Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Exmo Aspie ( )
Date: June 07, 2016 01:23AM

So on Sunday I went back into the bastard child of high school drama and the mormon church, also known as the YSA.

I wasn't really in the "give a fuck mood" on that Fast Sunday. So I went to a shell gas station, purchased a cup of coffee and a Vienna Cream Danish.

I took my delicious treats to church, walked in, sat down, and had breakfast in front of the entire congregation. The Bishopric looked at me in absolute horror as I munched on a delicious Danish and washed it down with a damn good cup of Joe.

Of course the meeting turned into a mind numbing testimony meeting. Bunch of dumbasses stating the truthiness of the church.

After that I went to Gospel Principle. It was so stupid. It was pretty much a lesson on people out to destroy the church, and persecution, and whine whine whine!. But apparently all of us are guilty of cyber-persecution! Yes. That's what she called it. I've never heard of that word until now. It's just sad, equating our critique of our former faith to straight up cyber bullying.

I wanted to stand up and just call this bitch out on all of the times Mormons have persecuted other people(which is a lot), and how it is unfair to compare people who critique mormonism to cyber bullies. But I held my tongue.

I then went to Elder's Quorum where I just tuned out and played some apps on my phone because the lesson was about the pride cycle, it's not like I'd heard that one 5,000 times.

Again I just want to thank all of you so much who have supported me and my works, it's been a ride, and I hope to keep those good vibes coming!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: byuatheist ( )
Date: June 07, 2016 01:31AM

Due to my peculiar situation, I can't afford to be so bold as to drink coffee before Mormons. I just tune out and develop ideas in small, pocket-sized notebooks whenever I can; if I can't, I just leave and walk around.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: June 07, 2016 02:42AM

Damn! You go, boy!

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: June 09, 2016 08:03PM

Aspies do it best! Bolder than the rest!

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: June 07, 2016 02:52AM

... tell him you're just following the instructions of modern-day scriptures:

"For, behold, I say unto you, that it mattereth not what ye shall eat or what ye shall drink when ye partake of the sacrament, if it so be that ye do it with an eye single to my glory—remembering unto the Father my body which was laid down for you, and my blood which was shed for the remission of your sins." (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 27:2)

Then watch his jaw hit the floor!

: )

Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: June 07, 2016 03:17AM

Exmo Aspie,

What/who is making you attend church? After all you have been through, after all of the hypocrisy, what reasons are you given to force you to go?

I'm not blaming you at all. I'm just angry at your parents. I'm sorry that you have to go through this. It just sucks.

Keep the (non) faith brother! Hang in there.

Date: June 07, 2016 03:58AM

Oh just an old syndicate that had control of my family lol. Yeah it's my parents that make me go

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 07, 2016 05:13AM

Hopefully when you go off to your summer job or college in the fall, you can start to fade away from church.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: June 07, 2016 05:29AM

"my parents make me go." If your over 18, that's not a good excuse. I encourage you to start living your own life, your old enough to stop doing what "mommy says."

Date: June 07, 2016 05:37AM

I'm still 17

Posted by: minnieme ( )
Date: June 07, 2016 07:12AM

hate to say this but regardless of your age if you live at home they make the rules.

Totally sucks but yeah, that's how it goes.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: June 07, 2016 09:46PM

Actually, parents do not have infinite power, even if the child is living at home. You may or may not have been a parent, but I know you've been a child. You know better.

Posted by: gettinreal ( )
Date: June 09, 2016 07:10PM

As a parent and as a former child I can say the following with certainty... If you are living in your parents house, they set the rules. You don't have to follow them, but then again, you don't have to live in their house either. Even at 17.

Posted by: Lurker92 ( )
Date: June 07, 2016 06:04AM

Dude, you are bitch awesome! You remind me of my young 18 year old self from 5 years ago, when I would go to Priesthood meeting instead of Relief Society in my YSA ward, because I didn't enjoy homemaking & baby-making lessons by blubbering, hormonal women. I got so many dirty looks from the women in my ward, but the men didn't mind, mostly because I had the bod & smile of Marilyn Monroe. LOLZ!

My coffee only got so far as the parking lot back then. I wish I had brought it in like you. Maybe if I have to go to a church family event in the future I will pull an Exmo Aspie. ;)

Rebels unite!!!

Posted by: minnieme ( )
Date: June 07, 2016 06:25AM

Ya'all are awesome. I'm just so proud of you both.

Posted by: blakballoon ( )
Date: June 07, 2016 06:29AM

Yeah, going to priesthood! That's awesome. I didn't have the balls for that...

Posted by: pettigrew ( )
Date: June 07, 2016 06:51AM

Why?

Why did you go?

Posted by: too early to log in ( )
Date: June 07, 2016 10:28AM

I believe your story, except for the part where you found a *good* Danish at a Shell station.

Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: June 07, 2016 03:24PM

LOL, I was gonna call BS on the same thing! No way you got a good danish at a gas station! Just kidding. ;)

Great show! I'd love to see you in action.

Posted by: demoneca ( )
Date: June 07, 2016 12:13PM

A guy in one of my Sunday school classes would often go to the fast food restaurant across from church during the lesson. He was a rule breaker, a bit of a bully, and probably jackmo or non-believer at heart. Same with a girl in my class who wore shorter skirts with leggings. They both got away with that stuff and people loved them, regardless. I thought it was stupid. Members got leeway if they were liked or because they were just making a mistake, non members who engaged in the same "sin" are just seen as tainted people who engage in tainted behavior. There's such a double standard. Maybe because it was the family ward and they were still young, so no one was too harsh with them. Still, I'm a bit surprised at the passive-aggressive treatment in YSA. I mean I'm not, but all you did was drink coffee. They blew everything out of proportion and overreacted.

Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: June 07, 2016 05:04PM

Cyber Persecution?? What's that?? Is it something that the morg made up???

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: June 07, 2016 05:42PM

Cyber Persecution is when accurate information about church history is available online. There's a vast conspiracy of science and mathematics arrayed against the church, cackling with glee each time a TBM looks at irrefutable data and says "What The Fetch?".

Well, either that or a time travelling killer robot that only hunts TBMs. Which is more plausible than the church being true.

Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: June 07, 2016 09:56PM

Like this website and boards!?? My TBM family calls this website "lies" and " full of hate".

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: June 08, 2016 09:39AM

"Truth" and "full of justifiable anger" would be a better description.

Posted by: Jessesgirl692 ( )
Date: June 08, 2016 01:24AM

That story just made my day. Reminds me of when I came into seminary with an energy drink called Bawls. it was in a blue bottle and looked kind of like alcohol i guess. Because the teacher was lecturing of the evils of alcohol and i pulled out this energy drink and he just stopped dead and everyone just stared. I didn't understand why until someone asked me what I was drinking. I said relax its an energy drink and showed them the label. I wish I had the balls to bring in my coffee to church at the time. That is awesome!

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: June 08, 2016 02:03AM

Reminds me of the time someone in school got in trouble for drinking Cheerwine. It's a soft drink in the South that has no booze in it, but the name definitely suggested a sinful beverage!

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: June 08, 2016 10:44AM

What cracks me up are the people who think we are "cyber persecuting" because we post on this site. A site specifically set up to support others who are questioning their beliefs and who are transitioning.

That would be like saying that the mormons are persecuting all other religions when they talk IN THEIR OWN MEETINGS about the truthiness of their own cult. If we go to a mormon meeting and feel bullied or persecuted, we have no one to blame but ourselves. It's their space.

If someone comes here and doesn't like what's being said and feels bullied or persecuted, it's the same thing. But nooooo. They just cannot stand the fact that we have every bit as much right to our own opinions and beliefs and every bit as much right to express them as they do. We don't go knocking on their doors and harassing them.

Posted by: Topped ( )
Date: June 08, 2016 12:44PM

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: June 08, 2016 01:20PM

If you are being forced to go to church are you wearing the official white shirt and tie uniform? I would refuse. Nothing like shorts, flip flops, Rayban shades, T-shirt with appropriate art work. If you got away with coffee why not a comfortable wardrobe? Besides, I've always been told that Mormons would never call anyone out for showing up at church w/o "Sunday Dress". Since you never voluntarily joined, but were signed-up at age Eight, you are more a hostage non-believer than an apostate member in my book. When is your birthday? I drink a cold one in your name on that day.

Date: June 08, 2016 05:45PM

July 4

Posted by: ModOne ( )
Date: June 08, 2016 01:30PM

I would suggest it could only be termed persecution if it is untrue or purposely hurtful. What is purposely hurtful about wanting to teach truth to the ignorant with the intent of freeing people from mental bondage?

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: June 08, 2016 05:56PM

If they want to know real persecution, they should try being an agnostic born into a Mormon family. The persecution is suffocating.

Posted by: somnambulist ( )
Date: June 09, 2016 06:53AM

whatever happened to your nucking futs dad?

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: June 09, 2016 06:14PM

Last I heard he's in St George with his mutual admiration society--both of them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2016 08:07PM by donbagley.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.