Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: kookoo4kokaubeam ( )
Date: May 02, 2011 02:19PM

First, I apologize that this topic isn't timely.

On Good Friday I took the opportunity to visit a local Episcopal church's Good Friday noon service. I have attended Episcopal services before and have always found them inspiring -even as I consider myself more or less a hopeful christian agnostic.

I decided that on this visit that I would take the eucharist, or communion. This is the first time I have ever taken sacrament at a non LDS church. The Episcopal Church is very liberal and allows all baptized christians (and even just anyone who wants to) to take communion.

There were a few hundred in the congregation and it was incredibly quiet. This particular parish is known for its choir and sang appropriately. I sat in the pew pondering. It was wonderful to just ponder. No speaker or Bishop or STake President or High Councillor or GA telling me what to think. I sat there and pondered. I guess you could call it prayer in a way. When it was time for my pew to get up I had no reservation. I just went up and felt no guilt or discomfort or feeling out of place. I watced those in front of me for the proper etiquette of receiving and followed suit. The female priest handed the bread into my outreached hands. She looked at me in the eyes and said "the body of christ". Next to her a male priest held the chalice of wine. You could either drink or dip your bread into it (I chose dipping). He also looked me in the eyes and said "The blood of Christ. Drink and ye shall be filled". I then shuffled off and sat back down.

Some thoughts... In the Episcopal Church, as in other mainline dominations, the church offers the bread and wine and the congregation gets up and goes to receive it. In the LDS Church the church controls this process by bringing the sacrament to you - illustrating, by design or not, that the church is in control of your salvation. Whereas on Good Friday I had the distinct impression that it is mankind that is control of their salvation.

I also think that wine provides much more powerful imagery than water. When I dipped the bread (a pita type of bread) into the wine and placed it into my mouth it was a much more intense experience than drinking some nasty tap water out of an LDS meetinghouses water pipes.

I don't know where the road out of Mormonism will ultimately lead me. I still have one foot stuck in it for family reasons. I have upon occasion tried to re-assimilate back into the Morg collective as a sort of NOM but as you all know that really isn't possible. I still find I have a need for the spiritual. Sometimes I can find that walking through the forest or during special times with family. Much to my surprise I have also found profound peace and spirituality in the belly of what I use to consider one of "the great whores of the earth". Even more surprising is that for 90 minutes on Good Friday 2011 I felt more peace and a hint of eternity than I have for the past decade of 3 hour blocks and temple sessions.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: May 03, 2011 08:52AM

OK, not the most exciting topic I guess...

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: May 03, 2011 08:57AM

kookoo4kokaubeam Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> OK, not the most exciting topic I guess...

I found it interesting and feel much the same about the Episcopal services.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: May 03, 2011 08:57AM

I put myself (only psychocybernetically) in the same position. I'd better try out some church finally and see what I think, myself.

Date: May 03, 2011 09:58AM

denominaitons - especially those that can trace a good chunk of their style of worship to the beginnings of Christianity. One of the reasons I enjoy the Episcopal eucharist is that connection to the ancient while still firmly rooted in the present.

Thanks for responding cludgie & bona dea!

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: May 03, 2011 10:11AM

In the Catholic church, which I grew up in, there is no conventional mass or consecration on Good Friday. Instead, there is the "Three Hours Agony" (sound familiar guys?) from 1pm 'til 3, also known as the "Mass of the Presanctified". Hosts consecrated the previous day are used. I guess day old bread doesn't lose it's savior. (Yeah, I know. But I know where I'm going, and I've already picked out my handbasket).

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: May 03, 2011 10:22AM

I spent Easter Sunday morning at the Lutheran church in Manhattan Beach, invited by Art Vanick. He played bass, some other guys played electric guitar and piano and yet another group, called "Ye Old Surfer Dudes Brass Quartet", were on the horns. Loud, happy music! And great singing! Last Sunday, I went to the UCC and learned that (quoting the minister) "God's Love doesn't discriminate and is promiscuous." (nothing you'll ever hear at a mormon service).

I still consider myself atheist, but I like live theater so I look for the church with the best show.

Posted by: FatTuesday ( )
Date: May 03, 2011 09:43PM

Date: May 04, 2011 09:44AM

But for those who are uneasy about drinking from a community cup they will offer alternatives.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.