Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: June 10, 2016 09:48AM

I mean, he had an interview with God and Jesus and they both knew Lucifer was hiding in their shadows waiting to kill Joe and "The Work" going forth with him. So why the body guards?

The best explanation I have is Joe was a lying criminal conman with lots of celebrity appeal and many enemies.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: somnambulist ( )
Date: June 10, 2016 09:59AM

Monson has a whole goon squad and is chauffeured around in a factory armored Audi. how can he possibly need it.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: June 10, 2016 11:00AM

Only his brown nosing followers even give hoot about him. His pretend danger is just an ego boost.

Date: June 10, 2016 11:26AM

Sure there isn't a gay agenda terrorist wanting to kill him while screaming, "F**K God"???

Date: June 10, 2016 11:45AM

We're too busy having dinner parties with our new spouses.

Posted by: minnieme ( )
Date: June 10, 2016 02:43PM

:) awesome.

Posted by: Okwicherbichin ( )
Date: June 10, 2016 09:23PM

At least he has good taste in cars...

Date: June 11, 2016 01:06PM

Why not American? It is the promised land chariots that matter.

Posted by: funeral taters ( )
Date: June 10, 2016 10:27AM

I heard some tall tale that Joe Smith blessed Porter Rockwell that as long as he kept his long hair and beard that he would be protected by gob. I heard one story that after one gunfight he brushed his hand against his buffalo robe and scores of lead balls fell harmlessly to the ground. So, yeah, you would think God could just do something simple for the prophets like this instead of them having to rely on armored cars and such.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: June 10, 2016 03:14PM

Yeah, they should drive a REGULAR car with a buffalo hide jacket stretched over it.

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: June 10, 2016 11:24AM

His spirit guard was eternally nonexistent so the devil recommended, an option he quickly adopted, a buddy guard while on earth... to protect him from his old buddies he fleeces, flaunts and flatters through trickery, slight of hand and outright blasphemy!

Besides protection from society at large (out to get even with him), it was his ears-eyes, his goon squad, his [little prick] big stick!

His extortion tools and practices increased manifold with his multi-man image. He was all about his EGO (something Mormonism neglects to remember or mention), BRANDING and POWER! Hence the BeeGees/ BigBoys/ slaves to his evil power/ right hand men. These were his amplifiers, waiters, typewriters, chauffeurs, money-handlers, doers of things it wouldn't be proper to see a profit doing.

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: June 10, 2016 11:48AM

I don't understand why present day presidents of the church need one??

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: June 10, 2016 11:49AM

Because the policies and agenda of the leadership have caused many a lot of harm. When you hurt people as deeply as they do they should be afraid of retribution.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: June 10, 2016 03:16PM

I wonder if there could be money issues too. For example someone whose business couldn't compete with an LDS church supported business.

Date: June 10, 2016 12:47PM

How can he be more important than the Pope or the President if he doesn't even have the right "wheels" and entourage?

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: June 11, 2016 11:39PM

cinda Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't understand why present day presidents of
> the church need one??

Too bad John Lennon didn't have one.

A week ago Christina Grimmie of "The Voice" was shot and killed
by a gunman in Florida after a concert.

Having a high profile makes you a target for nuts. I'm sure
there are all kinds of polyg-fundies out there who get
revelations from God . . . maybe one of them would be that they
are the "One Mighty and Strong" who needs to set the Church in
order by killing the president.

When your "most perfect book on Earth" begins with someone
chopping someone else's head off to guard against "unbelief" you
have to worry. You have to worry bigtime.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2016 11:39PM by baura.

Date: June 12, 2016 11:52AM

baura Wrote:
> When your "most perfect book on Earth" begins with
> someone
> chopping someone else's head off to guard against
> "unbelief" you
> have to worry. You have to worry bigtime.

Oh, so true. I didn't think of those repercussions. This is like protect the holy book above all else especially people.

Posted by: Okwicherbichin ( )
Date: June 10, 2016 09:23PM

Tommy spoke at my university graduation. The whole time I couldn't stop thinking how much he reminds me of the creepy preacher from Poltergeist! That second pic just confirmed it. The guy SERIOUSLY creeps me out!!

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: June 10, 2016 12:59PM

Well my g-g-grandfather is on record as'bodyguard to the prophets'.

According to family history, he fulfilled the duties of his office one dark night in Nauvoo by blood atoning one of a pair of alleged assassins while standing watch under the prophet's window. Who knows what really happened but there were plenty of people who wanted to kill Horny Joe.

In the end there just weren't enough idiots like my grandfather willing to save HJ's sorry hide at Carthage. God bless Johnathan Dunham for that.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: June 10, 2016 03:23PM

I recently learned there are (at least) two bodyguards who were my great grandfathers (times 3.) One was with Joseph and Hyrum at Carthage and saved their uncle, John Smith from being assassinated.

The other was a pony courier who relayed messages for Joe, and was in stake presidency with one of his brothers in Missouri for a time. These were brave men willing to guard him I believe because they perceived him to be a man of God, not a charlatan.

They sacrificed everything they had (except their wives,) to follow him. The one at Carthage outlived several of his wives. He wasn't a polygamist until after moving to Utah. There, one of his plural wives (out of two total,) divorced him. He said she went crazy on him.

I wonder whether it was all the babies she kept popping out, in addition to one of her sisters who was also his plural wife? She just got tired of making whoopie without the commitment from a bigamist is what I believe may have happened. She moved home to be with her mother.

He was sent somewhere else to help grow the church.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2016 03:23PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: June 10, 2016 04:54PM

This may be the incident where my ggggrandfather rescued one John Smith, from the mobs at Carthage. John went to visit his nephew while in prison. 24 hours later Joseph and Hyrum were dead. By then, Joseph and Hyrum were too far gone to be saved. Even Smith's bodyguards understood this. :/

"It took considerable courage for John Smith, uncle of the Prophet and assistant counselor in the First Presidency, to enter the village of Carthage, which was filled with many blood-thirsty enemies of the Church on 26 June 1844. More than once his life was threatened and several guns were “snapped” (triggers pulled without firing) at him. Arriving at the jail where Joseph and Hyrum were imprisoned, he was rudely refused permission to see his nephews. When the Prophet saw this aging gentleman through the window, he said to the guard, “You will not hinder so old and infirm a man as he is from coming in.”[1] After being thoroughly searched, “Uncle John Smith” was permitted to spend a few minutes with the prisoners. Twenty-four hours later his two nephews were brutally murdered."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2016 04:55PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: June 10, 2016 02:40PM

Hey!! If you were indiscriminately raping teenagers you would need a bodyguard also!

Posted by: Topped ( )
Date: June 10, 2016 02:49PM

I too have an ancestor who was also a bodyguard to him too. He's on my mom's side of the family.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: June 10, 2016 05:44PM

If I had screwed (or propositioned) as many other men's wives and daughters as Joseph, I wouldn't go out without a bodyguard either.

As for the current "prophet", if his God won't protect his prophet from bullets then he believes in a useless God. Or doesn't believe at all. Either way, TSCC might as well close up shop.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: June 10, 2016 07:53PM

Well, let's see. Joe and his brother weren't wearing their garments when shot so they deserved what they got. Their garmies were the true body guards and they threw them aside and went against things God taught them in the Holy Temple. No human body guards were going to protect them from the righteous retribution of the Lord for their doubt and disobedience. How's that sound?

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: June 10, 2016 08:33PM

Your tithing dollars at work.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: June 10, 2016 08:37PM

Child molesters always require special protection...

Posted by: elderpopejoy ( )
Date: June 10, 2016 09:15PM

The Secret Service-type guys hired to protect Elite Mormon Leaders must suffer through endless shifts of deadly dull these days.

The lads likely laze in their shiny Crown Vics and dream of old-time Illinois.

Where is Son of Hoffman to get them off their asses?

Posted by: Demiurgo ( )
Date: June 11, 2016 09:10PM

Everyone needs a bodyguard!

Date: June 12, 2016 11:53AM

I make do without one. Confusing need and want much?

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: June 12, 2016 01:06AM

If you are a lying, cheating, con man, profit [the EVIL CULT has had 16 of these bastards so far] you certainly need a body guard. Serious criminals need this kind of protection. Most [if not all] of the mafia have body guards!
I agree 100% with Anagrammy!

"His pretend danger is just an ego boost." I sincerely hope not. I hope it is really needed for honest reasons why folks need body guards.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2016 01:10AM by verilyverily.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: June 13, 2016 12:23AM

Because he had no spirit! The "bodyguard" was also his 'councillor', lone-teacher, eyes & ears, deacon, relief-society precedent, hit-man, pr-agent all trapped into one.

It was his tax (tithing) collector too. His beard. His 'double'. His muse. His driver. His dirty worker. His slave. His protection and (tennis) racket and partner.

Date: June 13, 2016 12:43PM

And sex slave?

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: June 13, 2016 12:54PM

Elder Berry Wrote:
> And sex slave?

Good catch. I guess you mean besides his ordained wives (forced?) concubines and his right hand (man)?

He thought he was important but it sounds more like impotant (most who knew him actually knew he couldn't spell). He wanted/ needed a bodyguard to protect him from his lies, plundering, con-schemes, other husbands, caring fathers, investigators, etc., AND it was paid for by extortions, blackmails, illegal banks and land grabs.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.