Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: newcomer ( )
Date: June 08, 2016 08:23PM

Quorum of 70???

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: June 08, 2016 08:29PM

Depends on your time frame.

Early 1800s first counselor in presidency, patriarch to the church, apostles, three witnesses.

Early 1900s several apostles.

Last 50 years.....no idea

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: June 08, 2016 08:40PM

The highest level of defecation happens every General Conference. The Boner.

Posted by: Barry ( )
Date: June 08, 2016 08:47PM

I was a sacrament meeting greeter :-).

Posted by: Atari ( )
Date: June 08, 2016 09:06PM

The defection of the three witnesses says it all.

Posted by: LillyW ( )
Date: June 09, 2016 05:55PM

True and one of those three (Martin Harris) was certifiable anyway.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: June 10, 2016 02:20PM

"The defection of the three witnesses says it all."

Also, 9 of the original 12 apostles left the church, as well as other FP counselors Jesse Gause and Frederick G. Williams, etc.

ALL of the Whitmers were out of the church by 1842.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 10, 2016 02:24PM

TBM: "But they never recanted their testimonies!~!~!"

Me: "Yeah, like I never ever admitted that it was me who broke that lamp..."

Posted by: ka0z ( )
Date: June 08, 2016 09:38PM

Ever - I would say William Law, who was in the 1st presidency. Technically I guess he was axed though. All that led to the Nauvoo Expositor though so it has to rank up there.

If you're talking about this millennium though? Wasn't the guy who basically got the ball rolling on the "Swedish Rescue" a few years ago a 70? or maybe he was an area authority.

Grant Palmer was pretty high up in CES.

On a side note - supposedly Amy Adams and Eliza Dushku are former/inactive mormons. They're the 2 hottest apostates and I would say both in the top 100 hottest women alive right now.

Posted by: friendlyeconomist ( )
Date: June 08, 2016 10:04PM

ka0z Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> If you're talking about this millennium though?
> Wasn't the guy who basically got the ball rolling
> on the "Swedish Rescue" a few years ago a 70? or
> maybe he was an area authority.

You mean Hans Mattsson? He was an area seventy.

Posted by: ka0z ( )
Date: June 09, 2016 10:31PM

Yes, Hans. That's who I was thinking of. Thank you.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: June 08, 2016 09:51PM

We have had some former Mission Presidents On RFM.

And some who received their Second Anointing.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: June 08, 2016 10:16PM

Hans Mattsson?

Former LDS Area Authority Seventy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2016 10:17PM by angela.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: June 08, 2016 11:40PM

I would like to see one of the Q15 show up here. They could use a handle like "anon_GA", or "bigears_speaks_forgod", and tell us how badly they hate their double life at the top of the pyramid, while they ask for advice on how to get out with their reputation in-tact. No one would even question who or believe who they really are. Institutionalized madness in action....

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: June 09, 2016 02:49AM

George P. Lee was in the First Quorum of Seventy from 1975 to
1989 when he was excommunicated after writing a letter calling
the FP and 12 to repentance for scaling back their "Lamanite"
theology. Later it was found that he'd molested a 12-year old
girl.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2016 02:52AM by baura.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: June 09, 2016 08:25AM

John C. Bennett was a counselor in the first presidency, first Mayor of Nauvoo and Commander of the Nauvoo Legion. TSCC claims he was x-ed but that exing was back-dated!

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: June 09, 2016 11:08AM

John Huntsmans granddaughter, pretty girl with the dark hair said she just didn't buy into it anymore, resigned, and has married a non mo. (unthinkable!)

Joseph smith supposedly was backing up from being tbm when he told the stake president of Nauvoo that polygamy was all of the devil. And he'd been deceived. He later tried to run away in a small boat across the Mississippi but was unsuccessful (M. Hierarchy origins of power)

John Morris (the 12), early settler of Uinta/South Weber didn't like B.Y. autocratic rule/violence and started meeting and gathering followers creating a new branch of mormondom. B.Y. didn't like that and some of them got blood atoned for it.

Mathias Cowley and John Taylor Jr. of the 12 were disciplined for going against Senator Smoot and taking on post manifesto plural wives.

Frank Cannon son of 1st presidency, leading diplomat for statehood, and director/Editor for the standard examiner, leading voice for the liberal party (democrat party forerunner) was excommunicated in the 2nd stake of Zion, and parted ways with the bretheren.

Posted by: anonlurkeranon ( )
Date: June 09, 2016 01:26PM

That was confusing trying to search for John Morris on google. I think you mean Joseph Morris.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: June 09, 2016 02:09PM

I wonder if a GA has ever been on a site like this just to see what's being said by the ex's. It seems like they'd be a bit curious, or maybe a bit jealous. We have something they will never have. Freedom from mormonism.

Posted by: NOLDS4ME ( )
Date: June 10, 2016 10:25PM

It's possible, but not likely. In the 90s I worked for a major religious denomination and I was the person who monitored the "anti" boards for the church. Not much was done with the information and the highest ups didn't look at it at all.

Posted by: edzachery ( )
Date: June 09, 2016 02:33PM

I would give good money to see the internet history files for the 15. (Despite the 'fact' that the Internet is full of 'unreliable sources' of information). :) The odds would have to be good that at least one of them has accessed RfM and likely trolls it on a regular basis.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: June 11, 2016 10:56AM

LeGrande Young (he was bishop of our ward) told us that a Prophet whom his dad hometaught, actually avoided reading anti-church material by actually stapling together the pages of the Song of Solomon so that he would not accidentally read it. If someone of that level would avoid reading a book of the Bible, I am sure the 15 would be mortified to read even the essays.

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: June 09, 2016 07:55PM

Gordon Bittner Hinckley, apostle and president for 48 years.

He established a personality cult within the church and denied basic Mormon doctrines while intending to receive praise from the secular media. He also diverted tithing funds to enable the multiple crimes, including murder, committed by a secret apostate.

His name shall live in infamy throughout the eternities.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 09, 2016 08:02PM

Historischer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gordon Bittner Hinckley, apostle and president for
> 48 years.
>
> He established a personality cult within the
> church and denied basic Mormon doctrines while
> intending to receive praise from the secular
> media. He also diverted tithing funds to enable
> the multiple crimes, including murder, committed
> by a secret apostate.
>
> His name shall live in infamy throughout the
> eternities.

are you referring to Mark Hofmann?

Date: June 09, 2016 08:06PM

Yes indeed.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: June 09, 2016 08:34PM

Nobody knows who Mark was trying to blow up at the COB, Hugh Pinnock?, could have been Hinckley himself.

I think Hinkley was an arrogant ass, but I know a few of his close relatives, fairly decent and exmo folks.

Date: June 09, 2016 10:08PM

Good point, and I think Hinckley's problem was more individual than familial. Others from the same exalted heritage turned out to be normal folks? That's actually quite reassuring. I think Gordon's grandfather and uncles would have been more shocked than anyone at his behavior. And I can almost guarantee that at least one of his grandchildren has no "testimony" whatsoever. After all, it's already happened in the Kimball and Benson clans.

As far as murder is concerned, I don't think Hinckley wanted anyone killed. But his highly irregular use of church funds did put a secret apostate on the road to murder. Either moral scruples or spiritual discernment--or preferably both--would have saved the victims from an ugly death. But having purged the higher church management for several years, Hinckley operated without any accountability whatsoever.

Given his contempt for church doctrines and organization, and the uniquely selfish type of reverse consecration he practiced throughout his life, I'd say that no man has ever excommunicated himself more thoroughly from the LDS church than Gordon Bittner Hinckley. Which would be fine, as he obviously didn't believe, but he often pretended otherwise.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: June 10, 2016 08:57PM

I was a "facilities coordinator." I went to the stake center each night to insure that it was all locked up.

Date: June 11, 2016 10:16AM

"I was a "facilities coordinator." I went to the stake center each night to insure that it was all locked up."

So, you held the proper priesthood keys, then? :-)

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: June 10, 2016 10:46PM

brb ~ Googling ~

seems like there was a Temple President in Oklahoma that joined we apostates ~

in b 4 ~

Posted by: very anon ( )
Date: June 10, 2016 11:40PM

Maybe women don't count for much in the mormon church, But I am the wife of a former mission president, and I am convinced it is a fraud.

Posted by: antilehinephi ( )
Date: June 11, 2016 12:41AM

Wow. Tell us more very anon.

Date: June 11, 2016 08:29AM

My testimony has been unraveling for about a year and a half. I began lurking here last November, posting every now and then. The essays were what started it all. I was 100% TBM my whole life. I finally realized it was all a fraud several months ago. My husband knows and is very unhappy about it. I don't expect him to ever "defect." He always hopes that something will trigger the spirit back for me.

We served a mission in a foreign country more than a decade ago and it was a fantastic experience. I loved the missionaries with all my heart. I could never be tough or uncaring about them. I tried to spoil them when I could. I still love them.

I look forward to someday being completely open about disbelief, but I think it will take a long time. I'm taking it slow.

I appreciate this board so much, where we can be open yet anonymous. It has kept me sane, and helped me when I had no one to talk to. Thank you so much.

Posted by: not logged in yet ( )
Date: June 11, 2016 09:00AM

Best of luck to you in your journey out.

Are you in a position to tell us if you and your husband have had the second anointing?

There's continuining discussion here as to what levels are likely to have received it (stake presidents, temple presidents, mission presidents and their wives).

Date: June 11, 2016 10:36AM

Considering the number of current and former mission presidents and their wives in the church, it's not surprising in the internet age that some of them no longer believe. There's at least one former MP who has posted on this BB for years as SLDrone. Also, a former president of the OKC temple has left the church.

Some people tend to think of "upper-echelon" Mormons as being stronger in the faith or more spiritual, and thus less susceptible to abandoning the church. The truth is, there's no difference whatsoever between high-ranking members and regular folks as far as the truth claims are concerned. The differences would be more along the lines of the level of societal pressure that high-ranking members receive from family and church friends to stay the course.

It's nice to hear that the essays are what got things started for you. You recognized that what's written in the essays is a far cry from what we were taught by the church in previous times. Any rational, intelligent person should deduce that two conflicting versions of church history and doctrine cannot be true, and that the church has published those essays in part to correct the falsehoods which the church itself has dispensed in the past. For instance, the mere fact that the essays admit that the priesthood ban was totally wrong and based solely on racist ideas of past church leaders should make every rational, intelligent Mormon realize that those past prophets held no communication with any Supreme Being. And that alone destroys the church's claims that it's led by a "living prophet."

Date: June 11, 2016 11:06AM

Thanks, randyj, for your kind words. You are right, I am no different from anyone else. I was duped just like most of us were. I may just be more visible and will be criticized openly. But aren't we all?

Date: June 11, 2016 09:21AM

No, no second anointing. I had never even heard of it until I read Tom Phillips story (did I get his name right?). I had heard whispers of calling and election made sure when I was a youth, but never knew that there was a ceremony for it. I am sure some mission presidents and their wives receive it, but not us.

Date: June 11, 2016 09:24AM

What first started making you question things?

Date: June 11, 2016 10:46AM

I had several things on my shelf, that I was sure I would get a good explanation about someday. Racism, polygamy, temple weirdness, and I always hated righteous anger and judgement. I just didn't think about those things.

Then I read the essays, and found out things about Joseph Smith that I never knew. There is no good excuse nor explaining away his bad behavior. Racism essay was bad, disavowing previous prophets? But they said it was from God? That led me to read more and more. Gay marriage rights was big for me. I was so upset when the policy about children of gay parents came out. I found Mormon Think. Wow, they know how to present the truth, all verified.

But I couldn't deny my testimony. Until I saw a you tube video showing people from various religions, bearing testimony just like we do. That's when I realized that good feelings don't necessarily equate truth. And I began to accept that I had been duped. I also saw (I think on here?) a list of characteristics of a cult. We fit the whole list, but maybe on a lesser scale than Moonies or scientology.

So, thank you essays, thank you Mormon Think, and thanks to all of you here on RfM, my eyes have been opened.

Date: June 11, 2016 11:23AM

It's good reading statements like yours. Sometime people actually do seek the truth.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.