Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: East Coast Exmo ( )
Date: June 15, 2016 02:04PM

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/15/health/coffee-tea-hot-drinks-cancer-risk/index.html

Hot drinks are a "possible" cancer risk, apparently as dangerous as talcum powder. It has nothing to do with caffeine; it's purely a temperature thing. If you drink liquids at temperatures higher than 65C (about 150F), you will have a slightly higher risk of esophageal cancer.

To be honest, 65C is enough to burn your tongue, and beverages are not normally consumed at these temperatures in the west. Also, I'm sure that there is even more risk at 100C (212F), but again, beverages are not normally consumed at these temperatures either.

But it doesn't matter because Joseph Smith was right!!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Shinehahbeam ( )
Date: June 15, 2016 02:16PM

Members in Brazil were talking about this 20 years ago as proof that Joe was a prophet. Some people sip boiling hot chimarrĂ£o all day, and they've known it can cause mouth and throat cancers for a long time.

I guess God really meant what he said when he gave Joe the word of wisdom...it wasn't coffee and tea that we need to avoid, it's boiling hot ANYTHING. Seems like common sense...

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: June 15, 2016 02:17PM

The key word here is "possible". There is a possibility that drinking too much carbonated soft drink could drown you. In my opinion the same mentality. I drink a lot of coffee and it will probably kill me. It hasn't so far. But I am only 80 years old so what do I know?

Posted by: gatorman ( )
Date: June 15, 2016 08:02PM

Finally somebody older than me! I do respect my elders (not capitalized)

Gatorman

Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: June 15, 2016 02:17PM

So hot drinks are not for the esophagus.

But the belly is ok? Is this another example of JS picking the wrong word from his rock?

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: June 15, 2016 02:25PM

East Coast Exmo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But it doesn't matter because Joseph Smith was
> right!!!!

He was about the heat of the drink but his successors weren't about the substance of the drink.

Hot Chocolate should be forbidden by their WoW.

Posted by: East Coast Exmo ( )
Date: June 15, 2016 03:43PM

Actually, early members did abstain from hot liquids in general, including "hot soups". The coffee/tea/caffeine association came later.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: June 16, 2016 02:27PM

I think that was what WoW was - temperance made doctrine.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 15, 2016 02:44PM

Yes, he was also right about polygamy, poliginy, & polyandry; and BY was Right about the MMM & Blood Atonement;

Not Sure if GBH was Right about ANYTHING, but TSM was 'Right' about "Let's Go Shopping", that's For Sure!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2016 03:02PM by GNPE.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: June 15, 2016 03:07PM

I keep looking for reasons to bookmark CNN for my news, and then nonsense like this sends me back to MSNBC even if it was "assimilated" by agenda-driven sorts who put politics and profits ahead of authentic journalism.

From the folks at NPR...

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2016/06/15/481635239/java-lovers-rejoice-coffee-doesnt-pose-a-cancer-risk-who-panel-says

>The World Health Organization's cancer research agency has given coffee the green light. The group concludes that coffee does not pose a cancer risk, and experts say a regular coffee habit may even be protective of good health.

>The backstory: In 1991, the World Health Organization's International Agency for Research on Cancer listed coffee as a possible carcinogen. This classification was based on what the IARC says was "limited evidence" that coffee was associated with a higher risk of bladder cancer.

>But, over the last 25 years, the body of evidence has pointed in a new direction. "Many epidemiological studies now available showed that coffee drinking had no carcinogenic effects for cancers," the IARC statement concludes.

>Researchers reviewed more than 500 studies on more than 20 different types of cancers. The group concludes that coffee may in fact help protect against the risk of cancers of the liver and uterus. In addition, coffee consumption has been associated with a reduced risk of colorectal cancer in a number of studies.

>One word of caution: The agency warns that extremely hot beverages may increase the risk of cancer. For instance, the group looked at studies from South America where mate is consumed at very hot temperatures.

CNN is guilty of cherry-picking, that's all...

Posted by: danr ( )
Date: June 15, 2016 03:48PM

My tbm wife likes her hot chocolate really hot, I like my coffee more on the warm side, but in her mind she is being more healthy than me.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: June 15, 2016 08:10PM

Smith's plagiarism of the "health nuts of his time" in the WoW doesn't mention cancer.
And mormon "prophets" have said numerous times that hot chocolate was OK, and other hot drinks that weren't coffee or tea were OK.

So...no, he wasn't right.

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: June 15, 2016 08:17PM

I don't actually like my drinks overly hot, but I've decided I'd rather have cancer than go back to Mormonism. Seriously. Not kidding.

Posted by: brett ( )
Date: June 15, 2016 09:02PM

Church officials have always said that "hot" drinks (coffee, tea) are bad for you due to the caffeine. They have never said anything about temperature.

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: June 16, 2016 05:25PM

Are people drinking talcum powder at 150F? Kinda dry isn't it.

Chinese or was it Japaneses ladies say if it is too hot to hold it is too hot to drink.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.