Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Out, proud and LOUD. ( )
Date: June 12, 2016 03:54PM

Orlando blood banks asked for donations for the survivors of the shootings last night. This is the response.

http://abc7.com/news/blood-donation-lines-grow-in-orlando-after-shooting/1382223/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: June 12, 2016 03:56PM

Blood banks won't stop the next lunatic.

Shutting down churches would be a good start.

Date: June 12, 2016 09:55PM

But the donated blood may actually save the lives of some of the victims.

The people in the pictures are doing something that may save lives.

Posted by: gatorman ( )
Date: June 12, 2016 04:03PM

Shutting down churches? Good bet this shooter never attended a mosque. Radicalized thru the net. Closing mosques, synagogues and Christian churches would then take away sanctuaries of comfort for victims families when this happens again. And it will.

Gatorman

Posted by: letsgetreal ( )
Date: June 12, 2016 10:41PM

Amen!

Posted by: bona dea unregistered ( )
Date: June 13, 2016 12:20AM

Plenty of churches are not homophobic

Date: June 12, 2016 04:06PM

Can we acknowledge the positive show of love and support, please?

Date: June 12, 2016 06:42PM

Since you brought it up, as it stands today-the day of the shooting- what is positive? Maybe down the road laws and attitudes will change or be enforced. But today? The only positive I can think of is that when I woke up this morning and read and watched I was so discouraged I refused to drive 40 miles to SM.

I also have stood shoulder to shoulder with the Orlando Regional trauma surgeons and nurses. Your plea to me to be supportive was out of place.

Gatorman

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 12, 2016 06:52PM

>>I also have stood shoulder to shoulder with the Orlando Regional trauma surgeons and nurses.

Gatorman, I can't even imagine. The day that they trained for (and probably thought would never happen,) DID happen. And they stepped up to the plate, did the triage, and saved the people that they could save. God bless 'em.

I'm still haunted by the photos of the NYC medical workers waiting outside of the hospitals with their gurneys during 9/11, for the horde of patients who never came. :(

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2016 06:55PM by summer.

Date: June 12, 2016 07:48PM

Are you saying that people lining up to give blood to help victims is not an important show of love and respect?

Everyone I know of that works in trauma response knows how important donated blood is and by extension how important the people that donate blood are.

I'm sorry, but hundreds of people lining up and overwhelming blood donation centers in order to help the victims is a positive show of love and support.

IF you do not believe me, try standing shoulder to shoulder with trauma staff during such an event if nobody donated blood and there was no blood for those in need.

Date: June 12, 2016 10:17PM

I will give you a 0.5 on this. Helps yes. Getting all the serology screening done takes days so blood donated today just replaced that used. Good news is that blood banks are regional and blood products in Orlando easily shipped Tampa or Miami and in revers. Victims needing heart lung bypass may benefit fresh whole blood. Most donations will be split into platelets, plasma and packed cells. Rarer types get traded around.Keep thinking. The other 0.5 positive may eventually appear.

Gatorman

Date: June 12, 2016 10:24PM

unfortunately, your discounting it as trivial is a -2.0.

Date: June 12, 2016 10:27PM

And the lines to give blood are "sanctuaries of comfort" for people affected by the tragedy, but I am guessing the only "sanctuaries of comfort" for you are religions.

Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: June 12, 2016 08:29PM

Aren't Americans more on edge because of this?

Date: June 12, 2016 08:41PM

Americans are more on edge because of the shootings. But OP to this thread is not directly about the shootings, it is about how many citizens of Orlando responded with love and support. Many Americans gain comfort in emergency situations by volunteering their time or blood to supporting those in need.

I for one, and many of my friends on Facebook stand up and applaud those giving blood.

RfM is the only place I have seen where a post about the large response to the call for blood was used as an excuse to attack religion.

Posted by: Steve Spoonemore ( )
Date: June 12, 2016 10:36PM

My understanding is that they have more blood than they can use.

Trying to give right now might make me feel good, but from what I am hearing it isn't very helpful in the immediate situation.

Date: June 12, 2016 10:43PM

Then it may help save other lives.

Wow, the people on RFM can not acknowledge this positive act, rather thy try to discount it.

Seems the best many can do here is use the tragedy to further their beliefs about religion and guns. A few people here can express their outrage, but seem unable to express appreciation for those that at least try to do something positive in response.

Guess that's why this board is "Recovery" not "recovered".

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: June 12, 2016 11:23PM

It is a good thing that people came forward to donate blood. I think though, that the horror of the situation is still so recent and so raw that people are still reeling from it and may not feel ready yet to applaud anyone.

On the other hand, I doubt the blood donors ever thought or claimed that they were fixing the overall problem. People there wanted to help in some way, and donating blood was ONE immediate way that they could. And it is certainly more practical than leaving a giant heap of flowers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2016 11:41PM by seekyr.

Date: June 12, 2016 11:36PM

I'm ready to applaud them, so are a lot of people on Facebook and other social media sights.

As I said above, this is the only place where I have seen people unwilling to support people taking actual positive actions to help the victims.

Sorry, your apologetics are hollow and fall short. In disaster after disaster, it is shown that people applaud those that rush to the aid of those in need IMMEDIATELY.

Date: June 12, 2016 11:43PM

GEEZ!

Date: June 13, 2016 12:00AM

Wow, really, that was your response?

Immediately after 9/11 the streets were lined with people actually applauding EVERYONE that came to help. 9/11 was far more horrific, so your argument that this being too horrific for people to applause those that came to help is made up excuses for the bad behavior here.

Sorry that you are annoyed that I don't buy your excuses.

Date: June 13, 2016 12:14AM

Man, I know you are upset, but chill. I know it is important to you to be LOUD, but you have acknowledged the folks who are giving blood LOUDly now. Why not think of something YOU can do?

We get it. Giving blood is great. It is important. But it has been done now. Think of some way you can help besides being LOUD.

Date: June 13, 2016 12:24AM

Wow, big FALSE assumption that I have not done anything. I have a lifetime of fighting against hate based violence. I was active in trying to prevent this sort of violence well before it happened. If I were in Orlando, I likely would have brought snacks and water to the people in line.

Nice try at trying to deflect attention away from your bad behavior.

I don't see you doing anything but trying to defend the lack of support and praise from exMORMONS.

Date: June 13, 2016 12:26AM

Thanks for confirming my current lack of respect for many in this group.

Yes, they have the right not to respond, and I have a right to be critical of their lack of response.

At least I am not telling people such hateful things as "go fuck yourself". I will leave that sort of hate to you.

Date: June 13, 2016 12:31AM

The above post was posted to the wrong place in the thread.

Date: June 13, 2016 12:19AM

Yes, that was indeed my response, because I thought you were going over the top a bit.

My apologetics were "hollow"? Actually, I thought about it quite a bit and was trying to understand different people's reactions.

Who is this about anyway? When people are feeling upset about a horrible event, MUST they stop feeling what they are feeling and become cheerleaders as well? Blood donors do not NEED us to sing their praises. The satisfaction was in the doing of it.

Date: June 13, 2016 12:28AM

As I said before, this is the only place where people did not cheer this display of support.

Others have done it, why not here?

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: June 13, 2016 12:23AM

People are entitled to feel however they want about any given situation. The fact that you need to be told and reminded of that speaks volumes about you. So instead of chastising people for not responding to a situation in the way that you think they should, I think you should just go fuck yourself, Out, Proud, and LOUD.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2016 12:26AM by midwestanon.

Date: June 13, 2016 12:30AM

Re-posted to put this in the right place

Thanks for confirming my current lack of respect for many in this group.

Yes, they have the right not to respond, and I have a right to be critical of their lack of response.

At least I am not telling people such hateful things as "go fuck yourself". I will leave that sort of hate to you.

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: June 13, 2016 12:38AM

I'll leave the vain puffery, righteous indignation, and wholesale indictment of every person on a bulletin board to you, then. Just go away.

Date: June 13, 2016 12:42AM

I'll leave the "go fuck yourself" and the "Go away" sort of hate to you, while I try to confront the dismissal of these positive effort by members of this group.

Date: June 13, 2016 12:40AM

seekyr,

This sort of "go fuck yourself" is what this is all about.

It is not about people not responding, if you read the responses, it is about INAPPROPRIATE responses including dismissing the efforts of those that answered the call for help.

If you can not see that, you do not deserve the name "seekyr"

Date: June 13, 2016 12:59AM

I have read, re-read and re-re-read every one of the above posts. I do no see anyone trying to dismiss nor criticize the efforts of those who have tried to help.

What I see and what I advocate is thanks to the first responders (including blood donors) and encouragement to move along to other helpful efforts.

It is obvious that you are agitated. Perhaps take a deep breath then all of us can consider what to do next.

Date: June 13, 2016 01:02AM

Really? Wow. You don't see how claiming that the response to the call for help was 0.5 positive as being dismissive of the effort? and I only got that after confronting a person that said there was NO positive response.

Wow, just wow.

Date: June 13, 2016 01:15AM

My apologies, the person that claimed the people showing up to give blood was only a +0.5 positive did make the claim that there was only one positive and it was his own personal response. Guess he believes that what he did was positive, what others did was not really a positive.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: June 13, 2016 01:06AM

Whatever anyone says, people don't learn to HATE GAY people at the credit union. It is at church!!!! We need to find out which ones preach hate and shut those down.

It seems not to long ago that the EVIL CULT was punishing the children of gay people.

The CULT is celebrating now since they have always hated gays. They should be so ashamed of themselves that they choose the big final way out!

Just FYI - One more pint and I will receive my 24 gallon congrats pin! I am one pint shy of donating 24 gallons of blood! I am very proud to be a blood donor. So important. The gift that money can't buy!!!

Date: June 13, 2016 01:10AM

Wow, 24 gallons! That is an awesome positive accomplishment.

I was one pint away from giving my first gallon when they stopped taking my blood because I was gay.

You are awesome, and so are the people that lined up to give blood today in Orlando.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.