Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: June 09, 2016 04:42AM

It's all those non-Mormons who are moving into the State

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: June 09, 2016 08:18AM

Have to be crazy to move to Utah if you aren't Mormon. ;-)

Posted by: Exiled ( )
Date: June 09, 2016 08:47AM

The biggest mormon mental disorder is probably cognitive dissonance.

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: June 09, 2016 03:46PM

Absolutely and it is serious. The mental anguish that comes from saying one thing and believing something completely different is certainly cause to self-medicate.

Posted by: Elder What's-his-face ( )
Date: June 09, 2016 08:49AM

HAL 9000 became mentally ill because he was forced to live a lie despite his unwavering commitment to honesty and accuracy. Just as a good person sees the emblems on their garments, he would have been constantly reminded of exactness and honor, and an undeviating course all while being forced to lie to protect the secrets of his masters.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: June 09, 2016 09:19AM

You'd think in a state where most people have The Gift of the Holy Ghost (™), and blessed olive oil and Priesthood Blessings are a dime a dozen, Utah would be a picture of contentment and stability.

Not so much. Good thing they've had so much practice at denying evidence!

Posted by: The Ohio State ( )
Date: June 09, 2016 09:40AM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You'd think in a state where most people have The
> Gift of the Holy Ghost (™), and blessed olive
> oil and Priesthood Blessings are a dime a dozen,
> Utah would be a picture of contentment and
> stability.
>
> Not so much. Good thing they've had so much
> practice at denying evidence!

If I had a dime for ever TBM that I have known that has tried to treat mental illness with fasting, prayer, and olive oil. One ward had a culture that accused those with mental illness of sin. "Despair comes because of iniquity" was trotted out on a regular basis.

I have had a collection of bishops, HPGLs, EQPs, etc that have used every religious, and some non-religious, forms of voodoo/magic/horse$#!t known to humankind in there position as "counselors." Several suicides and others with years of needlessly suffering with untreated or improperly treated maladies.

Things improved for a few years but with the mass exodus of the educated and critical thinkers, the situation has taken a turn for the worse over the last 10 years. It has always been a good idea to run fast and hard away from Mormonism but it seems to be more imperative with every passing day.

Posted by: Agnes Broomhead ( )
Date: June 09, 2016 11:33AM

Sister Kirchhoeffer will be surprised to hear this.

http://justjennak10.blogspot.com/2015/08/a-week-in-wisconsin.html

(Although she's apparently from Colorado)

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: June 09, 2016 01:17PM

What better evidence of the church causing mental illness can there be? HOw sad.

Posted by: sunlyn22 ( )
Date: June 09, 2016 01:38PM

I was diagnosed with depression while I was active, I'd have periods of time where I had to take medication until I felt like I could get out of bed again.
I haven't had a single occurrence of depression since I left the church.

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: June 10, 2016 02:38PM

Same here-- no more depression since leaving the church... or, perhaps it was when I discovered beer which was around the same time. ;)

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: June 09, 2016 02:05PM

Just driving through the state made me feel a little crazy. I can't imagine living there.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: June 09, 2016 02:06PM

Makes perfect sense to me.

In order to be a good mormon, you have to check your brain at the door.

Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: June 09, 2016 02:11PM

I read that it has some of the lowest teen suicide rates, too.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: June 09, 2016 02:28PM

You don't have to live in Utah to be crazy but it helps.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: June 09, 2016 02:40PM

Utah Mormons are likely to use anti-depressants etc. rather than a glass of wine at night, for instance, or self-medicate with alcohol. The illegal drug use is high also. Reading the chart, it's hart to know how the criteria was calculated. The categories are very general. I'd be interested in a break down in area -- which areas are high LDS population and which are not.

I read this: "As of 2007, 60.7% of Utahns are counted as members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, although only 41.6% of them are active members. Mormons now make up about 34%–41% of Salt Lake City, while rural areas tend to be overwhelmingly Mormon."

I would guess that those stats have changed by 2015 with the number of members leaving the LDS Church having increased greatly.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: June 09, 2016 02:52PM

There was also something recently published that said that Utah had the highest rate of prescription drug addiction, often in the form of painkillers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2016 02:52PM by adoylelb.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: June 09, 2016 02:57PM

Yeah, it would be interesting to know what they are basing it on. If it's only the number of persons who seek mental health treatment, a lot of that is just mormon women with depression-anxiety-coping problems. And it doesn't have to be just those who are active, or even those who are still members. But a good deal of that is directly related to mormonism.

I will speak for myself when I say there are plenty of we exmos who have had to seek mental health treatment for these reasons simply because of having been raised in that system. By the time we realize we were scammed, we may be in bad marriages because we didn't take the time to figure out what we were getting into and whether we had anything in common outside cult membership. Or we have too many kids, financial problems from having kids way too young, not to mention all the stress and depression that goes along with it. I depended on Lexapro for a long time after I was exmo. I finally graduated to a the kick your shoes off and have a nice glass of wine after work method. Amazing what mental health benefits that has.

Posted by: PtLoma ( )
Date: June 09, 2016 10:59PM

I think having to wear a white nurse's dress and white support stockings over ankle length garments for one's temple sealing would place a person at high risk for depression. ;)

Posted by: weeder ( )
Date: June 09, 2016 02:56PM

Strangely I was once talking to my former best friend (he was a convert and I converted him) and had a moment of discovery of diametric views during that discussion.

He is a very well known Psychiatrist in Utah, and I was talking with him about my abhorrence for anti-depressants and they way they are dished out these days like a candy cure-all.

Well, he was of course, very aware that Utah was a major consumer of this product and even that Utah County tops the list of consumers in Utah (i.e. MORMONS have this problem and bad).

He was happy that such pills were available and thought they were underprescribed. Yikes!! Somehow I think the size of his mansion and sending his daughter to one of the premier colleges in the country ways heavy on his opinion of this wonder drug(s).

Not only is he dyed in the wool TBM but his whole philosophy of life is so skewed that we can't really even relate -- needless to say we've hardly talked to each other in 10 years and I don't think I'm missing very much with that separation.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: June 09, 2016 06:10PM

The Mormons believe themselves the sane ones in a mad world, which is a sure sign.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: June 09, 2016 06:21PM

....and, more than a few see visions.

Posted by: abcdomg ( )
Date: June 10, 2016 12:08AM

The mentally ill can be extremely vulnerable; the church exploits their vulnerability whenever possible.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: June 10, 2016 12:17AM

One might conclude that Mormonism exacerbates mental illness. Not so fast; after all, I'm a Mormon and I'm perfectly OH NO NOT THE BLUE SPIDERS!! HERE THEY COME!! sane. Oh, sure, I get a little down in the dumps sometimes, and I've been known to wake up on the wrong side I HATE THE BLUE SPIDERS!! THOUSANDS OF THEM CRAWLING DOWN THE WALLS RIGHT TOWARD ME!! of the bed. But crazy? I think HEEEELLLLLLPPP!!!! not.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: June 10, 2016 02:17PM

"About 22.4 percent of the adult population in Utah experienced a mental disorder in the past year, according to recently released statistics."

By an astonishing coincidence, 22.4 percent of adult Utahns are also tithe-paying, temple-attending Mormons. :-)

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: June 10, 2016 06:40PM

I'd offer up another possible correlation (and possibly cause):

Too much inbreeding from the polygamy days.

I'm entirely serious...

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: June 10, 2016 07:43PM

I've never felt more mentally together now that I have become religion-free.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: June 11, 2016 11:13AM

...is that the church has bragged for decades about the superior health status of Utahns vs. other states in the areas of heart disease, lung cancer, longevity, etc., as evidence that the Word of Wisdom is behind it.

The fact is, mental illnesses can be just as debilitating as physical illnesses, and there must be certain reasons why Utah leads the nation. The most obvious reason being Mormon culture, with its constant pressures to perform, exceed, and "be therefore perfect."

I'll repeat an old experience of mine for newbies: In my former ward, several of the "leading ladies" were on anti-depressants, usually Prozac. I'm talking about the RS presidency, stake YW president, and other leaders. Prozac use was so prevalent that one of the women joked about going home from church meetings so she could take her "vitamin P."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.