Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: eternal1(nli) ( )
Date: June 11, 2016 08:58PM

I just read this in my FB feed. Here's a link to the guy's FB page. For those that don't have FB, here's the text:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153733550944352&set=a.417473704351.192551.755264351&type=3

"Alarming? You decide.

I received this screenshot from several police officers over the last while (a few more this week) who are nervous by their feelings stemming from this soon-to-be Salt Lake City Sergeant; He's being promoted in less than one week. Yes, this is real. Why do they send me this to post on my FB? Because they are afraid, which they should be; because you will lose your job for speaking up; and most likely if this guy knows you're Mormon and you happen to work for him.

However, if you say the kinds of things this guy says, looks like promotion time.

Like if you don't like and share if you don't want to share. An emoji face will do just fine.

I have no ill will toward this particular officer. However, the current administration of the SLCPD already knows about his post, and this persons real feelings toward members of my church, but they did nothing about it months ago. This week I found out he's being promoted and enough is enough. I'm speaking out.

I don't want to post his name, but I do call for the police department to send this person to some true diversity training (not the kind of training they teach if you identify as an orange inside of a female bunny spirit, you are now a protected class). Like actual diversity training. He should not be allowed to supervise my friends who are afraid of secretive retaliation because of their Mormon faith.

Some questions to think about-

Do you think this person should be able to have a position of authority with not only the public he pulls over during traffic/ interacts with (who is 50% Mormon here in SL) but also be a supervisor over several Mormon officers?

Do you think if a person who works for the SLCPD came out on FB and called a gay officer or a minority, an "A-Hole" and compared them to fecal matter, would they still have a job within 2.6 seconds?

Do you think the public should be alarmed? Or do you think the PD should let it slide and chalk it up to "free speech"? Do you think the administration should reconsider opening up a internal affairs case for TRUE discrimination on their newest "leader" that's about to be promoted? What are your thoughts?

Should citizens and officers be concerned?"

(Here's the text of the screen shot from the officers page)

"If you've expressed support for the Mormon church in the last couple of days I'll be deleting you. I find their rhetoric offensive, their policies bigoted and their Christianity flawed. If this offends you; good. You aren't a martyr for supporting that church, you're an asshole. I spend enough of my time cleaning up the excrement of society, I refuse to tolerate it from my "friends".

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: newcomer ( )
Date: June 11, 2016 09:08PM

I wonder if they have enough introspection to realize that they've persecuted gays and their children.

Cry my a river.

Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: June 11, 2016 09:24PM

I would guess the answer to that is a big fat NO.

From the comments, most think it is hate speech and think the officer should be fired.

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: June 11, 2016 09:23PM

Wow. I scrolled down through the comments and it seems people are outraged and calling for this guy to be fired immediately.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: June 11, 2016 10:22PM

Hoax?

Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: June 12, 2016 02:21PM

I don't think so, but then, this is the internet, so who knows. I don't think any of the commenters think it's hoax, nor do the ones sharing it.

Posted by: isthechurchtrue ( )
Date: June 12, 2016 01:11AM

All he said was that he was going to unfriend people who post support for the LDS Church. There is nothing illegal about that.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 12, 2016 01:38AM

Mormons are afraid of being persecuted in SLC? My, how times have changed.

Posted by: minnieme ( )
Date: June 12, 2016 06:28AM

Mormon's have been taught from Primary forward that they are a persecuted people.

They are mental. Especially Utah mormons. The pretzel logic they use to get to the place where they are the victims is truly delusional.

Maybe if they stopped persecuting others then they wouldn't be looked at as jerks.

It's sort of like someone from the KKK getting angry that others don't like them because they hate black people.

You can discriminate fine. As a church that's within your right but, I don't have to approve of it just because you have a right to do it.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: June 12, 2016 10:05AM

OH god, the comments are incredible. "All I can say is last days." Yes, there is no religious liberty in Utah. UNLESS you're mormon, not because you are. Idiots.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: June 12, 2016 03:15PM

Grubbygert said it best............

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1831110

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: June 12, 2016 04:12PM

1. Although not illegal, those comments would certainly bring discipline/demotion on a police officer making them in ANY city, let alone one with many Mormons. Any police officer would know that and would probably not risk his or her career just to make such an opinion statement.

2. I searched for any trace of this story in online news sources and found ZILCH.

3. Most damning--besides the "screenshot" (which would be very simple to forge), the same facebook user posted an image claimed to be of a SLC police-badge sticker (seen here):

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153726301489352&set=a.417473704351.192551.755264351&type=3&theater

An image search of that rainbow badge shows ZERO results. HOWEVER, a very similar image does show up, which is a legitimate SLC Police badge logo:

https://yt3.ggpht.com/-2HByS-54g4E/AAAAAAAAAAI/AAAAAAAAAAA/1XGEJtoLMF0/s900-c-k-no-rj-c0xffffff/photo.jpg

Doubtful story.

[Edited for content]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2016 04:15PM by lurking in.

Posted by: isthechurchtrue ( )
Date: June 12, 2016 09:14PM

This sounds like it was posted on his personal Facebook account. The man can choose who he wants to be friends with. There is nothing wrong with that. That doesnt show any prejudice in his professional life. If he says he dislikes anything in the world then he should be fired.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.