Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: demoneca ( )
Date: June 17, 2016 12:16AM

Compared to 5 years ago? 15? I'm asking specifically about non-members who have minimal knowledge of the church through school peers, work peers, cousins (any distant relatives), politicians, or similar relationships. Has knowledge of the church increased over this time span due to technology?

I'm curious how the big events that happen in the church, like the essays, court cases, and even BYU football, affect the general public. Due to how easily information can be accessed through technology, do you think more people have knowledge of the church beyond the feeling that the members are just "the nicest people who are Christian too"?

I've only been paying attention for the past year. Five years ago, I was too cautious to read in depth. Based on various comment sections, I feel like more people are talking about the church. They're at least seeing it. So many people read the comments. Many people do a quick google search out of curiosity. Not sure how many read beyond Wikipedia though. That may be where it stops, for now.

Can someone clue me in to any trends you've noticed?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2016 12:21AM by demoneca.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 17, 2016 12:38AM

One important trend is the church's apparently extensive efforts to jury-rig search engine results. It's called SEO, search engine optimization. It refers to the attempt to 'jiggle' things so that it appears that the most selected items when Google is asked about mormons are the church sites. Church SEO tries to get them at the top of the first page of search results.

Posted by: demoneca ( )
Date: June 17, 2016 12:44AM

Interesting. I didn't know the church did this. I guess it's no surprise, since they practically own Utah government. I wanna know the secrets stashed in the vault!

Posted by: blakballoon ( )
Date: June 17, 2016 12:54AM

Google 'Mormon church' and the entire screen is filled with links to Lds.org. Tap it over to the news tab and the Mormon news headlines are mostly negative.

"Mormon missionaries lure children..."

"Mormon church broke me..."

"3rd sex abuse lawsuit for Mormon church.."

"Mormon church interfered with murder trial.."

"Mormon church finds new target for homophobia.."

"Mormon church made me hate myself.."

That's just today on my news search. I'm amazed the mishie's baptise anyone!

Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: June 17, 2016 01:26AM

With headlines like those it must be almost impossible to get anybody to join!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.