Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Xyandro ( )
Date: June 20, 2016 11:42AM

My parents and I had a rocky coming out. When I told them I was gay, I was treated to every negative stereotype the most conservative Mormons hold. In return I blasted them with my perspective on Mormonism, which they found highly offensive.

It was bad.

Things have gradually gotten better, at least in part because we stopped discussing gays or Mormonism. A few years have passed, I remarried (a guy this time), and she's been researching and trying to reconcile what she'd been taught with the reality she sees in me.

Saturday morning I went to a family event, the first time I'd seen my parents since the Orlando murders. As soon as I got there, my mom immediately sought me out and asked me how I was doing and if I was okay. I told her I'd been upset all week, and she sympathized and was clearly upset about it too.

After we'd talked for a few minutes, I turned to her and said, "You know, you were wrong about gay people."

And she responded with, "I know. I'm sorry."

This from a turbo-TBM all the way to the core. I can't even say how many times I've considered breaking off all contact. But right now I'm REALLY glad I didn't.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: scaredhusband ( )
Date: June 20, 2016 11:48AM

What a huge moment of growth. I am surprised that she was willing to admit that she was wrong. This could be the start of something better.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: June 20, 2016 11:50AM

So happy for you that you got that moment. I know how much it means.

I do think that having the blowout at the beginning was a good thing--get all the cards on the table. No more walking on egg shells.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: June 20, 2016 11:53AM

Those may have been the hardest words your mother has ever had to utter. Bravo to her for uttering them, and to you for persisting in changing her attitude.

One down, millions to go :)

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: June 20, 2016 01:33PM

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: June 20, 2016 01:35PM

A happy ending !!!!!!!!!!!! If only all people could come to the

realization that being homosexual is not a choice. Maybe then

my cousin would still be alive today.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: June 20, 2016 01:47PM

So many would still be alive if all people realized homosexuality isn't a choice. An uncle of mine would still be alive if he were able to be himself around my grandparents who thought that it was a sin.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: June 20, 2016 01:49PM

Not a choice, and, NOT a threat.

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: June 20, 2016 06:24PM

I am going to bookmark your post so I will have it to read whenever I get to feeling pi$$¥ and depressed and like the bullies and bad guys always win.

Thank you.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: June 20, 2016 07:13PM

And your mother shows us this. Sometimes wisdom does come with age and a more compassionate understanding of the world. I've seen this with my own mother, too, Xyandro. I'm very happy that your mother is coming 'round.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: June 20, 2016 07:35PM

This is HUGE and I am glad to hear it!

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: June 20, 2016 10:20PM

"Congratulations on your Enlightenment"

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.