Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Leaving ( )
Date: June 14, 2016 01:53AM

Even though estimates are that more than 120 were killed by Mormons in the Mountain Meadows Massacre, guns AND knives were both used to kill the victims AND the LDS Church has blocked any examination of the remains. There is no way to know how many were actually shot.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: June 14, 2016 02:41AM

Someday---at sometime in the future---there will be some kind of real accounting of just how those people were killed.

Given that ancient battlefields, from Roman and Greek times and before, are still being dug up, it may take awhile (and the church may well have to wind down substantially more), but since the burial place of the victims is known, I would think it probably won't take more than a century.

The facts can't remain mysteries forever...and not even for very much more (comparatively speaking, of course).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2016 02:42AM by Tevai.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: June 14, 2016 02:53AM

It is just creepy to me that the ONLY occasion in which bodies [and other evidence] will be found supporting that Mormons were there is being ignored. The only time.

I just wanted to point out the other mass shootings took place during the Revolutionary War, Civil War and any wars taking place on American soil, but killings taking place during war time is not the same. I also don't know for sure the amount of people killed in any battle in any of those battles and too lazy right now to look it up.

But, one of us [and I will volunteer] should tell CNN about that MMM Massacre and mention that this is the second mass shooting.
As far as terror attacks goes, it might be the earliest or one of the earliest. The news organizations should know. If someone is willing to get all the facts, I will spread the word. I don't give a crap how much my family knows how much I hate the EVIL CULT.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2016 02:59AM by verilyverily.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: June 14, 2016 03:07AM

verilyverily Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I just wanted to point out the other mass
> shootings took place during the Revolutionary War,
> Civil War and any wars taking place on American
> soil, but killings taking place during war time is
> not the same. I also don't know for sure the
> amount of people killed in any battle in any of
> those battles and too lazy right now to look it
> up.

Okay...how do the various killings of Native Americans fit in?

For the most part, it was just genocide and stealing. (Though some of those actions are certainly termed "wars"---but do most of them actually meet an acceptable definition of "war"??). I am most familiar with what went on in the Southwest and in California (from Baja up through the San Francisco Bay), and I don't think those events qualify as "war"---just massacres.

I've never really considered any of this before. Does anyone have any insight as to why, or why not, the widespread massacres of Native Americans are not considered to be in somewhat the same category as Orlando?

Posted by: AFT ( )
Date: June 14, 2016 04:31AM

At Wounded Knee, 250-300 Native Americans, including women and children, were SHOT, without provocation. And THAT, too, was a hate crime.

But I can't stand it when we forget history. (i.e. "Why I left Mormonism.")

My heart breaks for the families of the Orlando victims....

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: June 14, 2016 09:38AM

Don't forget the Sand Creek Massacre. My ancestors were murdered in cold blood in that one.
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/horrific-sand-creek-massacre-will-be-forgotten-no-more-180953403/?no-ist

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: June 14, 2016 04:33AM

It's the deadliest terrorist attack since 9-11, not the deadliest mass shooting.

Posted by: Cheetah ( )
Date: June 14, 2016 04:57AM

Most venues are reporting it as the deadliest mass shooting in the US in modern history which would be correct.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: June 14, 2016 09:33AM

The MMM, the Wounded Knee massacre, etc., were done with multiple shooters. The Orlando massacre is the worst ever with just one shooter.

It's all in how you define it. For instance, when this subject was discussed in context of the MMM a few months ago on this BB, one genius opined that the Vietnam War draft was the worst incident of mass murder in US history. If you s-t-r-e-t-c-h the definition of murder to that ridiculous extreme, I suppose you could say that the WWII military draft was 1000 times more murderous than the Vietnam War draft.

Posted by: pathdocmd ( )
Date: June 14, 2016 06:39PM

The anthropologist from the UofU who examined the bones during the short time they were out of the ground wrote a book which talks about bullet holes. I haven't read it, but if anyone has please share what she says about how many were shot vs. stabbed.

House of Mourning: A Biocultural History of the Mountain Meadows Massacre 2008
by Shannon A Novak

One review from Amazon: "House of Mourning", stands alone among all other literature previously published about the tragedy of the Mountain Meadows Massacre. Shannon A. Novak, an anthropologist with impeccable credentials, allows the bones of the Arkansas victims to speak for themselves. This book makes no attempt to assign blame or identify motive for the murders but brings together information from oral interviews, primary record sources and other works on the MMM with the analysis of victims' skeletal remains. Novak's work gives a clearer picture of the victims and their lifestyle in the Arkansas Ozarks. The reader meets the interconnected families through Federal Census reports and family records and hears the victims' voices through the medium of scientific data. One can almost see their faces as they set forth for a new life in California, only to meet a horrible death in a formerly peaceful meadow in Southern Utah.

After studying this event for more than twenty-five years, it is exciting to find a work that focuses on the victims and exactly who they were.”

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.