Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: michaelsa ( )
Date: June 30, 2016 01:57PM

When friends say - "I knew that all along" when responding to my concerns about historical problems I have begun to reply with, "you...my friend...knew that (joseph smith married a 14 year old etc.) all along and didn't tell me about it?"

Put's them on their heels a bit.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: June 30, 2016 02:27PM

I simply turn it back on them and ask why, if they were a good friend and member, didn't tell the ward or you? Why didn't they refer you to books, articles, talks from leaders on seer stones, polyandry, different versions of the First vision, blood atonement, etc....? I then ask them what references they had for so much knowledge. 99.9% of them haven't even read "Rough Stone Rolling" or Quinn's writings. They just knew by some sort of inspiration or vision, because they sure didn't hear it at any church meeting or class....especially after correlation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2016 02:29PM by dydimus.

Posted by: Elder What's-his-face ( )
Date: June 30, 2016 02:41PM

I reply with a simple question, why are you lying to your children to keep them in it?

Posted by: rahrahrah ( )
Date: June 30, 2016 02:41PM

who rudely confronted me at a party in front of friends and family.

I loudly asked him why he didn't tell me before I attended the temple after being hounded by him for months to go on a mission, about the pay lay ale chanting and the throat slitting stuff.

I told him that in hindsight those things and others seem important enough to have explained to an impressionable 18 year old before he was put in a big room and made to swear an oath.

He actually apologized.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: June 30, 2016 02:44PM

You knew all along?
Then why are you still a member?

Posted by: Bruce A Holt ( )
Date: June 30, 2016 04:31PM

Posted by: lunarquaker ( )
Date: June 30, 2016 03:32PM

here is the line I used on a tbm who said that [gleaned from rfm, of course]

"you KNEW about all that, well I for one could never belong to any organization that had it's beginnings in such IMORALITY, but I guess I just have higher standards than you" rebuttal....... shocked look & crickets

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: June 30, 2016 03:42PM

I used to feel guilty for not telling my friends the Church was twoo.
But now, "Yay, Me!"

Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: June 30, 2016 04:18PM

Thats like buying a house and discovering massive cracks in the foundation and going back to the seller to complain about the lack of structural integrity only to have them say, "I knew about those cracks all along, I just didnt tell you because I didnt think it was important."
Thats called fraud and youd win a lawsuit against them in any court of law.
Why do MORmONS think the truth is less important than selling a,house?

Posted by: Cpete ( )
Date: June 30, 2016 09:14PM

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: June 30, 2016 10:29PM

Well doctor, I fell down and the cucumber went right up my arse.

Posted by: Cpete ( )
Date: June 30, 2016 11:19PM

I could have pickle it.

Posted by: anonculus ( )
Date: July 01, 2016 05:41PM

...it was a million to one shot, doc.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: June 30, 2016 11:47PM

"Ziller knew that all along"

``````````\|||/
``````````(0 o)
|--ooO-----(0)-----------|
|----NINJAS KILLED MY----|
|--FAMILY! NEED MONEY ---|
|--TO LEARN KUNG FU!-----|
|--------------Ooo-------|
````````|__|__|
````````||``||
````````ooO Ooo

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: July 01, 2016 12:33AM

The very first TBM I talked to about the issues with mormonism claimed they always knew about that stuff.

I, having no experience with being an exmo in the know, was unprepared for that come back. In fact, it left me a bit speechless. In hindsight, there are so many things I wish i'd said. I was very unprepared for this person to say they knew this stuff. I'd known them for decades and they'd never breathed a hint of any of it. What the hell? How does one KNOW the dirty laundry of mormonism and never breathe a word of it to the people you supposedly love the most. You know, your kids, sibs, spouse, inlaws, etc. No, you keep it all quiet. Why? Because YOU want them to be mormon and stay mormon. The cost is of no concern. How low can one go?

This person now refers to me as a liar and won't pick up their phone. I'm so done. I've had enough of mormonism and mormons to last me 100 lifetimes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2016 12:33AM by madalice.

Posted by: byuatheist ( )
Date: July 01, 2016 01:10AM

Were you reading anti-Mormon material? (that being the only place you could have learnt it for decades) Were you aware that that is a cardinal sin? When I read the part in History of the Church where Joe denies his polygamy, I took him at his word. I was never told, by you or anyone else, that he was lying. Until the latter end of my senior year in Seminary, when the Church was forced to come clean about it. Pray tell: have we always been at war with Eastasia, or is that only a recent development?

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 01, 2016 06:53AM

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: July 01, 2016 10:19AM

I am very concerned about the personal integrity and morality of anyone who could "know that all along" and not be disgusted or at the very least want to get to the bottom of things.

Anyone saying that loses my respect instantly. The "dirt" on Joseph, Brigham, and their cult is not just innocent piffle and only a person with piffle for brains could overlook it.

Posted by: MyShelfBroke ( )
Date: July 01, 2016 10:21AM

HAHA! Oh goodness this is amazing. Thank you I have been getting this response so often and it is ANNOYING!

Posted by: Xyandro ( )
Date: July 01, 2016 01:05PM

I've gotten that claim a few times. Yet when I ask follow-up questions, it's quickly apparent they know very little---just enough to make them think it's not a problem.

Posted by: anon70 ( )
Date: July 01, 2016 01:39PM

Ditto. I even have one friend that will be upset and shocked and then come back a few weeks later and claim she knew it all along and that there is a "spiritual" reason we don't understand for it.

Posted by: MormonThinker ( )
Date: July 01, 2016 01:19PM

This is why the Church released the essays and is slowly letting some of this info be known, of course in only a sugar-coated way. Now, when a member is told something like the Book of Abraham papyri has been found and Egyptologists show that it doesn't match at all with what Joseph said, the TBM simply says he already knows about that because he read or maybe only heard that a church essay simply explains it all away.

The devil is in the details as they say, when all the evidence is shown, then it is clear that these are serious problems that can't be so easily dismissed. But the Church won't allow ALL the problems and details to be taught and try to explain them.

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: July 01, 2016 02:24PM

TBM's MUST protect the image of LDS InC even becoming liars. A lie is a lie except when TMB's lie for God. Funny how an all powerful God needs TBM's to lie for him.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: July 01, 2016 05:59PM

That one thing outweighs all the possible good TSCC could bring to your life. If you have to lie to yourself, you can't be true to yourself.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: July 01, 2016 03:55PM

They lie--they knew nothing and were afraid to look it up.

Posted by: liesarenotuseful ( )
Date: July 01, 2016 06:04PM

I try to explain that if I had found out these things long ago, I would have left long ago. Unacceptable is unacceptable no matter when I find out.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: July 01, 2016 07:05PM

Good response, michaelsa!

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: July 01, 2016 09:22PM

(Pulling out pen and paper) "What else do you know?"

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.