Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: June 20, 2016 01:54PM

Perhaps if tyrants, like Holland, weren't running the church, less people would be depressed.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865656534/LDS-Church-releases-new-video-of-Elder-Holland-addressing-depression.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: June 20, 2016 03:35PM

He got impressions about depression.

WOW! What an inspired man. Crazy.

It pisses me off how this man thinks he can compare a financial struggle with the suicidal girl. And he couches in religious terms like this is just temporary setback.

Holland says one thing and the people say different things but he lumps them together in his narcissistic inspirational reductionism for Jesus.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2016 03:39PM by Elder Berry.

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: June 20, 2016 03:49PM

This man is the cause of depression, doubt, and desperation. He should do a simple video where he states on camera: "Guilty."

"The note has been noted."

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: June 20, 2016 04:46PM

Don't worry about being happy now. It will work out later.

It all comes back to that stupid plan of salvation flow chart!

Posted by: scaredhusband ( )
Date: June 20, 2016 04:55PM

My mind went somewhere else with the title. What does a tractor manufacturer have anything to do with depression?

lol. I got told a million times growing up that "wickedness never was happiness".

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: June 20, 2016 10:56PM

If your New Holland has a back hoe, you can fill in that depression. Which I suppose can have a dirty meaning.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: June 21, 2016 01:00PM

If you fill it in it won't be holy anymore.

Posted by: JenMikell ( )
Date: June 20, 2016 04:59PM

Hang on, let me stop my head from spinning all the way around...okay...and Visine...all right.

He BRIEFLY mentioned somewhere in the middle about seeking professional help. But the focus of the message was ABSOLUTELY about seeking "Heavenly Father" as the key to recovery.
Spirituality CAN be important in working with a person experiencing Depression. For some, it's a motivating factor in not attempting suicide. For others, they are able to use faith to help themselves maintain hope. That's great. Treating Depression is complicated. If I have a patient/client in front of me who is describing symptoms, I am going to ask them when the last time was they had a physical? This is for a couple of reasons. One, there can be a physiological reason for the symptoms such as hormones, thyroid, a change in medications taken for physical problems, etc. Second, a person with Depression may not be taking care of their physical health, and we want to get on top of any issues before they are exacerbated. They may be avoiding the doctor because they are worried about a physical problem, and what it might mean. Once the physical is done, then I would refer the person to a psychiatrist for anti-depressants.
All the while, however, I would be doing therapy with the individual. We'd be doing crisis planning, behavioral work, and working our way toward some insight-oriented work as he or she started feeling better. Of course, I would incorporate the client's faith, as he or she felt it was appropriate. But if they told me they were just going to pray about it, I would have grave concerns...literally.
Also, just because one of the 12 said it 3 years ago, doesn't mean bishops are following it. I go out of my mind (no pun intended!) whenever I read on here that a bishop is handing out psychological advice, or any sort of "counseling." I worked very hard for the letters after my name, and take them as a huge responsibility to those who trust me enough to work with me. I don't, for a second, trust a bishop to refer a person for the kind of help they actually need. From what I have read here, it seems to happen rarely, if at all. It sounds like they just get a new "calling" to keep them busy, and told to pray about it.
It deeply saddens me that creative, resourceful, loving people are suffering because they aren't getting the help they need. Depression requires ongoing management by people with specialized training.
If you are struggling, please talk to someone. I am happy to talk to anyone who has questions about how to find the right professional for you.
All my best to all of you!
-Jenna

Posted by: struggler ( )
Date: June 21, 2016 09:14AM

These are good words and I wish you had been around here when I was struggling so long to find a person who could help. I may have found that person now, but have entered into couples counseling, since the sum of it is affecting my marriage. I am very tired of my spouse seeing LDS leadership as qualified and helpful, and that is one of the things I have brought to the table. They have only served so far to keep my spouse in a permanent condition of shame and loathing.

Posted by: JenMikell ( )
Date: June 21, 2016 01:30PM

I'm so sorry you are dealing with this. Unfortunately, your wife has to buy into the therapeutic process in order for couples counseling to be successful.
I am glad to hear you have found someone to work with who is helpful to you. I will answer any questions I can, should they come up. My best to you.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: June 20, 2016 05:17PM

Which is worse?

That Holland knows he's BSing and does it anyway?

Or that he thinks he's actually channeling sacred wisdom?

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: June 20, 2016 07:53PM

And Holland is so well trained in giving advice on depression!! or anything else!! He doesn't even know a plastic surgeon! Think about that!!
The EVIL CULT strikes again, and again, and again, etc. etc forever.

Posted by: friendlyeconomist ( )
Date: June 20, 2016 08:44PM

I was struggling with an episode of depression a while back, and about ten people have sent me this video in Facebook messages today. I'm honestly tempted to watch it...

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: June 20, 2016 10:11PM

WOW Holland, how many years now has the media covered the issue of the high rate of depression among the mormon population? (as a minister to people if you have missed this news you are not doing your job).

Your manner of addressing depression in your video gives the distinct impression god called you with the 'feelings' you received to take on this task. You did not come right out and make this claim, just hinted with your statement. I call this intentionally being devious. Here, once again, the cult is seeking control by saying, in their nuanced way, that the church is on top of vital issues and is 'the' go-to source for its members, not the evil world.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: June 20, 2016 10:58PM

Oh right, he got his psychology degree at the Y?

Shove it old man. You and your ilk make people

depressed.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: June 20, 2016 11:22PM

depression is a real problem. The realities of a disappointing life can be hard to bear. When a person is past the time of life for when things were suppose to happen but didn't it's not easy to be cheerful. Mormonism certainly doesn't help people who are not already special and successful. I don't see how "an atonement" can possibly fix the complex lives people live.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: June 20, 2016 11:43PM

This Heartsellâ„¢, with music and everything; I'm not wanting to see something like a Humane Society ad with emotional tugs!

Fix depression...because...God?

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: June 21, 2016 12:15AM

Well here's the stats on suicide: http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=24937434

Child abuse: http://www.schools.utah.gov/data/

Domestic violence: http://udvc.org/utah-domestic-violence-information/statistics-reports

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2016 12:21AM by dydimus.

Posted by: Jerry ( )
Date: June 21, 2016 09:14AM

Holland has suffered from depression for many years, which means he's acquainted with the subject, but it also means he doesn't know how to make it go away. It's like Rush Limbaugh giving weight loss advice.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: June 21, 2016 09:54AM

I admire any of you who can actually watch this guy speak of depression and see the whole damn thing.

He just bugs me, and I can only watch about 30 seconds of it.

Ughhhh.

Posted by: m ( )
Date: June 21, 2016 12:49PM

A huge step in overcoming depression in my opinion is letting

go of the ever so "unattainable expectation of Mormonism."

less is more!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.