's stake president for action in accordance with this section. The stake president should give prompt attention to such requests. If Church headquarters has not received a response from the stake president within 60 days, the name removal request will be granted automatically."

There really isn't much the locals can do now. If they sit on it, you are out automatically.

If they call, I'd try to stall them past that deadline just to watch them twist in the wind.

Posted by: They don't want me back ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 12:40PM

It's posturing from LDS Inc. as if they still have some control or authority. How silly that they want to act "as if" my resignation will come under review from them and have to be approved by them. Well let them pretend all they want. It's all a show for the sheeple still in formation waiting commands from the cult leaders.

You've resigned, you're no longer a member. All that follows is that the hampsters have to spin their wheels for awhile.

Posted by: Friend of a Mo ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 02:45PM

Sometimes I wonder if the letters are even read. Has anyone stated in their letter that they are aware that headquarters thinks it's a "ecclesiastical matter" and but they don't give a rip and if they are contacted in any form other than the final out letter they will contact their lawyer?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 03:05PM

trisha Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Anyway what should I do now? What if he stops by or calls?

You can tell him, "Yes, I sent in my resignation. Please proceed with it. You can waive the 30 day waiting period."

If it were me, I would add that my resignation in no way reflects on him as an individual or my friendly feelings for him and his family. In other words, it's not personal.

You can't control what others do, but you can control how you respond.

Posted by: lawstudent2013 ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 03:35PM

So I sent my resignation letter about 4 weeks ago. I got the letter telling me that my letter was forwarded to Bishop blah blah blah. So I emailed the Bishop telling him that I don't want contact and asking him to move it along. Just for fun I addressed him as "Mr. (his last name)" rather than Bishop. So he sends me the following email back

"Mr. Lawstudent2013,

Your request was received by me and is being processed. The removal of a name from the church records is not done at the local level. The individual's request is submitted in writing to SLC for final disposition. In your case, SLC has received your request and is being or has been processed. I will not be notified when completed.

Bishop (his last name)
He just couldn't address himself like everyone else does he had to throw in his sacred title of Bishop. I am just glad that I am out!!

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 04:16PM

Send a copy of your resignation letter top the Bishop and the SP. Emphasise the no need for contact point.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 04:54PM

She was your best friend.....what a show - a pretend act- she was putting on. Happens with Mormons a lot. Fake friendshops- all conditional on IF you behave as you are told to by the "Church". What a pathetic group of people!

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 09:34PM

The are a sort of anachronism to a time when the church policy was that a member was not allowed to resign. A member who wanted out had to go through a church court, would probably be found guilty of apostasy, and then be excommunicated. They can't legally uphold this any longer, but still send the letter to you as if to make it a local issue. Just ignore it. By and by you will get your second letter stating that you are no longer a member. It could take only a few days to a few weeks. If you notice after a month that you still don't have it, call the Gregg Dodge's office (the number is on this board somewhere), and rattle his cage.

Legally, you were out of the church as soon as you posted the letter. No worries. Welcome out.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 11:31PM

No worries. Now get on with living your life the way you want. Take your power back and own it. Don't allow others to mess up your day!

The problem with requesting "no contact" is that we cannot control other people.
So, there maybe some contact. It's easily dealt with.
It's not personal.

Posted by: OzDoc ( )
Date: May 01, 2011 11:34PM

I have posted before that I was waiting to see how long the locals could drag out the process.

I sent my letter to Greg Dodge & the Pacific regional HQ in August 2009 & waited

I received the "Bishop's begging letter " from some unknown on 29th April 2011. I am in the process of composing a rocket of a reply in which I will now quote page 72 of the CHI. Thanks for the new ammunition.

Date: May 03, 2011 09:37PM

Some people here have successfully completed the whole process within a week. Mine took only three. SLDrone, who, due to his church connections, was able to deliver it directly to a GA and completed his within minutes.

Of course, Mormons are seldom known for having their sh*t together. Maybe Aussie bishops are even worse.

BTW, are you actually a doctor? A physician? GP? Dr. of Letters? Just asking. I'd like to go by "Colonel," but no one will play along.

Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: May 02, 2011 12:54AM

Just keep calling and bugging Dodge's office. Tell them you requested no contact and keep demanding that they process your request NOW without any waiting period. If you are enough of a pain in their ass they will just do it.

Posted by: tawanda2011 ( )
Date: May 02, 2011 01:05AM

My resignation only took about 2 months. Bishop called and invited me to resignation mtng. I politely declined the invite but proceeded to tell him I hoped that he would consider getting out of the church as quickly as possible B/4 his children are irreparably hurt. Also, was able to explain my thoughts abt JS predatory nature, and other things. I know you said you like the bishop so you may not want to "enlighten" him . Once you write the letter you really are done with them. They have no power over you. Enjoy life!

Posted by: WickedTwin ( )
Date: May 03, 2011 11:47PM

The local bishop (who I have never met) emailed me and said he wanted to discuss my resignation. After getting some opinions on the board, I decided to email him back.

I referenced the part in my letter where I said not to contact me.

Then I just wrote "we don't know one another. Fulfill my request and leave me be. I'll be looking for my final letter from Salt Lake."

Seemed to work. Hard when you know the person, but maybe something like I did. I don't want to discuss it just honor my request.

Posted by: Rose Park Ranger ( )
Date: May 04, 2011 12:07AM

It's a security risk and a waste of time.

Posted by: Oz Doc ( )
Date: May 04, 2011 01:58AM

Yes Cludgie I am that terrible thing in Mormondumb , an educated woman. Trained as a doctor in the 70's & 80's( the first Australian Mo female doctor-what an honour!!!) and have worked continually since & with the help of a Never-Mo husband raised 2 now-adult children who have no idea what Mormonism is.

I work as the number 2 in a neurosurgical team-all the fun of surgery without the heaviest responsibility.

Posted the letter to bishop clueless c/c Greg Dodge this morning.

Date: May 04, 2011 05:34AM

Now I must defend my manhood. I will cover my privates and talk down to you in a gruff manner that I may intimidate you. For I have the PREESThood. Actually I don't. But I did. I was a high priest and did the usual stuff. It was awful. I had no credibility as an LDS micromanager because I could not micromanage. I did the opposite--I was always, like, "Yeah, whatever. I don't want to tell you what to do, so... Whatever." Lower echelons liked me, the stake president always disapproved, and I'd get talked to.

I wish I could be a doctor of something. I think I'd love medicine except for that nasty thing of dealing with sick people or cutting up bodies in a gross anatomy class. Or working in a clinic or hospital. Otherwise, I'd bloody love it. I live the easy life of working for the federal government, one of the few Americans anymore who gets huge benefits from the job. Not too much work, great pay.

Anyway, you rock. How are things in your parts? What city are you in?

Posted by: OzDoc ( )
Date: May 04, 2011 08:40AM

Hi Cludgie.

I live in the civilized city of Adelaide-just big enough -not too big like Sydney, not too cold & impersonal like Melbourne, not too brash like BrisVegas. Eastern staters make jokes about us but we have lifestyle.I have coffee on my balcony overlooking the sea,have five first-rate wine districts around my city (the nearest is close enough to cycle to on weekends) and it's a 25 minute trip to the city centre. Adelaide is big enough for a symphony orchestra and prides itself on its arts scene. The waters around are pristine-we kayak & dive.

Adelaide was called "The City of Churches" -the only convict free colony welcomed all non- conformist denominations. Unfortunately one of them was TSCC.Australia is doing OK at the moment-our dollar is high. Makes it a great time to travel.

Date: May 04, 2011 09:20AM

We're like neighbors.

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: May 04, 2011 12:13PM

If the b/p presses the issue, you might want to say to him something along the lines of, "You're a nice person, but understand this: process the resignation now or you will hear from my attorney. Do you really want to be the person who opened up the Mormon church to a lawsuit?"

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.