Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: June 13, 2016 10:14PM

It sounds like another iteration of Cleanflix, which was a Mormon thing.

Censored movies appeal to Mormons, who live with restrictions to information all their lives. Movies targeted at adults are anathema in Utah. Too many adult themes. They prefer fantasy on the big screen--just like sacrament meeting.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 13, 2016 10:26PM

fwiw, I think ppl at home should be able to censor their own movies as long as they're not distributed to others.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: June 14, 2016 11:35AM

I agree. If they buy it for their own use and there is a way to edit it so it doesn't offend their pre-pubescent senses, more power to them. I do see it being more useful for editing questionable movies for actual pre-pubescents. I didn't like taking 12-year-olds to see Titanic, which should have been a no-brainer, only to have to see them squirm during the tit scene. If I had the movie at home for family use, I would have preferred to edit it out. My own preference, anyone that feels differently shouldn't have it edited for them.

But pre-editing movies for resale is a whole different can of worms.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: June 14, 2016 04:05AM

It sounds like a new version of Cleanflix which was a Mormon company. The problem is that the Morg forbids adult things, so the only "safe" forms of entertainment are Disney stuff, and censored movies. Yet when movie companies object, Mormons can claim "persecution" which is something they actually love to claim.

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: June 14, 2016 05:18AM

I love it. If you can't possibly handle naughty words that are included in great movies, you don't get to watch those movies.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 14, 2016 05:22AM

Is it Morg related? The company in question is located in Provo, Utah. Want to take a bet?

It looks like the main sticking point is whether or not the end user owns or rents the movie. Apparently if the customer owns the movie, it can be censored. If the customer merely rents the movie, it can't be. The Provo company tried to find a "cute" way around that law. I think the company is about to get a huge slap-down.

Posted by: Shinehahbeam ( )
Date: June 14, 2016 04:38PM

I agree. CleanFlicks was sued when I was at BYU. It was ruled that what they were doing was illegal and they were put out of business. Somebody thought they found a way around the law, but I can't see any judge ruling in their favor.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: June 14, 2016 05:17PM

" but I can't see any judge ruling in their favor."

I guess you've never lived in Utah. I can see a bunch of theocratic lower court judges ruling in their favor. Only to be overturned in the 10th court of appeals in Denver.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: June 14, 2016 08:58AM

Can I censor Mormon Channel to prevent brain damage?

Posted by: detoxxed ( )
Date: June 14, 2016 09:17AM

The suit is not about censorship, but copyright violation.

I can't buy movies, then stream them to my "customers" for free or for a buck, without permission of the copyright owner.

It may also have to do with altering the content, but this suit doesn't even have to go near that.

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: June 14, 2016 04:54PM

Detoxxed, I think you're right. When you buy or stream a movie, it's for personal viewing, and not for making money or for public viewing.

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: June 14, 2016 05:10PM

Correct. The company in question isn't making the necessary deals with the distributor for streaming rights.

They are trying to be Netflix, but censored, without making the expensive streaming rights deals with Disney, Fox, etc. This will get you in trouble.

If a person wants to edit a video on their personal computer and censor it, that's legal (as long as they don't sell the copy), what this company is doing is not legal.

My parents get around this (and have for years) with a device attached to their TV that reads the closed caption information and mutes the volume when a naughty word pops up and shows a censored version of the text. This is legal, they aren't even changing the original material and have to get it from an authorized distributor.

It's funny though, that device always breaks when we visit and fixes itself the moment we leave...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.