Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: msmom ( )
Date: June 19, 2016 08:09PM

This was the last Sunday of First Parish regular services. Throughout the summer there will be half hour services in our small chapel, led by a different member of the congregation each week. We will resume in our large sanctuary the weekend after Labor Day.

We held a flower communion today. This is a UU tradition started by a UU minister in Europe during WW II. Everyone brings a flower or two, these are placed in a common basket at the front of the sanctuary. A blessing is read over them. Then everyone walks to the basket, as in communion and takes a flower or 2, different from what they brought. (The church always provides extra flowers as well.)

Today, instead of leaving flowers in a common basket to be picked up during communion, everyone was asked to hold their flowers. We then walked to the front, one by one, and placed our flowers in a very large vase arrangement. As we did so, our minister read aloud the names and ages of everyone who was murdered at the nightclub in Orlando. Then she took a picture to send to the minister of the UU church in Orlando, Kathy Schmitz. Rev. Kathy used to be a member of First Parish in Chelmsford. Our third son dated her youngest daughter back in the day.

There was also a bridging ceremony to recognize the graduating seniors. There were four. Each spoke very briefly. The minister offers a few words of encouragement and then we form a bridge. The congregation all move to the aisles as much as possible. We create an archway of hands and the “bridging” graduates pass through. The first portion of the bridge is created by all those who have previously “bridged” at First Parish. There were at least 8 young adults available to do that, including youngest son, who was also today’s elevator operator.

I have watched 3 of the 4 young people grow up in the church. The fourth joined the youth group as a sophomore and felt she had found her spiritual home. She has been participating (with the blessing of her parents) in the events of church life.

In less than an hour, the service was over. My two older grandchildren and I checked in with their uncle, youngest son, to see if a friend of his would join us for “Finding Dorey” later in the afternoon. Our next stop after church was Showcase Cinemas to buy advance tickets for however many people were coming. The family friend was available so seven of us enjoyed a movie together after lunch.

If I attend any of the summer services, I will be sure to return and report. Otherwise, I will probably start up again in the Fall when the “church year” begins.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: msmom ( )
Date: June 20, 2016 06:59PM

Posted by: mrm ( )
Date: June 20, 2016 08:36PM

I always enjoy your updates. I like the idea of taking the summer off

Posted by: bordergirl ( )
Date: June 20, 2016 10:21PM

Lovely!

No drama. No criticism. No exhortations against anything or anyone.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.