Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: June 11, 2016 08:43PM

This has been bugging me ever since the rule on children of gay parents was discovered last November. The rule about gays and their children being apostates did not just happen. One or more of the apostals had to convince the others to go along with it. It takes months for new manuals to be approved and printed also.

Which GA(s) was/were the driving force to create such an unchrist like rule? It makes no sense except to whichever bigot was pushing it. I kinda think it must have happened during the California prop 8 time frame.

Do you know the answer?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jojo ( )
Date: June 11, 2016 09:16PM

I just sort of assumed they were treating the situation as they do children of parents who decide to practice polygamy. In both cases the parents would be considered apostates.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: June 11, 2016 09:17PM

All of them. It's a job requirement.

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: June 11, 2016 09:55PM

A better question would be: which one likes gays?

Posted by: The Invisible Green Potato ( )
Date: June 12, 2016 07:33AM

I think Oaks is behind it. There is a document that was written by Oaks in 1984 which has made its way onto the Internet. It outlined the strategy that TSCC has basically followed in opposing gay rights. If you google "lds oaks so called statutory rape" you should be able to find the document.

Posted by: minnieme ( )
Date: June 12, 2016 08:56AM

Oaks is seriously ignorant. I can't believe anybody reads anything that he's said and doesn't think so.

I also think he's closeted, after reading the remark about it taking only one generation of gay marriage to extinguish the countries population.

He must be doing some serious lusting after those young missionaries.

Posted by: Boggles ( )
Date: June 12, 2016 05:46PM

...ahh the old adage, " me thinks he doth protest too much". Oaks is gay.
...not that there's anything wrong with that...

Posted by: minnieme ( )
Date: June 12, 2016 06:11PM

No, it's actually really sad because he has forced himself into an inauthentic life and wants the same unhappiness that he had for everyone else in his situation.

I pity him.

Posted by: anon101 ( )
Date: June 21, 2016 06:31AM

Oaks is for sure involved in pushing this forward. He is awful and yet somehow has a whole town that practically worships him above all of the other leaders.

Posted by: a nonny mouse ( )
Date: June 21, 2016 10:49AM

"Oaks is seriously ignorant. I can't believe anybody reads anything that he's said and doesn't think so.

I also think he's closeted, after reading the remark about it taking only one generation of gay marriage to extinguish the countries population."

Us gay folks know how babies are made, for one thing. We still manage to parent by borrowing semen or a uterus from a donor or raising the children of unfit straight people.

And it should be transparently obvious that anyone who thinks that if gay marriage is allowed, everyone will be gay - is just dying to express their homosexuality if massive societal disapproval is the only thing keeping them from doing do. As for the straight people, they'll keep pairing off with the opposite sex.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: June 12, 2016 10:00AM

Which one doesn't?

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: June 12, 2016 10:14AM

Not sure whos idea it was to create Evergreen or the convulsion therapy.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: June 12, 2016 11:17AM

Oaks because he was President of BYU during the seventies when the Electroshock Aversion therapy, now considered reprehensible, was in full swing. Also, under his presidency, you could take a class and get credits to help with the entrapment of the gay men. The class was called The Justice Administration 299R course. Class credit for undercover work to get the gays.

So, now that the world sees gays as just another flavor of human being and thinks it is no big deal, the HolyGhost inspired Oaks is left with he legacy that he blindly inspired bigotry, hatred, and emotional and physical carnage. To accept gays now is to admit he was wrong, and take responsibility for what he did, and he simply cannot do that. An apostolic ego is massive but his trumps them all.

Bednar is in on it. He wants to be the next Oaks. He sees himself as the rising champion by getting the gays out of the church all together--thus his ridiculous speech, "there are no homosexuals in the Mormon church." He is smart enough to know that he needed a bigger platform than just earrings or shoulders in order to stand out.

Nelson. Because he and his wife are just plain mean and arrogant, an even worse combination than the regular Mormons who are just ignorant and arrogant.

Posted by: Shinehahbeam ( )
Date: June 12, 2016 11:28AM

The new rule was put in place 8 years after prop 8. I think this was driven more by recent events. It might have something to do with some of them finally realizing that they have blood on their hands due to their past teachings/actions...maybe Christofferson since he has a gay brother and he's the one that was called on to defend the policy change. They're not going to back down, so maybe they're trying to actively drive gay members from the "church" now. They obviously didn't think it through. Of course, some of them probably feel no guilt and place all the blame on their imaginary God.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: June 12, 2016 11:38AM

but the article I read said it was Russell Nelson who came up with the policy, that Todd Christopherson was very uncomfortable (is it Todd?) with the fact he had to do the TV statement.

Obviously from what we've heard from Bednar, he is behind it, too. I haven't read anything from Oaks, but I don't read much mormon stuff. I try to avoid it.

But what I read said that it came directly from Nelson.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2016 11:39AM by cl2.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: June 12, 2016 04:49PM

cl2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> but the article I read said it was Russell Nelson
> who came up with the policy, that Todd
> Christopherson was very uncomfortable (is it
> Todd?) with the fact he had to do the TV
> statement.
>
> Obviously from what we've heard from Bednar, he is
> behind it, too. I haven't read anything from Oaks,
> but I don't read much mormon stuff. I try to avoid
> it.
>
> But what I read said that it came directly from
> Nelson.

It's D.Todd. Don't forget that all important single initial.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: June 12, 2016 12:41PM

By participating in the direction of the church, each and every one of the so-called "leaders" is complicit in the violence that afflicts gay people.

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem."

-- Eldridge Cleaver

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: June 12, 2016 02:33PM

getbusylivin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> By participating in the direction of the church,
> each and every one of the so-called "leaders" is
> complicit in the violence that afflicts gay
> people.
>
> "If you're not part of the solution, you're part
> of the problem."
>
> -- Eldridge Cleaver

And Eldridge Cleaver, ironically, was a Mormon.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: June 12, 2016 02:48PM

All of them/

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: June 12, 2016 06:28PM

blueorchid,

"The class was called The Justice Administration 299R course. Class credit for undercover work to get the gays."

Could you explain more about how this class worked? I'm interested. Thank you :)

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: June 20, 2016 10:31AM

Hi cinda--sorry to not get back to you--been out of town.

The following is from a lecture Connell O'Donovan gave on April 28, 1997 at UC Santa Cruz on the history of homosexuality at Brigham Young University (BYU).

The entire speech is shocking and informative, but this bit really hit me hard:

"Another tactic taken by BYU administration was the creation of extensive student spy networks. The BYU Honor Code of the 60s and early 70s mandated that students report any infractions of the Honor Code to the Standards Office, even if anonymously. This allowed the Standards Office and BYU Campus Security to engage in practices that were anything but honorable, in order to maintain the honor code. Campus security visited Gay bars in Salt Lake City, noting car license plate numbers with BYU parking stickers and turning that information over to the Standards Office. Decoys were used to entrap male students in bathrooms. Students could even gain credit for posing as Gay decoys by signing up for the Justice Administration 299R course. In 1973, for example, two Gay BYU students were caught and threatened with expulsion from the school. However, they were then informed that they could remain at BYU if they would "work for [BYU] security as spies" to entrap other Gays attending BYU. They decided to do this. A man named David, who knew these two students, reported to a newspaper that BYU "Security was obnoxious and knew how to push people into things they didn't want to do". Apparently, several other Gays who had been coerced into spying for security became "fed up" with the situation and went to TV stations in Salt Lake City with their stories. With such negative publicity focused on BYU, the Security Office became less aggressive in their tactics for awhile. [12]

12 "Homosexuality at BYU", Huffaker, Seventh East Press, April 1982.

This was the BYU I knew when I was there in the early seventies. Lots of gay RMs suddenly finding themselves in the middle of some pretty horrific circumstances that they weren't prepared for. There is a novel that centers on that period and the "witch hunts" on Amazon called "Free Electricity" if anyone is interested in the depth of despair although it is quite funny too.

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: June 21, 2016 08:11AM

The true church of the living God - Mormonism (LDS InC) sure has practiced and approved of some pretty evil, cruel attacks on people. Especially women and gays. Perhaps LDS InC should have the title of The True Church of Evil & Hell.

What a sick and disgusting religion they are when their evil ways are brought out into the light.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2016 11:49AM by themaster.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.